Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best online banking interface?

Reply
Thread Tools

Best online banking interface?

 
 
Mark.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management etc..

My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
WestPac.

Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.

Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jedmesiter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
Forget ASB/Bankdirect, their online banking does not support FCA.

Try HSBC, I have an account with them in the UK and the internet banking is
really good.But, I'm not sure if HSBC NZ are any good, but worth checking
them out.


"Mark." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
> banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
> such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management etc..
>
> My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
> WestPac.
>
> Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.
>
> Thanks.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:26:32 +1200, jedmesiter wrote:

> Forget ASB/Bankdirect, their online banking does not support FCA.
>
> Try HSBC, I have an account with them in the UK and the internet banking
> is really good.But, I'm not sure if HSBC NZ are any good, but worth
> checking them out.
>
>
> "Mark." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
>> banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
>> such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management
>> etc..
>>
>> My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
>> WestPac.


HSBC NZ internet banking does do Automatic Payments / Bill Payments &
Foreign Ccy accounts. To my knowledge, they're the only bank in NZ who do
support FCAs online.

But... they have high opening balance requirements (NZD 3000, more for
FCA), and their human service level is attrocious. OK if you want to do
everything via the web, but you'll come out swearing it you ever have to
do anything in a branch or on the phone!

Also, they're linux phobic, so Linuxers have to amend their browser user
agent id. (Why would anyone be so stupid as to allow _only_ IE or Netscape
4 series browsers!). I don't know if they support OSX in a similarly
unfriendly manner.

You can open an account online here:
http://www.hsbc.co.nz/nz/personal/pr...avings/osa.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
The Other Guy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
Do you know if any of them support managing Term Investments online?

ASB tells me it will come be available eventually, but they have told me
that for years now. They claim other features are more important, but I
haven't seen much added at all over the years.

They are overall a good bank to deal with, but their Internet offering isn't
really that useful, and their limits stupidly low (They will increase some
on request, but $2500 a day for EFTPOS is still pathetic no matter how you
look at it).

The Other Guy

"Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:26:32 +1200, jedmesiter wrote:
>
> > Forget ASB/Bankdirect, their online banking does not support FCA.
> >
> > Try HSBC, I have an account with them in the UK and the internet banking
> > is really good.But, I'm not sure if HSBC NZ are any good, but worth
> > checking them out.
> >
> >
> > "Mark." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
> >> banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
> >> such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management
> >> etc..
> >>
> >> My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
> >> WestPac.

>
> HSBC NZ internet banking does do Automatic Payments / Bill Payments &
> Foreign Ccy accounts. To my knowledge, they're the only bank in NZ who do
> support FCAs online.
>
> But... they have high opening balance requirements (NZD 3000, more for
> FCA), and their human service level is attrocious. OK if you want to do
> everything via the web, but you'll come out swearing it you ever have to
> do anything in a branch or on the phone!
>
> Also, they're linux phobic, so Linuxers have to amend their browser user
> agent id. (Why would anyone be so stupid as to allow _only_ IE or Netscape
> 4 series browsers!). I don't know if they support OSX in a similarly
> unfriendly manner.
>
> You can open an account online here:
> http://www.hsbc.co.nz/nz/personal/pr...avings/osa.htm



 
Reply With Quote
 
Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:56:14 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

> Do you know if any of them support managing Term Investments online?
>
> ASB tells me it will come be available eventually, but they have told me
> that for years now. They claim other features are more important, but I
> haven't seen much added at all over the years.
>
> They are overall a good bank to deal with, but their Internet offering
> isn't really that useful, and their limits stupidly low (They will
> increase some on request, but $2500 a day for EFTPOS is still pathetic no
> matter how you look at it).


Yes TDs can be managed online. Loans can be seen online, (balances /
transactions etc) but not changed.

HSBC daily payment limits are NZD 10k.

Overall quite a good site IB site.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Allistar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
Mark. wrote:

> Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
> banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
> such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management etc..
>
> My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
> WestPac.
>
> Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.
>
> Thanks.


I use ANZ and find it quite good. It doesn't render perfectly in Mozilla but
functions flawlessly. My only gripe is there seems to be no tax code for
making provisional payments (when paying tax online).

Allistar.

 
Reply With Quote
 
ToiletDuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:26:34 +1200, Mark. wrote:

> Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
> banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
> such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management etc..
>
> My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
> WestPac.
>
> Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.
>
> Thanks.


WestPac has a nice clean interface and it works fine in Opera, Mozilla and
Konqueror in Linux. Of course, Westpac is a crap bank that will empty your
account with their extortionate fees, but the website is great.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:48:17 +1200, Allistar wrote:

> I use ANZ and find it quite good. It doesn't render perfectly in Mozilla
> but functions flawlessly. My only gripe is there seems to be no tax code
> for making provisional payments (when paying tax online).


Just use the pay anyone function and put the tax code in the "Code" panel

"In the payee code panel, enter three zeroes in the first three boxes,
leave the next box blank, enter TAX and leave another box blank. Then
enter the code for the correct tax type."

http://www.ird.govt.nz/contacts/payments.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Mayhew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
"Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):


>
> You can open an account online here:
> http://www.hsbc.co.nz/nz/personal/pr...avings/osa.htm


I found a lot of 404 errors on their site (in the business area) - you know
if that is normal ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Uncle StoatWarbler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2003
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:01:29 +1200, Howard wrote:

> Also, they're linux phobic, so Linuxers have to amend their browser user
> agent id. (Why would anyone be so stupid as to allow _only_ IE or Netscape
> 4 series browsers!).


BNZ have been guilty of this too, along with pages which should have had
them prosecuted for discrimination against blind users.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
automating online banking login & checking for new transactions -what's best approach? (e.g. which gems/libraries etc) Greg Hauptmann Ruby 5 08-27-2009 12:39 PM
Online Banking scam Artiflect Computer Support 2 11-12-2004 02:37 AM
Can't Confirm Banking Transfers- Online Banking Bank of America (Firefox1.0) totsob Firefox 1 10-22-2004 10:19 PM
Firefox and online banking Hilary A Croughton Firefox 7 07-30-2004 02:00 PM



Advertisments