Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Damn Dialup When Win98 Boots

Damn Dialup When Win98 Boots

Olson Johnson

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bldaac$kmp$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bld8cr$avk4f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > "Rider" wrote
> > > Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It

has
> > > been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for

> this
> > > dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.

> > If you have Zonealarm, it can bring up a dial up connection before

> logon...
> >

> Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine

There are trojans that do this, one called zorro IIRC
Backup your registry then search and delete RNAPP entries in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Rider

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bldavr$avb9p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Rider" wrote
> > Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine

> Anything important on it?
> Format, re-install... start fresh, and make note of what is installed, the
> dates etc.

I've just made a backup of their hdd. I'm gonna uninstall one program at a
time until I know which one is fukking with me LOL

Rider

"Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Neqeb.5340$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bldaac$kmp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bld8cr$avk4f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > "Rider" wrote

> has

for
> > this
> > >
> > > If you have Zonealarm, it can bring up a dial up connection before

> > logon...
> > >

> > Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine
> >

> There are trojans that do this, one called zorro IIRC
> Backup your registry then search and delete RNAPP entries in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

I would expect that antivirus scan and/or adaware would have picked one of
those up, surely.

Olson Johnson

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bldbk8$lhc$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Neqeb.5340$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bldaac$kmp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bld8cr$avk4f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

It
> > has

> for
> > > this

> > > logon...
> > > >

> > > Nope, nothing like that installed. Nasty nasty machine
> > >

> > There are trojans that do this, one called zorro IIRC
> > Backup your registry then search and delete RNAPP entries in
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> >

> I would expect that antivirus scan and/or adaware would have picked one of
> those up, surely.

Maybe
But you are asking for suggestions here.
It might be worth looking in the registry

Rider

"Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0oqeb.5342$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bldbk8$lhc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Neqeb.5340$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bldaac$kmp$(E-Mail Removed)...

those.
> It
> > > has

except
> > for

> > > There are trojans that do this, one called zorro IIRC
> > > Backup your registry then search and delete RNAPP entries in
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> > >

> > I would expect that antivirus scan and/or adaware would have picked one

of
> > those up, surely.
> >

> Maybe
> But you are asking for suggestions here.
> It might be worth looking in the registry

searched the registry for RNAPP , nothing
Thanks

Rider

> I'll vote for ZA trying to update itself.

It hasn't got ZA installed on the machine, but your vote is noted

Bret

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:54:07 +1200, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:0oqeb.5342$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bldbk8$lhc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:Neqeb.5340$(E-Mail Removed)...

>those.
>> It

>except
>> > for

>> > I would expect that antivirus scan and/or adaware would have picked one

>of
>> > those up, surely.
>> >

>> Maybe
>> But you are asking for suggestions here.
>> It might be worth looking in the registry
>>

>searched the registry for RNAPP , nothing
>Thanks

I'll vote for ZA trying to update itself.

bt

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:39:08 +1200, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It has
>been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for this
>dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.
>
>Quite odd.

Not something as stupid as a shortcut in the startup folder or
something is it ?

Given the preposterous proportions of your previous spyware
infestation (585 items), it's likly one of them is not as uninstalled
as ad aware thinks. Try spybot search and destroy too. Between the
both of them you might get all these f'ing things...

Also, try 'BHO Helper' IIRC - browser helper objects. Browser add ons.
You might have a new one that adaware/spybot doesn't know about. BHO
should let you delete these f'ing things too.

Also there is Process Explorer. This handy utility allows you to see
what files your processes have open. This might give you a clue.

Not some stupid 'product registration' crap from some app is it ?

If all of that is done and the problem still exists, there is only one
Final Solution:

Take one dead chicken. Taking off your clothes, dance anti-clockwise
around problem machine, shaking dead chicken and chanting.

Sprinkle chicken blood over computer, and leave a bottle of rum and a
candle next to the computer for one day.

This should cure the problem. If it does not, do the same thing again
but add a human skull and then format and reinstall windows.

Guaranteed.

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

bt

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:56:24 +1200, bt <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If all of that is done and the problem still exists, there is only one
>Final Solution:
>
>Take one dead chicken. Taking off your clothes, dance anti-clockwise
>around problem machine, shaking dead chicken and chanting.
>
>Sprinkle chicken blood over computer, and leave a bottle of rum and a
>candle next to the computer for one day.
>
>This should cure the problem. If it does not, do the same thing again
>but add a human skull and then format and reinstall windows.
>
>Guaranteed.

I'd just like to add that this is part of the Industry Standards that
Gavin Tunney has finally supplied me with. It is a fully vetted and
standard proceedure that all Trained Professionals and Qualified
Mainframe Engineers know.

I just hope I am not kicked out of the Freemasons for divulging this
to the mensch

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

Rider

"bt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:39:08 +1200, "Rider"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been through all of those. It has
> >been virus scanned. Nothing is loading at startup at all , except for

this
> >dialup LOL which task manager shows as RNAPP.
> >
> >Quite odd.

> Not something as stupid as a shortcut in the startup folder or
> something is it ?

LOL I wish

> Given the preposterous proportions of your previous spyware
> infestation (585 items), it's likly one of them is not as uninstalled
> as ad aware thinks. Try spybot search and destroy too. Between the
> both of them you might get all these f'ing things...
>
> Also, try 'BHO Helper' IIRC - browser helper objects. Browser add ons.
> You might have a new one that adaware/spybot doesn't know about. BHO
> should let you delete these f'ing things too.
>
> Also there is Process Explorer. This handy utility allows you to see
> what files your processes have open. This might give you a clue.
>
> Not some stupid 'product registration' crap from some app is it ?

Would be nice if it was

> If all of that is done and the problem still exists, there is only one
> Final Solution:
>
> Take one dead chicken. Taking off your clothes, dance anti-clockwise
> around problem machine, shaking dead chicken and chanting.
>
> Sprinkle chicken blood over computer, and leave a bottle of rum and a
> candle next to the computer for one day.
>
> This should cure the problem. If it does not, do the same thing again
> but add a human skull and then format and reinstall windows.
>
> Guaranteed.

Damnit, I thought it was supposed to be turkey, not a chicken. Damnit ...
gotta do it all over again. Was I wrong to do it in the main shopfront
window? :$

Thanks for the help, will try those

Rider