Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD in Computer

DVD in Computer

pinkbikini@myhome.net

Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?

Thanks,
Cath [Texas]

BTMO

<> wrote in

> Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
> region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?

Yes, and yes (probably)

Your DVD can be switched between zones, but only a specific number of times.
You may need to check with a local expert.

Cheers,

Brenton

steve

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) allegedly said:

> Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
> region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?
>
> Thanks,
> Cath [Texas]

How old is it?

My DVD drives know nothing of regions. The software takes care of that.

If you can get a PC DVD drive a couple of years old, they work great....and
the drives themselves know nothing about regions.

On Linux, 'Xine' ignores regions.

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:34:30 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) allegedly said:
>
>> Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
>> region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cath [Texas]

>How old is it?
>
>My DVD drives know nothing of regions. The software takes care of that.
>
>If you can get a PC DVD drive a couple of years old, they work great....and
>the drives themselves know nothing about regions.
>
>On Linux, 'Xine' ignores regions.

Most DVD drives have region locks, but a lot can have the firmware fixed by
flashing it with new firmware..

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

steve

Big (E-Mail Removed) allegedly said:

> Most DVD drives have region locks, but a lot can have the firmware fixed
> by flashing it with new firmware..
>
> http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

I can play anything on my DVD drives (I have 3).....but then I only play the
DVDs on Linux......

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:13:51 +1200, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Big (E-Mail Removed) allegedly said:
>
>> Most DVD drives have region locks, but a lot can have the firmware fixed
>> by flashing it with new firmware..
>>
>> http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

>I can play anything on my DVD drives (I have 3).....but then I only play the
>DVDs on Linux......

Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not use
Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

Lunix in itself does not support DVD's..

Peter

this quote is from Big (E-Mail Removed) of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
> Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not
> use Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

How do you know?
I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just GPL
and the like).

Peter

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:04:44 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>this quote is from Big (E-Mail Removed) of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
>> Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not
>> use Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

>How do you know?
>I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just GPL
>and the like).
>

>Peter

The Software for Playing DVD's with Lunix is illegal, I thought that every one
new that, DVD's do not have any Legal Lunix support at all..

Peter Huebner

In article <GT7fb.5924$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> (E-Mail Removed) allegedly said:
>
> > Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
> > region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Cath [Texas]

> How old is it?
>
> My DVD drives know nothing of regions. The software takes care of that.
>
> If you can get a PC DVD drive a couple of years old, they work great....and
> the drives themselves know nothing about regions.

Sadly, this is not always true. My Pioneer DVD drive is more than 2
years old and it sure does know about regions <sigh>.

I understand there is now an Asus drive that can be reset from the front
panel without any limits and problems - there was a post to that end on
this very forum a little while ago.

You can flash the drive's built-in software to make it region free
but this is a slightly risky business. If it fails, you can chuck the
drive in many cases. I won't do it unless really necessary.

-Peter

mattlock

Big wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:04:44 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>this quote is from Big (E-Mail Removed) of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
>>
>>>Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not
>>>use Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

>>How do you know?
>>I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just GPL
>>and the like).
>>

>>Peter

> The Software for Playing DVD's with Lunix is illegal, I thought that every one
> new that, DVD's do not have any Legal Lunix support at all..

Wrong, it's not free....but itís legal
http://www.lindows.com/lindows_produ...s.php?id=11804