Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > spurious 'removable drives' in Win98

spurious 'removable drives' in Win98

Peter Huebner

My Win98 sucked the kumara last week and after some unsuccessful
doctoring around I did a reinstall today. Mostly went fine apart from the
NIC being disabled (?!) but that was easy to fix.

Now, in 'My Computer' I suddenly have a bunch of 'removable drives'
listed that don't exist.
Seems it took over some of the old entries I installed over, munged them
and kept them as drive letters K...S. I don't really need this.

Can anybody tell me how to get rid of these without manually editing the
registry? I'd leave THAT as the last resort.

TIA -Peter

Nicholas Sherlock

Peter Huebner wrote:
> My Win98 sucked the kumara last week and after some unsuccessful
> doctoring around I did a reinstall today. Mostly went fine apart from
> the NIC being disabled (?!) but that was easy to fix.
>
> Now, in 'My Computer' I suddenly have a bunch of 'removable drives'
> listed that don't exist.
> Seems it took over some of the old entries I installed over, munged
> them and kept them as drive letters K...S. I don't really need this.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to get rid of these without manually editing
> the registry? I'd leave THAT as the last resort.

Have you checked device manager to see if they are still installed? If they
are, you can remove them.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Peter Huebner

In article <blscag$2q5$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Peter Huebner wrote:
> > My Win98 sucked the kumara last week and after some unsuccessful
> > doctoring around I did a reinstall today. Mostly went fine apart from
> > the NIC being disabled (?!) but that was easy to fix.
> >
> > Now, in 'My Computer' I suddenly have a bunch of 'removable drives'
> > listed that don't exist.
> > Seems it took over some of the old entries I installed over, munged
> > them and kept them as drive letters K...S. I don't really need this.
> >
> > Can anybody tell me how to get rid of these without manually editing
> > the registry? I'd leave THAT as the last resort.

> Have you checked device manager to see if they are still installed? If they
> are, you can remove them.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

No, they don't show in device manager. They only show in 'My Computer'.

-P.

Dogg

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:52:35 +1300, Peter Huebner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No, they don't show in device manager. They only show in 'My Computer'.

General Win98 gayness. It's always best to format your HD as opposed
to installing over the top of the current install.

Peter Huebner

says...
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:52:35 +1300, Peter Huebner
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >No, they don't show in device manager. They only show in 'My Computer'.
> >

> General Win98 gayness. It's always best to format your HD as opposed
> to installing over the top of the current install.

Except it would be a nightmare trying to track down and reregister all my
Delphi components so I could keep my current source code operational ...
Being the stupid ass I am I didn't hardcopy-log all the components I used
in some of my projects.

I'd rather fix Win98 <sigh>.

-P.

T.N.O.

"Peter Huebner" wrote
> Being the stupid ass I am I didn't hardcopy-log all the components I used
> in some of my projects.

And no backups prior to the problem? doh... you have certainly learned your
lesson.

Win98 vs Win98 SE - Bobb - Computer Information 12 12-14-2006 10:46 PM
Re: Win98 vs Win98 SE - Bobb - Computer Information 2 12-06-2006 06:52 PM
spurious DMZ Barrett Bonden Cisco 1 02-01-2006 05:50 AM
Spurious Access Mark St Laurent Cisco 6 10-01-2004 02:20 AM
win98/xp dual boot- how to remove win98 Roger Marriott NZ Computing 1 11-17-2003 08:53 PM

Advertisments