Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Top 5 CD-R brands???

Top 5 CD-R brands???

Craig Shore

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 08:56:30 +1300, Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 02:12:39 +1200, "Lebowski"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>3- The Sky 100-pack for $49.95 I got from Woolworths. I thought they looked
>>>a bit dodgy, but I used them all without any duds whatsoever. Whether they
>>>last is another issue, it's just a question of "fingers crossed", but a lot
>>>of the stuff I burned are for kinda short-term use anyway that I will have
>>>no need for say in 20 years, when we probably won't even be using cd media
>>>anyway. These discs also burned at 12x max as well, which is kinda slow but
>>>ah well it's more time to go make a cup of coffee isn't it. I don't quibble
>>>with a 49-cent cd, they'll do the job for me.

>>They wrote fine at 32x on my LG writer. What brand of writer are you
>>using?

>They may write fine now but will you be able to read them in say 5
>years??
>
>That's the consideration I make before I buy CDs these days..

I mostly use them as audio cd's for the car. So if they get stolen it
doesn't matter. If they die it doesn't matter.

They live in the car, which is a pretty harsh environment (heat).
I'll let you know in another 4 years if they still work

Lebowski

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 08:56:30 +1300, Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore) wrote:

looked

they

lot

have

media

but

quibble

> >>They wrote fine at 32x on my LG writer. What brand of writer are you
> >>using?

> >They may write fine now but will you be able to read them in say 5
> >years??
> >
> >That's the consideration I make before I buy CDs these days..

> I mostly use them as audio cd's for the car. So if they get stolen it
> doesn't matter. If they die it doesn't matter.
>
> They live in the car, which is a pretty harsh environment (heat).
> I'll let you know in another 4 years if they still work

Same sort of mindset here. I won't be too distraught if in 5 years they pack
up....just for a few audio compilations and data backups of wav files of my
song demos, which I've already mixed down anyway.. I think we all agree
there are degrees of preciousness when it comes to archiving our data....in
such cases a 49c cd can be a reasonable compromise