Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Deleted Items.dbx and Windows XP.

Deleted Items.dbx and Windows XP.

Don Cressey

I have always told friends that as part of keeping their hard drives
tidy and free of superfluous rubbish that if the use Email a lot then
after a period of time the Deleted Items.dbx can become very large and
take up useful space. Do a search anddelete - OE will create a new and
empty Deleted Items.dbx.
With XP I have never been able to find the Deleted Items.dbx.
I have looked in File types (re hidden files) etc and there does not
appear to be anything there to prevent it being found. Is it something
in Xp or the up dated OE which prevents me finding it. Or is it the
idiot factor? Any comments would be appreciated, Don.

Nicholas Sherlock

Don Cressey wrote:
> I have always told friends that as part of keeping their hard drives
> tidy and free of superfluous rubbish that if the use Email a lot then
> after a period of time the Deleted Items.dbx can become very large and
> take up useful space. Do a search anddelete - OE will create a new and
> empty Deleted Items.dbx.
> With XP I have never been able to find the Deleted Items.dbx.
> I have looked in File types (re hidden files) etc and there does not
> appear to be anything there to prevent it being found. Is it something
> in Xp or the up dated OE which prevents me finding it. Or is it the
> idiot factor? Any comments would be appreciated, Don.

Just right click on the deleted items folder and click "Empty deleted items
folder".

Cheers,
Nicholas SHerlock

T.N.O.

"Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
> Just right click on the deleted items folder and click "Empty deleted

items
> folder".

Although that "empties the deleted items", it only get's rid of the database
reference to the email inside that file(deleted items.dbx).
You can however right click on "local folders" and choose "properties", then
click on the ummm something tab at the top, and compact it from there...

Another option is to click on tools, options, maintainence, "clean up now"

cowboyz

"Don Cressey" <moncress@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have always told friends that as part of keeping their hard drives
> tidy and free of superfluous rubbish that if the use Email a lot then
> after a period of time the Deleted Items.dbx can become very large and
> take up useful space. Do a search anddelete - OE will create a new and
> empty Deleted Items.dbx.
> With XP I have never been able to find the Deleted Items.dbx.
> I have looked in File types (re hidden files) etc and there does not
> appear to be anything there to prevent it being found. Is it something
> in Xp or the up dated OE which prevents me finding it. Or is it the
> idiot factor? Any comments would be appreciated, Don.

it is located in c:\docs and settings\user\local settings\application
data\identies\(long HEX )\microsoft\outlook express.

but as TNO has mentioned. just use the options in OE to clean it up.

-{-astrae-}-

From memory I think if you use the XP find function it doesnt give you any
from the application data folder. I found this when I was trying to find my
OE files.

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blb59r$sna$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Don Cressey" <moncress@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have always told friends that as part of keeping their hard drives
> > tidy and free of superfluous rubbish that if the use Email a lot then
> > after a period of time the Deleted Items.dbx can become very large and
> > take up useful space. Do a search anddelete - OE will create a new and
> > empty Deleted Items.dbx.
> > With XP I have never been able to find the Deleted Items.dbx.
> > I have looked in File types (re hidden files) etc and there does not
> > appear to be anything there to prevent it being found. Is it something
> > in Xp or the up dated OE which prevents me finding it. Or is it the
> > idiot factor? Any comments would be appreciated, Don.

> it is located in c:\docs and settings\user\local settings\application
> data\identies\(long HEX )\microsoft\outlook express.
>

> but as TNO has mentioned. just use the options in OE to clean it up.

cowboyz

"-{-astrae-}-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ceceb.5105$(E-Mail Removed)...
> From memory I think if you use the XP find function it doesnt give you any
> from the application data folder. I found this when I was trying to find

my
> OE files.

dunno. I use windows commander for EVERYTHING. It is surprising how much I
miss it when repairing someone elses computer who doesn't have it.