Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > wireless Problems

wireless Problems

Steve

Hi All

I have just purchased a Dynalink RTA300W ADSL Router with wireless access.
I have a PCMCIA card WLC030 in my laptop. the problem is as I move my laptop
away from the router to my lounge the signal disappears. The distance is
only
about 12 metres away. I have tried different channels which has little
effect (1-14).
Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation. What is the
expected
range of wireless as I believe it should be better than I am experiencing.

Thanks
Steve

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:02:26 +1300, "Steve" <sk_muir@1654nospam?%.xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I have just purchased a Dynalink RTA300W ADSL Router with wireless access.
>I have a PCMCIA card WLC030 in my laptop. the problem is as I move my laptop
>away from the router to my lounge the signal disappears. The distance is
>only
>about 12 metres away. I have tried different channels which has little
>effect (1-14).
>Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation. What is the
>expected
>range of wireless as I believe it should be better than I am experiencing.
>
>Thanks
>Steve

Mount the Antenna High up on the Router and away from metal cabinets..

What type of walls is it trying to get through, plus large metal cabinets can
block the reception..

Nathan Mercer

<Big http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:02:26 +1300, "Steve"

<sk_muir@1654nospam?%.xtra.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi All
> >
> >I have just purchased a Dynalink RTA300W ADSL Router with wireless

access.
> >I have a PCMCIA card WLC030 in my laptop. the problem is as I move my

laptop
> >away from the router to my lounge the signal disappears. The distance is
> >only
> >about 12 metres away. I have tried different channels which has little
> >effect (1-14).
> >Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation. What is the
> >expected
> >range of wireless as I believe it should be better than I am

experiencing.

> >Thanks
> >Steve
> >

> Mount the Antenna High up on the Router and away from metal cabinets..
>
> What type of walls is it trying to get through, plus large metal cabinets

can
> block the reception..

Put the Dynalink unit upright on the stand it comes with

pbs

Big <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
??????

Over the last few days you seem to have posted some empty messages. Is
this intentional or am I missing something?

Subject: Re: That stinky smell of Scumware, I smell it every time I
visit this News Group.
Date: 01/10/03 18:58

<(E-Mail Removed)>
Re: Outlook security But Why Use it....??? --
05/10/03 20:17
1

<(E-Mail Removed)>
Re: Is this another Worm doing the rounds? Yes plenty or Worms here..
10/10/03 19:36
3

<(E-Mail Removed)>
Re: Is this another Worm doing the rounds? Yes plenty of Worms here..
10/10/03 21:09
3

<(E-Mail Removed)>
Re: Sunday it's the Linux Installfest_ Only for Luni Lunux users..
10/10/03 22:43
1

<(E-Mail Removed)>
Re: Sunday it's the Linux Installfest_ Only Idiots need to atend..
11/10/03 18:05

T.N.O.

"Steve" wrote
> as I move my laptop
> away from the router to my lounge the signal disappears.
> Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation.

Is that going through a wall, or line of site?

T.N.O.

<Big (E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> What type of walls is it trying to get through, plus large metal cabinets

can
> block the reception..

This will sound stupid, but also bodies of water... people.

Steve

Hi

The signal has to travel thru a couple of walls, i have been told
this model has an internal antenae, but looking at the back of it
there is a socket with four pins just below power socket similar
to a USB port which i was wondering if that was for an external
antenae. I currently have the unit sitting on top of my PC tower
standing upright on its stand.

Thanks for your help

Steve

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f8887c9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steve" wrote
> > as I move my laptop
> > away from the router to my lounge the signal disappears.
> > Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation.

> Is that going through a wall, or line of site?

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 12 Oct 2003 , pbs wrote :

> Big <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ??????
>
> Over the last few days you seem to have posted some empty messages. Is
> this intentional or am I missing something?

> Subject: Re: That stinky smell of Scumware, I smell it every time I
> visit this News Group.
> Date: 01/10/03 18:58
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Re: Outlook security But Why Use it....??? --
> 05/10/03 20:17
> 1
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Re: Is this another Worm doing the rounds? Yes plenty or Worms here..
> 10/10/03 19:36
> 3
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Re: Is this another Worm doing the rounds? Yes plenty of Worms here..
> 10/10/03 21:09
> 3
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Re: Sunday it's the Linux Installfest_ Only for Luni Lunux users..
> 10/10/03 22:43
> 1
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Re: Sunday it's the Linux Installfest_ Only Idiots need to atend..
> 11/10/03 18:05
> 1

No. Stupid funnybucker puts what little he has to say in the subject line.
The body of the message, as with all his posts, is content-free.

--
Nicolaas.

- I was not CREATING a disturbance, I was improving one already there.

T.N.O.

"Steve" wrote
> The signal has to travel thru a couple of walls

This sounds remarkably like the problem you are having.

> , i have been told
> this model has an internal antenae, but looking at the back of it
> there is a socket with four pins just below power socket similar
> to a USB port which i was wondering if that was for an external
> antenae.

errr, dont know, you could try the manual, it may explain what it is.

> I currently have the unit sitting on top of my PC tower
> standing upright on its stand.

Well, that *should* be fine... if you can, move it so that the signal is
travelling straight through(90 degrees) the wall, or maybe even through a
door, see if it improves, you could try a bigger aerial on the laptop if
that is an option.

Mainlander

In article <bm9o0p$rhr$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Big <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ??????
>
> Over the last few days you seem to have posted some empty messages. Is
> this intentional or am I missing something?

Don't you know Woger posts empty messages with everything in the subject
line?