Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra email...

Xtra email...

Aaron Lawrence

I see that Xtra think they will have resolved the "intermittent" email
problems by 3PM today.

Does anyone know what that resolution will be? I've asked the helpdesk
but of course received only generic answers.

Do they have multiple servers with failover between them, or are they
just trying to run everything from one server...

Cheers

Aaron

T.N.O.

"Aaron Lawrence" wrote
> Does anyone know what that resolution will be? I've asked the helpdesk
> but of course received only generic answers.

Those generic answers are all the helpdesk will have, they are mushrooms,
fed ****, and kept in the dark, you could try th business helpdesk as they
are not out sourced.

> Do they have multiple servers with failover between them, or are they
> just trying to run everything from one server...

~300000 accounts, I'd imagine it will be a cluster of some sorts, take maybe
an average of half a MB per customer(mailbox size) and it would be ~150GB of
email sitting there... at a guess it would be more than one machine

Lennier

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:11:13 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> ~300000 accounts, I'd imagine it will be a cluster of some sorts, take
> maybe an average of half a MB per customer(mailbox size) and it would be
> ~150GB of email sitting there... at a guess it would be more than one
> machine

They have multiple machienes - as a cursory glance at the headers of your
email will tell you.

That same glance will also tell you that Xtra is presently using at least
one backup device.

Xtra must have had a device failure.

Lennier

T.N.O.

"Lennier" wrote
> That same glance will also tell you that Xtra is presently using at least
> one backup device.

Standard business sense says that they should have atleast one backup device

> Xtra must have had a device failure.

or they flicked something off for an upgrade, not all outages are caused by
failures.

Lennier

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:00:44 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

>> Xtra must have had a device failure.

> or they flicked something off for an upgrade, not all outages are caused
> by failures.

Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
the quality of service!

Lennier

T.N.O.

"Lennier" wrote
> Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
> the quality of service!

In a perfect world that would work out just fine.

You're an argumentative son of a bitch Lennier.

Mainlander

In article <blvs4a$haed9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> "Lennier" wrote
> > Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
> > the quality of service!

> In a perfect world that would work out just fine.
>
> You're an argumentative son of a bitch Lennier.

and you are a stirrer - who will try to find some reason to abuse Xtra at
every opportunity

Bret

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:05:34 +1300, Lennier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:00:44 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
>
>>> Xtra must have had a device failure.

>> or they flicked something off for an upgrade, not all outages are caused
>> by failures.

>Well then they should have planned sufficiently ahead in order to maintain
>the quality of service!

They are maintaining the same quality of service.

T.N.O.

"Mainlander" wrote
> and you are a stirrer - who will try to find some reason to abuse Xtra at
> every opportunity

Yeah, true about the stirrer thing, but I don't abuse them that often, see
this thread for proof.

Whats actually been going on in xtras email campus?

Like the recent delays extended from 3pm to 11pm, but I know for like 2 or
2-1/2 weeks there has been delays / intermittent from like 5pm till 9am in
the morning, other quick 1hour or 2hour here and there etc....

Its been rather fustrating with people wondering why someone hasent got an
email, or its taking like hours to send.

Hope they fix whatever they are doing soon!

Matt

"Aaron Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsLIgb.171203$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I see that Xtra think they will have resolved the "intermittent" email
> problems by 3PM today.
>
> Does anyone know what that resolution will be? I've asked the helpdesk
> but of course received only generic answers.
>
> Do they have multiple servers with failover between them, or are they
> just trying to run everything from one server...
>
> Cheers
>
> Aaron

Smiley Xtra Working?? LadySpudz Firefox 5 05-05-2005 08:03 AM
Why are my Menus needing an Xtra click to keep 'em Active? Anyone ? Fred-C- Computer Support 3 04-19-2005 10:02 PM
Smilie Xtra Extension Jeff Firefox 0 04-11-2005 01:02 AM
pop 3 xtra john.w.wood Computer Support 1 09-13-2004 10:23 AM
Xtra customers - be VERY careful, geopelia Computer Support 7 11-20-2003 03:25 AM

Advertisments