Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop between 2 networks

Laptop between 2 networks

EAgle

Hi all,
Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own proxy
servers for various protocols.

What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the networks, I
release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings for
each application that I'm going to use.

This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically have
2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch between
the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.

Cheers,
EAgle

Pleb Plebian

"EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl8u7u$rk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
> networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own proxy
> servers for various protocols.

<snip>
Basically have
> 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

between
> the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
> Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
> solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
>
> Cheers,
> EAgle

http://www.netswitcher.com/
Have used this on NT, ME and Win2000 laptops: very reliable. Changes Inet
settings too - eg dialin vs network (gateway) info etc.
HTH
-Pleb

EAgle

"Pleb Plebian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl8u7u$rk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> > Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
> > networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own

proxy
> > servers for various protocols.
> >

> <snip>
> Basically have
> > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

> between
> > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing

this?
> > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
> > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > EAgle

> http://www.netswitcher.com/
> Have used this on NT, ME and Win2000 laptops: very reliable. Changes Inet
> settings too - eg dialin vs network (gateway) info etc.
> HTH
> -Pleb

Thanks.. I'll try that out..

steve

EAgle wrote:
> Hi all,
> Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
> networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own proxy
> servers for various protocols.
>
> What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the networks, I
> release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
> network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings for
> each application that I'm going to use.
>
> This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
> that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically have
> 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch between
> the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
> Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
> solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
>
> Cheers,
> EAgle

I get around it by using MS IE on one network and Mozilla on the other.

At least you use DHCP on both networks. I havestatic IP on one and DHCP
on the other.....and everything works fine as long as I remember to
reconfig the network before i shutdown and head off off to the other
network.

Mr Scebe

"EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl8u7u$rk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
> that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

have
> 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

between
> the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
> Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
> solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.

Set up two hardware profiles. One for each network, with the NIC set with a
static address for each. The other way to achieve something similar would be
to pre-set your "Private network address" to one network.

--
Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.

EAgle

news:%m4eb.4595$(E-Mail Removed)...
> EAgle wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Another question for you all. I have a laptop that I use on 2 different
> > networks, Both enable IP addrresses via DHCP and both have their own

proxy
> > servers for various protocols.
> >
> > What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the

networks, I
> > release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
> > network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings

for
> > each application that I'm going to use.
> >
> > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
> > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

have
> > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

between
> > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing

this?
> > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
> > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > EAgle

> I get around it by using MS IE on one network and Mozilla on the other.
>
> At least you use DHCP on both networks. I havestatic IP on one and DHCP
> on the other.....and everything works fine as long as I remember to
> reconfig the network before i shutdown and head off off to the other
> network.

Thanks.. the software that Pleb suggested seem to work sweet though. You
could give that a try as well.

EAgle

"Mr Scebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3xceb.163546$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl8u7u$rk$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
> > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

> have
> > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

> between
> > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing

this?
> > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
> > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.

> Set up two hardware profiles. One for each network, with the NIC set with

> static address for each. The other way to achieve something similar would

be
> to pre-set your "Private network address" to one network.
>
> --
> Mr Scebe
> Losers always whine about their 'best'.
> Winners go home and **** the prom queen".
> ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Pleb suggesting this peice of software http://www.netswitcher.com/ which
worked great for me. Might be useful for you as well.

Cheers,
EAgle

Henry Falkner

"EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl8u7u$rk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the networks,

> release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
> network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings for
> each application that I'm going to use.
>
> This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
> that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

have
> 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

between
> the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing this?
> Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
> solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
>
> Cheers, EAgle

I have two laptops running Windows XP. When I linked up the two, I had to
run a configuration facility by clicking one of the icons that popped up.
This created a 'network place' for the other computer. I expect that a
second computer when configured wil create a new 'network place', ie, do the
same job as some third party utilities mentioned in other replies. I did not
have to juggle IP adresses.

Windows 98 has something similar, but I managed to wreck it when
uninstalling a manually configured wireless network card. The uninstallation
took some vital system files with it.

Henry

EAgle

"Henry Falkner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl8u7u$rk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> > What i'm doing at the moment is every time I switch between the

networks,
> > release and renew my IP to make sure I get the correct settings for the
> > network I'm on, then I have to go and change the proxy server settings

for
> > each application that I'm going to use.
> >
> > This is a hassle, and I remember reading somewhere at some point in time
> > that there was software which allowed this to be done easily. Basically

> have
> > 2 or more network configs sitting on one computer and you can switch

> between
> > the two. Anyone know of any such software? Or a simpler way of doing

this?
> > Dual boot System with RedHat Linux 9 and Windows XP, I would like the
> > solution for Windows since I dont use Linux on one of the networks.
> >
> > Cheers, EAgle

> I have two laptops running Windows XP. When I linked up the two, I had to
> run a configuration facility by clicking one of the icons that popped up.
> This created a 'network place' for the other computer. I expect that a
> second computer when configured wil create a new 'network place', ie, do

the
> same job as some third party utilities mentioned in other replies. I did

not
> have to juggle IP adresses.
>
> Windows 98 has something similar, but I managed to wreck it when
> uninstalling a manually configured wireless network card. The

uninstallation
> took some vital system files with it.
>
> Henry

Hi Henry,
I think you misinterpreted the question. The problem here is with ONE
computer connecting to TWO networks, not TWO computers on ONE network.
Windows XP by default keeps one configuration per Ethernet adapter, but more
importantly than that, it only keeps one internet configuration (proxy
servers etc). This is where the 3rd party utilities become handy.
Cheers,
EAgle