Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Top 5 CD-R brands???

Top 5 CD-R brands???

T.N.O.

"MarkH" wrote
> Holy ****, $7.50 each! I'll stick to my Ricoh disks at 60c each. (Or my
> DVD-R disks at $2.80 each)

Yeah well I dont buy many of them, I have 5 or so, and will be getting
another 5 or so soonish.

> BTW
> If the disks don't work in 25 years and you lose the data, what then?

Don't know, I just thought of that when I replied
I'm not bound by the agreement between work and errr, the company, so I
would guess that my CD's arent included in whatever agreement they have...
either way, they are nice CD's

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:26:54 +1200, "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like to know which you think are the best brand, for keeping data
>over a long time, arriving stuff.
>
>Also links to reviews they have stress tested these disks.
>
>Daniel

The Verbatim/Mitsubishi AZO Super AZO ones claimed a 100 year life span..

Or the Gold Mitsumi ones..

No other brands can you trusted as they could be made by any one..

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:31:37 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Ja7eb.163226$JA5.4024296
>@news.xtra.co.nz:
>
>> ??????
>>
>> Which ones and WHY?

>I use Ricoh, because they are a good quality brand name disk, and I have
>never had one fail.

And who makes them, ? and no shops here out of say 20 sell them..

>Also I get them at a good price when buying spindles of 50.
>
>No way would I pay over $1 per disk for any brand when I can get good disks
>for well under that. (About $30 incl for a spindle of 50)

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:34:00 +1200, Kerry Ferrand
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <Ja7eb.163226$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> ??????
>>
>> Which ones and WHY?
>>

>Imation..only ever had a single bad one, probably not the cheapest but
>reliable.

Yes made by CMC utter Crap..

MarkH

Big (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:31:37 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>I use Ricoh, because they are a good quality brand name disk, and I
>>have never had one fail.

> And who makes them, ? and no shops here out of say 20 sell them..

The manufacturer is:- Ricoh Company Ltd.

Why would I care what the shops where you are sell? I donít work for Ricoh
and have no reason to care how many or how few they sell.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Peter Huebner

In article <Ja7eb.163226$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> ??????
>
> Which ones and WHY?

I have not looked into this for some time, so take this info with a grain
of salt.

When I looked at this very question, I gleaned the info that the gold
colored CDs were supposedly the best in terms of durability, and the
green ones the worst.

Since then we had blue ones turn up, green ones with a golden sheen to
them and black ones - and I have no idea how those dyes stand up or
compare, but on the other hand I have not seen anything, anywhere that
said that the gold disks had been overtaken by a new process.

So they are the ones I use when it's important, for instance source code
to some projects, backups of my financial data.

If I copy music on to CDs for the car audio ( I had irreplacable tapes
and CDs burgled from the car and only use copies now) I just take the
cheapest brand that comes to hand. They all seem to work

Other than that I go on brand names. Renowned makers of media are Kodak,
Verbatim, TDK, Mitsubishi Chemical, Maxell - I simply assume that these
companies won't want to be seen to be turning out utter crap.

If you want (in depth) info, I suggest that you look at the web sites of
some of the manufacturers of burners. I believe Plextor have a web site
where they rate various media for instance.

-Peter

BTMO

"asdf" <> wrote

> ??????
>
> Which ones and WHY?

For my home based business (short run CD production for muso's and
corporates), I use Verbatim exclusively. I experimented with other brands,
and decided to go the max on quality.

Why? Customers want a quality product.

The difference between crap and the best is measured in cents rather than
dollars. I can't comment on "medical quality" discs - I've never heard of
them. I do know that the Verbatims are archival quality, and have
accelerated test lifespans of 100 years. (and don't ask me how they
guarantee this! For all I know, they hope we will all be dead by then...)

But, I can guarantee the quality of the product for my customers, and if it
the discs *do* fail, I can get a refund (and an explanation) from the
manufacturer at *very*short notice.

I believe the discs are individually serialised, or at the very least, batch
serialised (brenton checks consecutive discs from the same pack) - nope,
they are individually numbered.

Basically, it comes down to quality for me.

Cheers,

Brenton

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:51:12 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Big (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:31:37 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>>I use Ricoh, because they are a good quality brand name disk, and I
>>>have never had one fail.

>> And who makes them, ? and no shops here out of say 20 sell them..

>The manufacturer is:- Ricoh Company Ltd.

Is that what the ATIP Shows..?

>Why would I care what the shops where you are sell? I donít work for Ricoh
>and have no reason to care how many or how few they sell.

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:02:46 +1200, Peter Huebner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <Ja7eb.163226$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> ??????
>>
>> Which ones and WHY?
>>

>I have not looked into this for some time, so take this info with a grain
>of salt.
>
>When I looked at this very question, I gleaned the info that the gold
>colored CDs were supposedly the best in terms of durability, and the
>green ones the worst.
>
>Since then we had blue ones turn up, green ones with a golden sheen to
>them and black ones - and I have no idea how those dyes stand up or
>compare, but on the other hand I have not seen anything, anywhere that
>said that the gold disks had been overtaken by a new process.
>
>So they are the ones I use when it's important, for instance source code
>to some projects, backups of my financial data.
>
>If I copy music on to CDs for the car audio ( I had irreplacable tapes
>and CDs burgled from the car and only use copies now) I just take the
>cheapest brand that comes to hand. They all seem to work
>
>Other than that I go on brand names. Renowned makers of media are Kodak,
>Verbatim, TDK, Mitsubishi Chemical, Maxell - I simply assume that these
>companies won't want to be seen to be turning out utter crap.

Kodak is no more, TDK is a CMC , Maxell also from what I have read..

>If you want (in depth) info, I suggest that you look at the web sites of
>some of the manufacturers of burners. I believe Plextor have a web site
>where they rate various media for instance.

Does not mean a Thing as I have had Sony CD's made by 4 different firms..

Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:34:53 +1200, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"asdf" <> wrote
>
>> ??????
>>
>> Which ones and WHY?

>For my home based business (short run CD production for muso's and
>corporates), I use Verbatim exclusively. I experimented with other brands,
>and decided to go the max on quality.

The white Verbatims are made by CMC..

Verbatim & Mitshubishi are the same firm..