Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Top 5 CD-R brands???

Top 5 CD-R brands???

BTMO

<Big http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> >For my home based business (short run CD production for muso's and
> >corporates), I use Verbatim exclusively. I experimented with other

brands,
> >and decided to go the max on quality.

> The white Verbatims are made by CMC..

So? They carry the Verbatim brand, and they are guaranteed by Verbatim.
Presumably, they are manufactured to Verbatim's specs. What difference does
it make whose machine they go through?

> Verbatim & Mitshubishi are the same firm..

True. As a visit to www.verbatim.com will confirm.

Cheers,

Brenton

MarkH

Big (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:51:12 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>
>>The manufacturer is:- Ricoh Company Ltd.

> Is that what the ATIP Shows..?

Yes, and as Ricoh is one of the companies that does actually make CDs, I
have no reason to think that it is not true.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Wyn

MarkH wrote:
> "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:blavea$a3qfb$1@ID-
> 183327.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
>> "asdf" wrote
>>> Which ones and WHY?

>> Does this mean that you want us to vote on them or something...
>>
>> Personally I use the Warehouse Transonic ones for normal unimportant
>> use, but I use expensive Medical quality ones(ordered through my
>> work) for important data that I dont want to lose.

> WTF?
>
> Medical quality?
>
> Does that mean safe for inserting in body cavities or something?

Only suitable for musical types who can carry a tune but you must use a
medical grade speculum.

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:22:18 +1200, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><Big (E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> >For my home based business (short run CD production for muso's and
>> >corporates), I use Verbatim exclusively. I experimented with other

>brands,
>> >and decided to go the max on quality.

>> The white Verbatims are made by CMC..

>So? They carry the Verbatim brand, and they are guaranteed by Verbatim.
>Presumably, they are manufactured to Verbatim's specs. What difference does
>it make whose machine they go through?

NO THEYT ARE NOT, CMC IS REFERED TO AS A CRAP BRAND..

Do some reading before you spout of again..

>> Verbatim & Mitshubishi are the same firm..

>True. As a visit to www.verbatim.com will confirm.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Brenton

Phillip Weston

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:24:29 +1200, Big (E-Mail Removed) scribbled:

>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:22:18 +1200, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>><Big (E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>brands,

>>> The white Verbatims are made by CMC..

>>So? They carry the Verbatim brand, and they are guaranteed by Verbatim.
>>Presumably, they are manufactured to Verbatim's specs. What difference does
>>it make whose machine they go through?

>NO THEYT ARE NOT, CMC IS REFERED TO AS A CRAP BRAND..
>
>Do some reading before you spout of again..

I think it's you who's spouting out. If he finds Verbatim CDR's to be
reliable then don't you think first hand experience matters? I have
burned many cds using various brands, even cheap chinese brands, and
they are still working fine 6 months or more later.

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

BTMO

<Big (E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> NO THEYT ARE NOT, CMC IS REFERED TO AS A CRAP BRAND..
>
> Do some reading before you spout of again..

-yawn-

Thanks all the same for the advice, but I really think I will take the
(tested) word of my supplier over yours.

You do understand that manufacturers make products to a specification, don't
you?

Just because a home brand is crap there is no reason to suppose that
something made under licence (and I haven't found any evidence of that yet,
apart from your loud assertions, btw) in the same factory is also crap.

Verbatim offer some pretty amazing quality guarantees. They also honour
them.

You call...

Cheers,

Brenton

BTMO

<Big (E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> NO THEYT ARE NOT, CMC IS REFERED TO AS A CRAP BRAND..
>
> Do some reading before you spout of again..

Just another thought - wherever possible, I use DataLifePlus CDs
exclusively.

I don't care about price (given the cheapies cost about 20c less than the
good ones) - I care about quality.

Cheers,

Brenton

samg

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:blavea$a3qfb$1@ID-
183327.news.uni-berlin.de:

> "asdf" wrote
>> Which ones and WHY?

> Does this mean that you want us to vote on them or something...
>
> Personally I use the Warehouse Transonic ones for normal unimportant use,
> but I use expensive Medical quality ones(ordered through my work) for
> important data that I dont want to lose.

yeah transonics are sweet. Out of the last 50 Ive used only 2 or 3 have
failed to verify.

moe

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:31:37 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Ja7eb.163226$JA5.4024296
>@news.xtra.co.nz:
>
>> ??????
>>
>> Which ones and WHY?

>I use Ricoh, because they are a good quality brand name disk, and I have
>never had one fail.
>
>Also I get them at a good price when buying spindles of 50.
>
>No way would I pay over $1 per disk for any brand when I can get good disks
>for well under that. (About $30 incl for a spindle of 50)

Which shop did you get them from? Are they similar to this
http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100705 ?

Just curious, what brand burner you're using?

tia

moe

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:08:43 +1200, Big (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

<snip>

>>Other than that I go on brand names. Renowned makers of media are Kodak,
>>Verbatim, TDK, Mitsubishi Chemical, Maxell - I simply assume that these
>>companies won't want to be seen to be turning out utter crap.

>Kodak is no more, TDK is a CMC , Maxell also from what I have read..

TDK is CMC if you're referring to those Gold ones found in NZ, those
with white tops are made by Ritek.

You can still get Kodak Ultima 80 from NZ.