Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Do spammers really lie?

Do spammers really lie?

Bruce Simpson

Here's something worth a bit of a giggle and which truly reinforces
the old adage that spammers always lie.

While trawling through my junk email folder today, I found a spam that
contained a header line saying "Report abuse to mailing provider at

Now I figured that this would be a decoy so I went to
http://www.postnote.com Hmmm... why would any email provider
dedicate an entire URL to handling abuse and unsubscribe requests
unless they were in the spam business?

Never mind, I clicked on "Report Abuse" which took me to the form at:
http://www.postnote.com/abuse.html

This form invites you to enter your email address, name and a copy of
the offending spam.

Now I was half expecting that it would simply take your email address
and add it to another spam list -- but no, they certainly don't do
that.

I leave it up to anyone with a modicum of HTML knowledge to take a
look at the code for that page and tell everyone what it does with
your complaint.

Oh yeah... I wouldn't try unsubscribing either -- because you can bet
your bottom dollar that the unsubscribe request *will* add your
address to goodness knows how many mailing lists.

Don't ya just love spammers???

Alden Bates

Bruce Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I leave it up to anyone with a modicum of HTML knowledge to take a
>look at the code for that page and tell everyone what it does with
>your complaint.

My gosh, what a huuuuuge surprise

Alden
--
http://www.tetrap.com

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce Simpson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I leave it up to anyone with a modicum of HTML knowledge to take a
>look at the code for that page and tell everyone what it does with
>your complaint.

<form name="form1" method="post" action="">

Not a sausage.

....and neither the Report Abuse nor Unsubscribe links exist.

Stumpy.
--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh Timaru, New Zealand
<http://marsh.orcon.net.nz/>