Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Virus and OS popularity.

Virus and OS popularity.

T.N.O.

"We've all heard it many times when a new Microsoft virus comes out. In
fact, I've heard it a couple of times this week already. Someone on a
mailing list or discussion forum complains about the latest in a long line
of Microsoft email viruses or worms and recommends others consider Mac OS X
or Linux as a somewhat safer computing platform. In response, another person
named, oh, let's call him "Bill," says, basically, "How ridiculous! The only
reason Microsoft software is the target of so many viruses is because it is
so widely used! Why, if Linux or Mac OS X was as popular as Windows, there
would be just as many viruses written for those platforms!" "

Howhard

It should be a criminal offence to intentionally quote someone out of
context to misrepresent their views. SCO is the current worst perpetrator
but TNO must be a contender.

The author of the article you linked to is trying to make the opposite point
from that which reading your extract implies - he is trying to explain why
your quoted text is a commonly held, but nevertheless incorrect, view.

The best point the author makes is that Windows has been dumbed down to
ensure ease of use, at the expense of security. While Linux is normally
better, Linux can be made as insecure as Windows - the example of Lindows
being given in the article.

The article has been given good attention at /. here:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...id=190&tid=201

T.N.O.

"Howhard" wrote
> but TNO must be a contender.

Actually, that was as far as I had read at the time, I was just going to
correct my quote... never mind.

> The best point the author makes is that Windows has been dumbed down to
> ensure ease of use, at the expense of security. While Linux is normally
> better, Linux can be made as insecure as Windows - the example of Lindows
> being given in the article.

yeah... thats what I was going to say.
Windows can be made secure, Linux can be made insecure... it's just a
mattrer of how they are setup.

Mainlander

In article <eSogb.170229$(E-Mail Removed)>, howhard1309
@hotmail.com says...

> The best point the author makes is that Windows has been dumbed down to
> ensure ease of use, at the expense of security. While Linux is normally
> better, Linux can be made as insecure as Windows - the example of Lindows
> being given in the article.
>
> The article has been given good attention at /. here:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...id=190&tid=201

The first contradicts the second - you say Windows is as insecure as
Linux (potentially) yet the second idea defends the notion that Linux is
superior.

A lot of the Register article is anti-MS FUD.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <blt8il$fua9i$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Howhard" wrote
>> but TNO must be a contender.

>Actually, that was as far as I had read at the time, I was just going to
>correct my quote... never mind.
>
>> The best point the author makes is that Windows has been dumbed down to
>> ensure ease of use, at the expense of security. While Linux is normally
>> better, Linux can be made as insecure as Windows - the example of Lindows
>> being given in the article.

>yeah... thats what I was going to say.
>Windows can be made secure, Linux can be made insecure... it's just a
>mattrer of how they are setup.

.. but surely one of those defaults is clever and the other ... not ?
Why make something available then insist that joe user know enough to turn on
something that, in my opinion, should be on unless you turn it off ?
Clear enuff ?

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

T.N.O.

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
> . but surely one of those defaults is clever and the other ... not ?
> Why make something available then insist that joe user know enough to turn

on
> something that, in my opinion, should be on unless you turn it off ?
> Clear enuff ?

actually no, you lost me, but I know what you meant(it may well be correct,
but lack of water is stopping my brain from functioning at the moment)

Rider

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blta2a$g8ao7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Bruce Sinclair" wrote
> > . but surely one of those defaults is clever and the other ... not ?
> > Why make something available then insist that joe user know enough to

turn
> on
> > something that, in my opinion, should be on unless you turn it off ?
> > Clear enuff ?

> actually no, you lost me, but I know what you meant(it may well be

correct,
> but lack of water is stopping my brain from functioning at the moment)

Do you keep your brain in a jug of water like old people do with their
dentures next to their bed at night??

Rider

T.N.O.

"Rider" wrote
> > actually no, you lost me, but I know what you meant(it may well be

> correct,
> > but lack of water is stopping my brain from functioning at the moment)
> >

> Do you keep your brain in a jug of water like old people do with their
> dentures next to their bed at night??

nah... broken AC in the office, and no cold water close by to drink.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <blta2a$g8ao7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
>> . but surely one of those defaults is clever and the other ... not ?
>> Why make something available then insist that joe user know enough to turn

>on
>> something that, in my opinion, should be on unless you turn it off ?
>> Clear enuff ?

>actually no, you lost me, but I know what you meant(it may well be correct,
>but lack of water is stopping my brain from functioning at the moment)

LOL

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

Peter

this quote is from T.N.O. of Tue, 07 Oct 2003 13:54 :

and this one ...
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/188
"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."

Peter