Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Any issues installing NT on current hardware?

Reply
Thread Tools

Any issues installing NT on current hardware?

 
 
Kev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
Just wondering if NT4 WS will install (and run!) smoothly(-ish) on say an Athlon
2000+ or better? I know there's some problems with Win95, but would like to know
before this place upgrades several workstations (and no, an upgrade to XP pro
isn't po$$ible).

TIA


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
T.N.O.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
"Kev" wrote
> Just wondering if NT4 WS will install (and run!) smoothly(-ish) on say an

Athlon
> 2000+ or better? I know there's some problems with Win95, but would like

to know
> before this place upgrades several workstations (and no, an upgrade to XP

pro
> isn't po$$ible).


It seems to run ok on my machine... Dual booting NT and 2k.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
R-Slicks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 13:01:20 +1300, Kev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just wondering if NT4 WS will install (and run!) smoothly(-ish) on say an Athlon
>2000+ or better? I know there's some problems with Win95, but would like to know
>before this place upgrades several workstations (and no, an upgrade to XP pro
>isn't po$$ible).
>
>TIA
>


No clear answer to this. We have seen some install ok on new boxes and
others give all kinds of hassles. Pretty much a try and see kind of
thing. At work we don't recommend it though, unless there's a very
good reason (and there often is, believe it or not !)


--
DO NOT reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - it is simply a spam catch.
You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
NT4 does have issues with some new hardware. I would recommend running
Windows XP and then run your NT4 OS inside a Virtual Machine using Microsoft
Virtual PC 2004
www.microsoft.com/virtualpc


 
Reply With Quote
 
EAgle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003

"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
news:ebtgb.170458$(E-Mail Removed)...
> NT4 does have issues with some new hardware. I would recommend running
> Windows XP and then run your NT4 OS inside a Virtual Machine using

Microsoft
> Virtual PC 2004
> www.microsoft.com/virtualpc
>
>

He implied the problem with getting XP was money $$$$ so this is not a
solution now is it ?
anyway if he had XP there would be no need for NT?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
"EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bltqa2$3hp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > NT4 does have issues with some new hardware. I would recommend running
> > Windows XP and then run your NT4 OS inside a Virtual Machine using

> Microsoft
> > Virtual PC 2004
> > www.microsoft.com/virtualpc
> >
> >

> He implied the problem with getting XP was money $$$$ so this is not a
> solution now is it ?


Neither is a solution that doesn't work. NT4 might not work on the old
hardware.

> anyway if he had XP there would be no need for NT?


Thats a conclusion that I don't jump to. They might be many reasons why
someone would want to run NT4, maybe he has an important application that
only runs on NT4.
My suggestion will work fine thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
Nathan Mercer wrote:

> Neither is a solution that doesn't work.


Obviously Nathan didn't pass high school English.

Chris.
 
Reply With Quote
 
The Flash
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
By using the Application Compatibility Toolkit you have more chance of
running applications ontop of XP than on either 2000 or NT4.

I am repeatedly surprised how well really old apps run on xp, any issues
seem to be processor speed related and not OS related once you select the
right shims between application and OS.

Running NT4 is a bad option now days, no support from MS and its very dated,
If budget is tight get a copy of XP Home it will do almost anything you need
and it is a currant os so drivers / pnp work correctly.


"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Y7ugb.170503$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bltqa2$3hp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > NT4 does have issues with some new hardware. I would recommend

running
> > > Windows XP and then run your NT4 OS inside a Virtual Machine using

> > Microsoft
> > > Virtual PC 2004
> > > www.microsoft.com/virtualpc
> > >
> > >

> > He implied the problem with getting XP was money $$$$ so this is not a
> > solution now is it ?

>
> Neither is a solution that doesn't work. NT4 might not work on the old
> hardware.
>
> > anyway if he had XP there would be no need for NT?

>
> Thats a conclusion that I don't jump to. They might be many reasons why
> someone would want to run NT4, maybe he has an important application that
> only runs on NT4.
> My suggestion will work fine thanks.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
"Nathan Mercer" wrote
> NT4 does have issues with some new hardware. I would recommend running
> Windows XP and then run your NT4 OS inside a Virtual Machine using

Microsoft
> Virtual PC 2004
> www.microsoft.com/virtualpc



Or VMware... Nathan, Companies aside, are either MS/Connectix Virtual PC or
VMware better? and why?


 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2003
"EAgle" wrote
> anyway if he had XP there would be no need for NT?


not so, we have software at work that will not run correctly on 2k or XP, so
we still have a couple of NT boxes sitting around, only a couple out of
~1400, so not too bad.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using the current method name within current method Matthew Heidemann Ruby 14 03-22-2011 03:56 AM
Are there any issues with installing PHP along with ASP.NET? Alan Silver ASP .Net 7 07-18-2007 03:15 PM
Thread.current.parent and Thread.current.ancestors ara.t.howard@noaa.gov Ruby 3 02-16-2007 03:34 PM
501 PIX "deny any any" "allow any any" Any Anybody? Networking Student Cisco 4 11-16-2006 10:40 PM
How to change the current thread current culture at run time. Manu ASP .Net 1 07-20-2003 03:27 PM



Advertisments