Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > display palette too small?

display palette too small?

Michael Smith

I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
a 256 colour display, however when I try to run it it tells me my
current display driver palette is too small

Video card is S3 trio 64 running 800* 600 16 bit display

Any ideas?,

With thanks

Mike S

T.N.O.

"Michael Smith" wrote
> I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
> a 256 colour display
> Any ideas?

I have seen and fixed this before... but can't remember how, I think it was
something like setting the colour depth to 256 colour when I wanted to use
that game...

Which OS?

lost

Michael Smith wrote:

> I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
> a 256 colour display, however when I try to run it it tells me my
> current display driver palette is too small
>
> Video card is S3 trio 64 running 800* 600 16 bit display

Some older Windows programs were made back when everyone either used 16
colours or 256 colours, so it demands the display be set to 256 colours
because they assumed anything else would mean 16 colours or monocrome.

pete

"lost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
> > a 256 colour display, however when I try to run it it tells me my
> > current display driver palette is too small
> >
> > Video card is S3 trio 64 running 800* 600 16 bit display

> Some older Windows programs were made back when everyone either used 16
> colours or 256 colours, so it demands the display be set to 256 colours
> because they assumed anything else would mean 16 colours or monocrome.

16 bit = high colour. I have a number of games that the grandkids use
(Broderbund Living Books) and they have to be 640 x 480, 256 colour. I've
set up the PC so when the log on with their names it comes up in this
resolution (plus a lot of things disabled). If you haven't already got it
so, from control panel /display /settings / advanced, check the box to "show
settings on task bar" makes life easier to change screen res back and forth.

bt

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 08:54:20 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Michael
Smith) wrote:

>I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
>a 256 colour display, however when I try to run it it tells me my
>current display driver palette is too small
>
>Video card is S3 trio 64 running 800* 600 16 bit display

Set it to 256 colours for these programs. Don't be surprised if you
also have to set the resolution to 640x480.

>Any ideas?,

If you are running XP or maybe win 2000, you can set these things on a
shortcut to the program. Simply open the properties of the shortcut
and go to the compatibility tab.

Ideally you'd get new programs...

Brendan (Avatar)

--

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.