Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PC To Tv

PC To Tv

SharkFOA

Hi,

Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play DVDs
& other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it and
if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter? Cables? I'm hoping to
get a really good picture.

Cheers,

--
SharkFOA

Nicholas Sherlock

SharkFOA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
> play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone
> else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter?
> Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better quality, so
if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC is
higher resolution, so if your TV can display a NTSC signal, then you should
use that mode on your video card.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:57:17 +1300, "SharkFOA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play DVDs
>& other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it and
>if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter? Cables? I'm hoping to
>get a really good picture.
>
>Cheers,

Some of the Nividia cards work well and you also you do need TVtool.

http://tvtool.info/

Try not to use a Long Svidio cable as it causes video delays..

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:20:34 +1300, "Nicholas Sherlock"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SharkFOA wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
>> play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone
>> else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter?
>> Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

>Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better quality, so
>if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC is
>higher resolution, so if your TV can display a NTSC signal, then you should
>use that mode on your video card.
>
>Cheers,
>Nicholas Sherlock

NTSC = Crap Never The Same Colour Twice..

And has a lower res than PAL..

TVtool lets you use higher res modes with Nvidia 3D cards..

Long S-Video cable can cause video distortions, yes I have fully tested in on
a Philips Matchline TV, caused sharp rings around edges of objects, a Normal
top grade UHF coax cable did not..

That is with a 8 meter cable..

Olson Johnson

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blr8jf$911$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SharkFOA wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
> > play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone
> > else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter?
> > Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

> Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better quality,

so
> if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC is
> higher resolution,

Bad advice, more study required.

NTSC = 525 lines

PAL = 625 lines

Nicholas Sherlock

Olson Johnson wrote:
> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blr8jf$911$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> SharkFOA wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
>>> play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has
>>> anyone else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan
>>> converter? Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

>> Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better
>> quality, so if your TV and video card support it, you should use
>> that. I think NTSC is higher resolution,

> Bad advice, more study required.
>
> NTSC = 525 lines
>
> PAL = 625 lines

Ah, okay.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

E. Scrooge

"SharkFOA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play

DVDs
> & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it

and
> if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter? Cables? I'm hoping to
> get a really good picture.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> SharkFOA

A really good picture you will not get, not without a HDTV at least. While
text etc isn't that great, videos etc can be slightly better due to the
lower resolution of TV which give an anti aliasing affect softening the
pixels.
Go for a data projector for the really big screen.
New video card is your best bet. Not very dear, plus it will most likely be
better than what you've got now.

E. Scrooge

GraB

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:57:17 +1300, "SharkFOA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can play DVDs
>& other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone else done it and
>if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter? Cables? I'm hoping to
>get a really good picture.
>
>Cheers,

I am using a ATI Radeon 7500 with TV Out, running a S-Video cable to
the TV for the video and a cable from the soundcard Line Out to the
audio input on the TV. I used a mini-stereo to 2x RCA converter and
then just a twin RCA to RCA cable.

It worked fine straight off with full screen picture as good as a TV
picture can be. The only thing was that the picture on the monitor is
slightly off to one side but that is easily adjustable under the
display settings which can be saved as a scheme.

On my TV the S-Video input becomes AV1 and video from a VCR on AVI
will not show untill the S-Video cable is pulled out.

max

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:08:23 +1300, "Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:blr8jf$911$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> SharkFOA wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Looking for input here. I'm planning on setting up my TV so I can
>> > play DVDs & other files off my computer on the big screen. Has anyone
>> > else done it and if so, how? Any advice appreciated. Scan converter?
>> > Cables? I'm hoping to get a really good picture.

>> Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better quality,

>so
>> if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC is
>> higher resolution,

>Bad advice, more study required.
>
>NTSC = 525 lines
>
>PAL = 625 lines

I think NTSC does have a slightly higher refresh rate than PAL.

Olson Johnson

"max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:08:23 +1300, "Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:blr8jf$911$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Get a graphics card that has TV-Out. S-Video cables offer better

quality,
> >so
> >> if your TV and video card support it, you should use that. I think NTSC

is
> >> higher resolution,

> >Bad advice, more study required.
> >
> >NTSC = 525 lines
> >
> >PAL = 625 lines
> >

> I think NTSC does have a slightly higher refresh rate than PAL.

NTSC is 60Hz interlaced ie 30fps
PAL is 50Hz interlaced ie 25fps