Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Verizon Broadband won't stop dialing

Verizon Broadband won't stop dialing

Richard Lewis Haggard

I have a Windows XP Pro laptop with Verizon Wireless broadband which has
been working well for a while. The modem broke and while replacing it,
something changed in the settings and now I can't figure out how to tell the
system to not try to use the card when it isn't plugged in. If that card is
not inserted, every few minutes a message box pops up, saying "Error
Connecting to NationalAccess - BroadbandAccess" "Opening port... Error 680:
There was no dial tone." It didn't use to do this. Any suggestions?
--
Richard Lewis Haggard
www.Haggard-And-Associates.com

FedUp

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:23:13 -0500, Richard Lewis Haggard wrote:

> I have a Windows XP Pro laptop with Verizon Wireless broadband which has
> been working well for a while. The modem broke and while replacing it,
> something changed in the settings and now I can't figure out how to tell the
> system to not try to use the card when it isn't plugged in. If that card is
> not inserted, every few minutes a message box pops up, saying "Error
> Connecting to NationalAccess - BroadbandAccess" "Opening port... Error 680:
> There was no dial tone." It didn't use to do this. Any suggestions?

Check your system for programs trying to do automatic updates. Also check
for malware trying to "call home". Check your settings in IE and try
checking the "never dial..." checkbox.

James Gockel

This sounds like spyware or malware.. or whatever you want to call it.
As with fedup's responce You should check for spyware or spybots...
start with lavasoft's adaware www.lavasoftusa.com
and then (if i had their website, i'd just tell you it) but google around
for spybot search and destroy... look for safernetworking in the website
address.... if you have to pay for it, dont use it!!!!
Then do a virus scan.

-James G.

"Richard Lewis Haggard" <HaggardAtWorldDotStdDotCom> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Windows XP Pro laptop with Verizon Wireless broadband which has
>been working well for a while. The modem broke and while replacing it,
>something changed in the settings and now I can't figure out how to tell
>the system to not try to use the card when it isn't plugged in. If that
>card is not inserted, every few minutes a message box pops up, saying
>"Error Connecting to NationalAccess - BroadbandAccess" "Opening port...
>Error 680: There was no dial tone." It didn't use to do this. Any
>suggestions?
> --
> Richard Lewis Haggard
> www.Haggard-And-Associates.com

Richard Lewis Haggard

Thanks for the tips. I already have 'do not ever dial' set. I use
Microsoft's anti spyware and it seems relatively happy.

I don't really suspect malware. I suspect that there is some nasty
interaction with VerizonWireless's VZAccess Manager or some other piece of
related software. The problem started after I replaced the Kyocera 650 with
another. When I first replaced the modem, I couldn't get it to connect. The
person I called at VerizonWireless had me do a number of things, including
uninstalling the software, deleting the network, recreating the network,
standing on my head, draping chicken entrails across the keyboard and so on.
The actual problem was that VerizonWireless customer data base needs to have
the modem's serial number in order to authenticate access, but I didn't
figure that out until another 3 CSR's later. Anyway, that's when I started
having this trouble. I've tried calling for help but did not run across a
CSR that had anything useful to contribute to the issue.

More information, at the time that the VerizonWireless broadband cell phone
modem software foolishly attempts to dial out on a modem that is not
present, the WiFi connection dies. It is not clear which is the cause and
which is the effect. It could be that the dialing happens because the WiFi
connection had a senior moment or it could be that the WiFi connection is
losing it because of interference from the Verizon software. Any ideas on
how to determine the cause?

--
"I haven't talked to my wife in weeks. I don't like to interrupt."
Richard Lewis Haggard
www.Haggard-And-Associates.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...