Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > help running windows services at a particular time.

help running windows services at a particular time.

T.N.O.

Anyone got any ideas on how to run a service(any service) at a particular
time? and then stop at a later time...

I dont have a great need for this, but I want to know how to do it.

I also want it to do it whether someone is logged in or not, I assume I can
do some sort of schedule tasks type thing, only not associated with a login?

Biggles

Closest thing I have used, which may be worth looking into, is a program
called xyntservice
It DOESN'T support scheduling, but you could write an app to do that.
xyntservice will allow you to run a standard exe or com as a service.
You can list what programs you need run, what order to start them (and
delays in between).
You can also set how often to check its running (down to every minute) - if
you have set an order to run programs and the 2nd out of 3 has crashed, it
will close the 3rd, then open the 2nd, then wait the delay set for between
the 2nd and third and then open the third.

I use it to run my own database engine and an internet ap that accesses the
database - in my case, the database HAS to be running for about 4 seconds
before the internet ap is started. xyntservice takes care of this.......

AND its free!

- John
f i l e - i t ( a t ) i h u g . c o . n z

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm2ek2$h2e4u$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Anyone got any ideas on how to run a service(any service) at a particular
> time? and then stop at a later time...
>
> I dont have a great need for this, but I want to know how to do it.
>
> I also want it to do it whether someone is logged in or not, I assume I

can
> do some sort of schedule tasks type thing, only not associated with a

login?

Jay

T.N.O. wrote:

> Anyone got any ideas on how to run a service(any service) at a particular
> time? and then stop at a later time...
>
> I dont have a great need for this, but I want to know how to do it.
>
> I also want it to do it whether someone is logged in or not, I assume I
> can do some sort of schedule tasks type thing, only not associated with a
> login?

"crontab" or "at"

Rob

In news:bm2ftt$hm4nl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
Jay roused me from near catatonia by blurting:
> T.N.O. wrote:
>
>> Anyone got any ideas on how to run a service(any service) at a
>> particular time? and then stop at a later time...
>>
>> I dont have a great need for this, but I want to know how to do it.
>>
>> I also want it to do it whether someone is logged in or not, I
>> assume I can do some sort of schedule tasks type thing, only not
>> associated with a login?

> "crontab" or "at"

The subject mentioned windows, which tends to have trouble running *nix
commands.

I'll write that again. The subject mentioned windows, which tends to have
trouble running

T.N.O.

"Biggles" wrote
> Closest thing I have used, which may be worth looking into, is a program
> called xyntservice
> It DOESN'T support scheduling, but you could write an app to do that.
> xyntservice will allow you to run a standard exe or com as a service.
> You can list what programs you need run, what order to start them (and
> delays in between).

Handy... I guess I could run them with a 12 hr delay between them

> I use it to run my own database engine and an internet ap that accesses

the
> database - in my case, the database HAS to be running for about 4 seconds
> before the internet ap is started. xyntservice takes care of this.......
>
> AND its free!

I'll look into it.

T.N.O.

"Rob" wrote
> The subject mentioned windows, which tends to have trouble running *nix
> commands.
> I'll write that again. The subject mentioned windows, which tends to have
> trouble running

There is always one, always...

XboxLover

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm2ftt$hm4nl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> T.N.O. wrote:
>
> > Anyone got any ideas on how to run a service(any service) at a

particular
> > time? and then stop at a later time...
> >
> > I dont have a great need for this, but I want to know how to do it.
> >
> > I also want it to do it whether someone is logged in or not, I assume I
> > can do some sort of schedule tasks type thing, only not associated with

> > login?

> "crontab" or "at"

Doh! Stupid penguin ****ers.

XboxLover!

T.N.O.

"XboxLover" wrote
> > > Anyone got any ideas on how to run a service(any service) at a

> particular
> > > time? and then stop at a later time...

> > "crontab" or "at"

> Doh! Stupid penguin ****ers.

nasty...

T.N.O.

"T.N.O." wrote
> Anyone got any ideas on how to run a service(any service) at a particular
> time? and then stop at a later time...

If I made a service, that was run using the user "timer" which was
restricted to only logging on during the hours of 5pm till 9am would this
work? as the rest of the time the service wouldn't be able to run due to
logon restrictions.

This is all just theory.

SNOman

T.N.O. wrote:

> Anyone got any ideas on how to run a service(any service) at a particular
> time? and then stop at a later time...
>
> I dont have a great need for this, but I want to know how to do it.
>
> I also want it to do it whether someone is logged in or not, I assume I can
> do some sort of schedule tasks type thing, only not associated with a login?

Why not just use a net start and net stop in a batch file which is then
scheduled using task scheduler?