Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Reputable supplier for rack mounted server?

Reputable supplier for rack mounted server?

Ben

Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u rack
mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications? Preferable in
the Auckland region.

Thanks,
Ben

SNOman

Ben wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u rack
> mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications? Preferable in
> the Auckland region.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Do you mean a clone or someone like HP, IBM, Dell. Lots of reputable
suppliers can order and ship the proprietary servers.

AD.

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:00:16 +1300, SNOman wrote:

> Ben wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u
>> rack mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications?
>> Preferable in the Auckland region.

> Do you mean a clone or someone like HP, IBM, Dell. Lots of reputable
> suppliers can order and ship the proprietary servers.

And if you still want one built, there should be a bunch of resellers
willing to stick cpus, ram and disks in one of these:

http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/group.asp?cat=6583

(Those price are RRP - what the reseller actually charges you will vary)

We set up a 1.26GHz tualatin dual cpu one of these last year with a
ServerWorks chipset - it's been a great little machine. Not sure how the
current set of motherboards and chipsets compare though. As for the big
brands, I've always been partial to IBMs myself (purely subjective though).

Cheers
Anton

The Other Guy

You shouldn't have much trouble with any of the computer stores around
Auckland (The quality ones), assuming you want a dual Xeon or similar.

Procase sells 1U and 2U rackmount cases. Most stores deal with them.

Supermicro makes boards designed for 1U and 2U systems. Not too hard to
source from my experiences, although some boards might not be available, or
you may have to wait.

Intel Xeon processors are available with 1U coolers (These usually only cost
about $10 than the common variety with larger coolers).

All pretty much standard stuff. Certainly no real reason to buy am expensive
proprietary server at several times the price from one of the larger vendors

The Other Guy

"Ben" <ben@no_spam_benz1.com> wrote in message
news:bm25a3$n2l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u

rack
> mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications? Preferable in
> the Auckland region.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Ben

"SNOman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm2buv$4ph$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ben wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u

rack
> > mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications? Preferable

in
> > the Auckland region.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ben
> >

> Do you mean a clone or someone like HP, IBM, Dell. Lots of reputable
> suppliers can order and ship the proprietary servers.

Either or... would be happy with a clone as long as it's reliable.

Ben

Ben

"AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:00:16 +1300, SNOman wrote:
>
> > Ben wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that could supply a 1u or 2u
> >> rack mounted, high end, server or one built to my specifications?
> >> Preferable in the Auckland region.

> > Do you mean a clone or someone like HP, IBM, Dell. Lots of reputable
> > suppliers can order and ship the proprietary servers.

> And if you still want one built, there should be a bunch of resellers
> willing to stick cpus, ram and disks in one of these:
>
> http://www.bdt.co.nz/computer/group.asp?cat=6583
>
> (Those price are RRP - what the reseller actually charges you will vary)
>
> We set up a 1.26GHz tualatin dual cpu one of these last year with a
> ServerWorks chipset - it's been a great little machine. Not sure how the
> current set of motherboards and chipsets compare though. As for the big
> brands, I've always been partial to IBMs myself (purely subjective

though).

> Cheers
> Anton

Can you recommend any resellers that could kit one of these out for me?

Ben

AD.

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:05:40 +0000, Ben wrote:

> Can you recommend any resellers that could kit one of these out for me?

Dunno many Auckland resellers. Maybe LCS? Lingo Computer Systems -
http://www.lingo.co.nz

Cheers
Anton