Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > coders lend me your ear

coders lend me your ear

Steven H

A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.

this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
due to telecom being a pack of pricks.

However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.

:- SNIP

I am going to propose a shared initiative to the other programmers in
the group, my experience is in C# thus would prefer other .NET
programmers (doesnít matter what language as long as it is a Managed
Language).

Here is a run down of what I propose

Firstly you need a Front end, and a Assembly for each of the ISP's, and
a shared library that does all the shared kinda stuff.

All the ISP Assemblys will do is Go to the web page with the given
credentials and return a Collection which the UI will then render.

Example

Library DLLs will have an agreed public interface (C# syntax used here)

There will need to be a shared Assembly
Namespace DSLBandwidthMonitor.SHARED {
public class RecordsCollection : stack {/* This class is a
Item Controller, donít need anything fancy so a stack
Could do the job (at first glance) */}
public class Record {/* This class is a Collection Item
Essensailly holding information on Date, International
& Local numbers */}
/* Mabye some other shared **** */
}

This Assembly (IHUG.DLL) would be used by clients who have IHUG as an
ISP Its sole pourpose is to get the information, parse it, and return
it.
Uses DSLBandwidthMonitor.SHARED;
Namespace DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve {
public class IHUG{
public IHUG(){}
public RecordsCollection Fetch(string UserName, string Password)
{ /* Goes to IHUG and Pulls down the information, Parses it and Returns
it, of course will need to act upon possible exceptions generated by
itself or .SHARED */}
}}

This Assembly (XTRA.DLL) would be used by clients who have XTRA as an
ISP Its sole pourpose is to get the information, parse it, and return
it.
Uses DSLBandwidthMonitor.SHARED;
Namespace DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve {
public class XTRA{
public XTRA(){}
public RecordsCollection Fetch(string UserName, string Password)
{ /* Goes to XTRA and Pulls down the information, Parses it and Returns
it, of course will need to act upon possible exceptions generated by
itself or .SHARED */}
}}

and your front end Assembly (WinForms)
Its sole purpose is to display the information, it will need to call the
right .Retrieve.* class.
uses DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve;
Namespace DSLBandwidthMonitor.UI {
/* Calls DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve.* depending on the ISP being used
Waits for the information, Displays any exceptions generated
from .Retrieve or . SHARED and Outputs the retrieved information onto
a graph
*/
}

Reasoning behind the separate DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve.* classes is
because at any time one of those ISP's can change their web page and
thus break the application. It allows simple modification (without risk
of breaking others) and with .NET simple install (Just copy it).

Reasoning behind using .NET, well its what I know. No installer required
(just copy it to a directory and run it) - no I am not interested in
another lame arse language debate.

I would want to do this in a .NET managed language but if another group
wants to do this in another language go for it - just organize yourself.

Time table, we can get the Analysis & Logical Design done in the next
few weeks and start coding around Christmas holidays time - yes I am a
firm believer in the SDLC - and documentation (yes that stuff
programmers are meant to write but never get around to doing so).

There may be time associated with getting people with various skill
levels up to speed with modern OOP coding techniques - personally I
havenít got a clue how to parse an html table into something useable.

It is most likely a good idea to host this project at sourceforge.net as
it can simplify shared code access + it sounds cool

There of course would be opportunities for individual developers to post
their source code wherever they want (www.codeproject.com). I would
prefer this project to stay open source but it will be completely open
to discussion within the group.

I do believe however the time has come for such a program for New
Zealand Jet* customers.

This is my proposal and it of course is open to changes.

Email me OTL @ steven [dot] higgan [the@sign] orcon [dot] net [dot] nz
If you are interested in jumping on board.

Some of the information I would like:
Experience, .NET language (C#, Delphi, VB ...), & if you disagree on my
synopsis of how the project could be put together - your way. Your isp,
Any other information you would like to add.

As I said before I m completely open for discussion - feel free to
repost this email in any forum to get additional developers onboard.
However, if you post my email address un-fudged I will personally track
you down and whip your foreskin 1000 times with a cat of nine tails and
force you to run naked down the streets screaming at the top of your
lungs "I am free"

--------------------------------
Steven H

Gordon

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:17:22 +1300, Steven H wrote:

> A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
> little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
>
> this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
> due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
>
> However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
> going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
>
> :- SNIP

Why the hell does :- SNIP appear here?

Russell Smithies

Steven H wrote:
> A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
> little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
>
> this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
> due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
>
> However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
> going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.

-------------------huge SNIP------------------------

As far as I can see, UsageCheck only needs to have the URL changed and
re-compiled.
The page is still there, it's just moved a bit.
I emailed hin a few months back and he was away/too busy to fix it.

I don't supose anyone's asked Andrew to 'donate' his code to the ng?

Russell

Nicholas Sherlock

Russell Smithies wrote:
> Steven H wrote:
>> A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
>> little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
>>
>> this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
>> due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
>>
>> However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
>> going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
>>

> -------------------huge SNIP------------------------
>
> As far as I can see, UsageCheck only needs to have the URL changed and
> re-compiled.
> The page is still there, it's just moved a bit.
> I emailed hin a few months back and he was away/too busy to fix it.
>
> I don't supose anyone's asked Andrew to 'donate' his code to the ng?

I'll code it. What's the newsgroup's address? I didn't see the original post
in nz.comp.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Steven H

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, flash130
@yahoo.com says...
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:17:22 +1300, Steven H wrote:
>
> > A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
> > little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
> >
> > this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
> > due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
> >
> > However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
> > going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
> >
> > :- SNIP

> Why the hell does :- SNIP appear here?

ummmm because it is the beginning of what i copied

Steven H

Steven H

In article <rCNhb.174760$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)z says...
> Steven H wrote:
> > A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
> > little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
> >
> > this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
> > due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
> >
> > However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
> > going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
> >

> -------------------huge SNIP------------------------
>
> As far as I can see, UsageCheck only needs to have the URL changed and
> re-compiled.

which is exactly the reason why we need a program that is maintained not
just by a single individual but by several.

> The page is still there, it's just moved a bit.
> I emailed hin a few months back and he was away/too busy to fix it.

then dont count on your luck to get it fixed

Steven H

Steven H

In article <bmc734$hfu$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Russell Smithies wrote:
> > Steven H wrote:
> >> A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
> >> little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
> >>
> >> this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
> >> due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
> >>
> >> However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
> >> going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
> >>

> > -------------------huge SNIP------------------------
> >
> > As far as I can see, UsageCheck only needs to have the URL changed and
> > re-compiled.
> > The page is still there, it's just moved a bit.
> > I emailed hin a few months back and he was away/too busy to fix it.
> >
> > I don't supose anyone's asked Andrew to 'donate' his code to the ng?

> I'll code it. What's the newsgroup's address? I didn't see the original post
> in nz.comp.

http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&threadm=MPG.19f2206f95055100989765%40news.dun.ihu g.co.nz&rnum=1
&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DCoders%2Blend%2Bme%2Byour%2Bear%2BSte ven%2BH%
2BNZ.COMP%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%
3DMPG.19f2206f95055100989765%2540news.dun.ihug.co. nz%26rnum%3D1

holy ****!

http://tinyurl.com/qtk5

Steven H