Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help needed uninstalling Mandrake.

Help needed uninstalling Mandrake.

~misfit~

Hi.

My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed it.
I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.

What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to my
blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my previous
set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.

Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
resides on?

Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need to
get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.

Thanks,
--
~misfit~

---

Peter Huebner

In article <rOUdb.162502$(E-Mail Removed)>,
misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
> Hi.
>
> My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
> space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed it.
> I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
>
> What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to my
> blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
> remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my previous
> set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
>
> Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
> resides on?
>
> Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need to
> get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ~misfit~

I did the very thing, but it's been well over a year (mandrake 6 or 7 at
the time) and I am getting fuzzy on the details. I.i.r.c. I used
Partition Magic to reclaim the space on the harddrive, and XP's boot
manager control applet to replace LILO.

h.t.h. -Peter

Peter

this quote is from ~misfit~ of Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:35 :
> My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
> space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed
> it. I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
>
> What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to
> my blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need
> to remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my
> previous set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
>
> Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
> resides on?

You could do that, but it isn't an elegant solution.
IIRC lilo makes a backup of the MBR, so you might be able to restore it.
Search google groups for how to do this (if the old MBR is what you want).

If you have Partition Magic, you can use that to reformat the partition.
But it costs $$$ and there are many tools you could use. Knoppix would be
an option. The partition tool in the Mandrake installer is quite good (and
GUI), you could boot off the MDK install disks, reformat the Linux
partition as FAT or whatever, then exit the installer. Otherwise, there is
a DOS tool for managing partitions, called fdisk or similar. It is a
command line tool, but it works fine and comes at a much better price than
Partition Magic.

HTH

Peter

Olson Johnson

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:35:48 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Hi.
>
> My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
> space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed it.
> I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
>
> What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to my
> blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
> remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my previous
> set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
>
> Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
> resides on?
>
> Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need to
> get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ~misfit~

Boot from your Mandrake install disk and run the install up to the
diskdrake partitioning tool, then use that to delete the linux partition
so that it is just free space.
You can then use diskdrake to set it as fat32 if you like, or not then reboot.
To get rid of lilo use a 98 startup disk and fdisk /mbr and you will then just
get the XP bootloader at startup
and fdisk to set the free space to fat32.

cowboyz

"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
news:rOUdb.162502$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
> space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed

it.
> I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
>
> What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back to

my
> blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
> remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

previous
> set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
>
> Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
> resides on?
>
> Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need to
> get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ~misfit~

I'm not saying this is the best way but this is how I would attack it.

boot from floppy and type fdisk /mbr
boot off xp cd and goto repair mode and type fixboot
got into xp and under disc management format your linux partition and leave
it as a partition.

Then, If you do get a new hard drive or want to go back to Linux you don't
have to repartition again.

all this should take about 10 mins.

~misfit~

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bla5j5$ob$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> news:rOUdb.162502$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi.
> >
> > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
> > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed

> it.
> > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
> >
> > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

> my
> > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
> > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

> previous
> > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
> >
> > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
> > resides on?
> >
> > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need

> > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > ~misfit~
> >

> I'm not saying this is the best way but this is how I would attack it.
>
> boot from floppy and type fdisk /mbr
> boot off xp cd and goto repair mode and type fixboot
> got into xp and under disc management format your linux partition and

leave
> it as a partition.
>
> Then, If you do get a new hard drive or want to go back to Linux you

don't
> have to repartition again.
>
> all this should take about 10 mins.

Thanks for this, I'll give it a try.
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~

"Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:35:48 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
> > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed

it.
> > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
> >
> > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

to my
> > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
> > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

previous
> > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
> >
> > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
> > resides on?
> >
> > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need

> > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > ~misfit~
> >

> Boot from your Mandrake install disk and run the install up to the
> diskdrake partitioning tool, then use that to delete the linux partition
> so that it is just free space.
> You can then use diskdrake to set it as fat32 if you like, or not then

reboot.
> To get rid of lilo use a 98 startup disk and fdisk /mbr and you will then

just
> get the XP bootloader at startup
> and fdisk to set the free space to fat32.

Thankyou.
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this quote is from ~misfit~ of Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:35 :
> > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
> > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed
> > it. I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
> >
> > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

> > my blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need
> > to remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my
> > previous set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
> >
> > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
> > resides on?

> You could do that, but it isn't an elegant solution.
> IIRC lilo makes a backup of the MBR, so you might be able to restore it.
> Search google groups for how to do this (if the old MBR is what you want).
>
> If you have Partition Magic, you can use that to reformat the partition.
> But it costs $$$ and there are many tools you could use. Knoppix would be
> an option. The partition tool in the Mandrake installer is quite good

(and
> GUI), you could boot off the MDK install disks, reformat the Linux
> partition as FAT or whatever, then exit the installer. Otherwise, there

is
> a DOS tool for managing partitions, called fdisk or similar. It is a
> command line tool, but it works fine and comes at a much better price than
> Partition Magic.

Thanks Peter, I have Partition Magic.
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .co.nz...
> In article <rOUdb.162502$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
> > Hi.
> >
> > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare disk
> > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I installed

it.
> > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
> >
> > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

to my
> > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need to
> > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

previous
> > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
> >
> > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that Mandrake
> > resides on?
> >
> > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need

> > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > ~misfit~

> I did the very thing, but it's been well over a year (mandrake 6 or 7 at
> the time) and I am getting fuzzy on the details. I.i.r.c. I used
> Partition Magic to reclaim the space on the harddrive, and XP's boot
> manager control applet to replace LILO.

Thanks Peter.
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~

"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
newsK2eb.162956$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:bla5j5$ob$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> > news:rOUdb.162502$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > My machine used to dual-boot between 98SE and XP. I had some spare

disk
> > > space, Mandrake 9.1 install disks and a burning curiosity so I

installed
> > it.
> > > I hardly use it and am out of disk space now.
> > >
> > > What I need to know is: Is ther any way I can uninstall it and go back

> > my
> > > blissfully ignorant state and re-claim my disk space for XP? I'd need

> > > remove LILO and the Mandrake partitions and hopefully go back to my

> > previous
> > > set-up where I could dual-boot 98SE and XP.
> > >
> > > Or do I just leave LILO as it is but format the partitions that

Mandrake
> > > resides on?
> > >
> > > Help please, I can't afford a bigger HDD at the moment and really need

> > > get the 6gigs back (of 20) that I dedicated to Mandrake.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > ~misfit~
> > >

> > I'm not saying this is the best way but this is how I would attack it.
> >
> > boot from floppy and type fdisk /mbr
> > boot off xp cd and goto repair mode and type fixboot
> > got into xp and under disc management format your linux partition and

> leave
> > it as a partition.
> >
> > Then, If you do get a new hard drive or want to go back to Linux you

> don't
> > have to repartition again.
> >
> > all this should take about 10 mins.

> Thanks for this, I'll give it a try.