Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Alternatives for browser, email, newsgroup client..........?

Alternatives for browser, email, newsgroup client..........?

Scott

Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows XP.
So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the programs/updates
I'm gonna need.
I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if it's
good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them. I
don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or 4,
but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more. Not
much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try what's
available (currently using IE)

It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email, web)?

What's everybody else using - and why?

Would love to hear your comments.
Thanks
Scott

Peter

this quote is from Scott of Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15 :

> It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
> alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
> disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,
> web)?

I think Mozilla is great, because it has tabbed browsing and because AFAIK
it is more secure. Also check out Opera.
Whatever browsers you are considering, be sure to research their security,
and maybe test them out, for example ...
http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/

HTH

Peter

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:28:32 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>this quote is from Scott of Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15 :
>>
>> It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
>> alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
>> disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,
>> web)?

>I think Mozilla is great, because it has tabbed browsing and because AFAIK
>it is more secure. Also check out Opera.
>Whatever browsers you are considering, be sure to research their security,
>and maybe test them out, for example ...
>http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
>
>HTH
>
>Peter

Agent for News & E-mail..

Enkidu

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15:18 +1300, "Scott" <****(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows XP.
>So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the programs/updates
>I'm gonna need.
>I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
>horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
>something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if it's
>good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
>available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them. I
>don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or 4,
>but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more. Not
>much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try what's
>available (currently using IE)
>
>It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
>alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
>disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email, web)?
>
>What's everybody else using - and why?

Agent for news and email. Free Agent will give you a taste for it, but
I think it only does news. Or only does mail. One of the them anyway.

I've used Netscape and Mozilla. I wouldn't recommend them.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Lennier

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15:18 +1300, Scott wrote:

> Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows
> XP.

Do you *need* to use Micro$oft Windows XP?

Have you considered trying out a new version of Linux?

RedHat 9 and Mandrake 9.1 are good operating systems, and there are many
good pieces of enterprise class software written for Linux, such as
Evolution 1.4.5, and Open Office 1.1 .

Both are easily usable by people who are familiar with Micro$oft Office
and Micro$oft Outlook.

Lennier

Eagle Eye

"Scott" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0thb.81$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows

XP.
> So at the moment I'm in the middle of downloading all the programs/updates
> I'm gonna need.
> I've been using Outlook express for my mail and newsgroup client (shock
> horror!). I'd like a good (preferably free - but I'm happy to pay for
> something as long as it's good and has a trial period so I can see if it's
> good for me) alternative. Rather than try out the squillions that are
> available I'd like some recommendations from people that are using them. I
> don't generally follow too many news groups - normally only about 3 or 4,
> but depending on what I'm doing can range up to 10 or maybe a bit more.

Not
> much more though. Also thinking of changing browser too - just to try

what's
> available (currently using IE)
>
> It seems to me that the obvious choice is Mozilla, being an all-in-one
> alternative to what I'm currently using. Are there any advantages or
> disadvantages with using separate applications for each (news, email,

web)?

> What's everybody else using - and why?
>
> Would love to hear your comments.
> Thanks
> Scott

For a browser you'll probably want to use IE at least some of the time, but
I like Mozilla as well. You don't need to install the mail/news part, you
select which option you want when installing. The "Browser only" is all I
need - it also has 'Composer' as part of the browser install - that's a
"wysiwyg" HTML editor.

For email and newsgroups, I currently use Outlook Express. I have tried
others but have become so used to OE that I keep coming back to it. It is
more secure than it used to be, and I prefer to read all mail in plain text.
I have tried Pocomail, they offer you your money back if you don't like it.
Pretty good, seeing as they have a trial version anyway.

If you need word processor, spreadsheet, etc and need something, then you
should get OpenOffice. Latest version is 1.1.0 which I downloaded the other
day - it is huge, you may want to wait until it comes up on a magazine CD.
It seems slow to load on my system, but then again I need more RAM! I mainly
use Microsoft Works 7.0 which does all I need, but sometimes use OpenOffice
when I need to do something that Works lacks. And there is no way I will pay
for Microsoft Office - who the hell can afford that if you're only a home
user? Fine if you need it for your work, etc though.

Antivirus -incase you haven't thought of that yet...I use "eTrust EZ
Antivirus". I have also used NOD32 from Eset. Both these products seem to do
quite well. AVG Antivirus from Grisoft has a new version 7.0 but it's not
free. They still have the free version 6.0, but how long can they continue
with that?

Hope this has helped

Eagle Eye

Lennier

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:09:50 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> I've used Netscape and Mozilla. I wouldn't recommend them.

Why?

I have found Mozilla is very good indeed as a Browser.

I think it's email division is adequate.

I think it's newsgroup division is appalling!

Lennier

Ray Greene

Pegasus or Courier (formerly Calypso) for email, Agent for news, Opera for
web browsing.
www.pmail.com
www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier
www.forteinc.com
www.opera.com

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:11:55 +1300, Lennier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:15:18 +1300, Scott wrote:
>
>> Reformatting my system soon (tonight or tomorrow) and installing windows
>> XP.

>Do you *need* to use Micro$oft Windows XP?
>
>Have you considered trying out a new version of Linux?
>
>RedHat 9 and Mandrake 9.1 are good operating systems, and there are many
>good pieces of enterprise class software written for Linux, such as
>Evolution 1.4.5, and Open Office 1.1 .
>
>Both are easily usable by people who are familiar with Micro$oft Office
>and Micro$oft Outlook.
>
>Lennier

Only used by nutters and Idiots..

Lunix that is..

Dave

For a newsgroup client, I would try out Pan, check out pan.rebelbase.com
you will need to download GTK for windows as well
http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/re....14.2/WINDOWS/

I personally haven't used it under windows, but like it better
than anything I used before under any OS.

Depending on the feature you want from a browser, I would try out Mozilla
Firebird, very nice small and fast, I recently installed it on a friends
windows system, and he doesn't know how he ever put up with IE, he really
liked it when I showed him tabbed browsing, and of course the pop up
window stopping.

I've got no recommendation for email client, but you could try out Mozilla
Thunderbird.

BGP alternatives? SP Cisco 3 09-08-2009 02:32 AM
LEAP & ACS Alternatives N. Hall Cisco 2 05-28-2005 08:31 AM
MS Press 2003 books and alternatives Bill Bixby MCSE 7 04-29-2004 05:52 PM
alternatives to accessing PIX via Telnet Anne Robynn Cisco 3 01-03-2004 08:48 AM

Advertisments