Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Damn Dialup When Win98 Boots

Damn Dialup When Win98 Boots

GraB

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:44:23 +1200, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
>
>I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.
>
>I've cleared the registry of any programs in the usual places etc etc. I've
>run Adaware6 and cleaned out the machine ( 585 items) I've checked the
>system.ini, win.ini and can't find anything in there. So now I'm a bit
>stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
>before I jump up and down on this machine
>
>Rider

Any prog set to automatically check for updates?

Phillip Weston

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:44:23 +1200, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
>
>I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.
>
>I've cleared the registry of any programs in the usual places etc etc. I've
>run Adaware6 and cleaned out the machine ( 585 items) I've checked the
>system.ini, win.ini and can't find anything in there. So now I'm a bit
>stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
>before I jump up and down on this machine

Is MSN Messenger installed? MSN kept wanting me to dialup on startup
when I booted into Win98SE.

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

L.Ranger

Rider wrote:

> AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
>
> I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175312

Kristofer Clayton

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:00:51 +1200, bt <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snip>

>I'd just like to add that this is part of the Industry Standards that
>Gavin Tunney has finally supplied me with. It is a fully vetted and
>standard proceedure that all Trained Professionals and Qualified
>Mainframe Engineers know.

Qualified Mainframe Engineers?

Don't we have one of those in our newsgroup?
Mr Sheppard ??

The procedures you mention may explain some things then...

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Evil Bastard

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:44:23 +1200, Rider wrote:

> AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
>
> I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.
>
> I've cleared the registry of any programs in the usual places etc etc. I've
> run Adaware6 and cleaned out the machine ( 585 items) I've checked the
> system.ini, win.ini and can't find anything in there. So now I'm a bit
> stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
> before I jump up and down on this machine
>
> Rider

Feels to me like it's a piece of scumware (the kind that gets installed
with dodgy apps like Gator, xupiter, Kazaa (not KaZaa Lite) etc.

Also, such scumware is often borne in websites. The site says "install
this software". IE obeys, and amongst a possible flurry of popups, is a
dialog saying "do you want to install/run prog xxx", where 'xxx' is some
name that suggests a useful, respectable and legitimate windows extension.

AdAware doen't get all the scumware. If you do have a scumware infection,
it looks like the scumware fires up and tries to phone home immediately on
startup.

Your available remedies:
1) temporary - backup your data, reformat your disks, reinstall windows,
(carefully) reinstall your apps

2) permanent - backup your data, reformat your disks, install Linux,
convert your data

Richard Malcolm-Smith

> Also, such scumware is often borne in websites. The site says "install
> this software". IE obeys, and amongst a possible flurry of popups, is a
> dialog saying "do you want to install/run prog xxx", where 'xxx' is some
> name that suggests a useful, respectable and legitimate windows extension.

Often the installation of one package will change it to accept any activex
signer without prompting. There is also the always trust contect from these guys
list, which will allow unprompted installaton. Active-x should be disabled if
you instist on using IE, its the workaround to most of the holes that MS end up
with in IE so you can think of it as a precautionary measure too.

Mainlander

In article <bldc46$lta$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> "Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0oqeb.5342$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bldbk8$lhc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:Neqeb.5340$(E-Mail Removed)...

> those.
> > It

> except
> > > for

> > > I would expect that antivirus scan and/or adaware would have picked one

> of
> > > those up, surely.
> > >

> > Maybe
> > But you are asking for suggestions here.
> > It might be worth looking in the registry
> >

> searched the registry for RNAPP , nothing

Its correct name is RNAAPP

Ben Dover

Had this problem awhile ago, have you let it dial
and see where it takes you??
My problem turned out to be a MS root certificate up date thing
I let it do its thing and it stopped. I have also had e-mails in the inbox
do this,
deleted some mail with some hotmail links at the bottom of the mail and the
problem stopped (different machine than the one above)

Cheers
"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bld4gu$g78$(E-Mail Removed)...
> AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
>
> I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.
>
> I've cleared the registry of any programs in the usual places etc etc.

I've
> run Adaware6 and cleaned out the machine ( 585 items) I've checked the
> system.ini, win.ini and can't find anything in there. So now I'm a bit
> stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
> before I jump up and down on this machine
>
> Rider

Invisible

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:58:32 +1200, Big (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

<nothing>

Well **** off then.

rob

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bld4gu$g78$(E-Mail Removed)...
> AARRRGGGHHHHHHH
>
> I have a pc which has a dialup that pops up when it boots into win98.
>
> I've cleared the registry of any programs in the usual places etc etc.

I've
> run Adaware6 and cleaned out the machine ( 585 items) I've checked the
> system.ini, win.ini and can't find anything in there. So now I'm a bit
> stumped. Where else can things get loaded from? Any help is appreciated
> before I jump up and down on this machine
>
> Rider

I've seen Norton AV cause this before, there's an article about it in the
Symantec KB I think, can't remember why it was doing it though.
rgds
Rob