Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Replacing old system

Replacing old system

Alpine Dragon

I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland would
I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications (or
similar specifications)?

System Unit Only

Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
80GB SATA Seagate HDD
Standard DVD-ROM

If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

No modem
No monitor

Commercial Offers also accepted through http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

TIA

Joy

"Alpine Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f88fb2a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

would
> I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

(or
> similar specifications)?
>

> System Unit Only
>
> Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
> P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
> Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
> nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
> 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
> Standard DVD-ROM
>
> If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to replace
an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away? I'm
thinking of replacing it with a portable.
Joy

Phillip Weston

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:26:50 +1300, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

>"Alpine Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:3f88fb2a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

>would
>> I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

>(or
>> similar specifications)?
>>

>> System Unit Only
>>
>> Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
>> P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
>> Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
>> nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
>> 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
>> Standard DVD-ROM
>>
>> If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

>Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to replace
>an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away? I'm
>thinking of replacing it with a portable.

You could auction it on trademe and fetch a few hundred for it. Or
even advertise it on nz.wanted.

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

Mr Scebe

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f88f559$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to

replace
> an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away?

I'm
> thinking of replacing it with a portable.
> Joy

Find a friend with young children who doesn't have/can't afford a PC. Give
it to them. Or a family member. While you may be able to get a few hundred
for the box, it is far more preferable to help someone else out.

--
Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.

Mr Scebe

"Alpine Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f88fb2a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

would
> I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

(or
> similar specifications)?
>

> System Unit Only
>
> Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
> P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
> Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
> nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
> 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
> Standard DVD-ROM
>
> If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card
>
> No modem
> No monitor

www.e-one.co.nz or
www.compulink.co.nz

I have found that they give the best service of any dealers. For price, it's
hard to go past www.qmb.co.nz

--
Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.
Winners go home and **** the prom queen".
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

E. Scrooge

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f88f559$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Alpine Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f88fb2a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

> would
> > I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

> (or
> > similar specifications)?
> >

> > System Unit Only
> >
> > Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
> > P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
> > Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
> > nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
> > 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
> > Standard DVD-ROM
> >
> > If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

> Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to

replace
> an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away?

I'm
> thinking of replacing it with a portable.
> Joy

For all that it's worth, it might still be more use to you to just hang onto
it and use it into the ground as a second PC to your new PC. If you've had
it from new it hurts to just damn near give it away, as it's not completely
useless.

E. Scrooge

T.N.O.

"Mr Scebe" wrote
> While you may be able to get a few hundred
> for the box, it is far more preferable to help someone else out.

That depends on what your situation is.

Allistar

Joy wrote:

> "Alpine Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f88fb2a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm looking at replacing my old and tired PIII 550. Where in Auckland

> would
>> I find the best deal for the below box with the following specifications

> (or
>> similar specifications)?
>>

>> System Unit Only
>>
>> Intel 865PE chipset or higher Motherboard (ASUS, Intel, or Gigabyte)
>> P4 2.8C GHz 800 MHz FSB
>> Minimum of 512MB RAM preferably, 1GB (512MB x 2) PC3200 (400MHz) RAM
>> nVidia FX5200 or FX5600 128MB
>> 80GB SATA Seagate HDD
>> Standard DVD-ROM
>>
>> If not already included on the Motherboard, 10/100Mbit Ethernet Card

> Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to
> replace
> an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away?
> I'm thinking of replacing it with a portable.
> Joy

Heh. My home machine (the one I am typing this into) is a P3 450 (with 384Mb
and a 9Gb + 4Gb + 4Gb SCSI) and it suits me fine. The only thing I miss the
processing power with is converting DV files taken from a video camera into
SVCD format. It takes about 30 hours for one CD worth.

I'll take your P3 500 CPU off you if you like

Honestly though, I find a p3 450 more then adequate (except for the video
editing).

Allistar.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:26:50 +1300, Joy wrote:

> Nice choice, not that I'm a techy or anything but like you I need to replace
> an aging P3 500. What do we have to do with the old box, give it away? I'm
> thinking of replacing it with a portable.
> Joy

Run it up as a firewall or put a big drive in it and used as a
fileserver/print server.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:19:48 +1300, Mr Scebe wrote:

> Find a friend with young children who doesn't have/can't afford a PC. Give
> it to them. Or a family member. While you may be able to get a few hundred
> for the box, it is far more preferable to help someone else out.

The going rate around here for old p2/3 systems is about $20