Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom DSL re-connection fees!!(long story)

Telecom DSL re-connection fees!!(long story)

bt

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:40:24 +1200, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"bt" wrote
>> Apparently they need some monkey to physically move the lines, which
>> seems pretty daft and 3rd world to me. I'd have thought they'd have
>> computerised it by now - should be possible using even relays - a
>> 1950's era technology...

>you think that that is backwards... to disconnect your power they still send
>someone out to pull your poll fuse... how dumb is that.

Makes you wonder how much business is run to 'cold hard market facts'
and how much is run to silly traditions and old boys clubs..

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

bt

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:30:37 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>> But if it were done electronically, there would be no way(apart from
>> breaking into the computer system) to turn it back on.

>The power company infrastructure is nothing like the telephone company
>infrastructure. They don't have separate wires for your installation all
>the way back to the substation. Your individual wires start at the pole.

Don't need them. Just an intelligent controller in the meter box. Send
a certain coded signal, and it turns the power off.

Serial communications.

Hell, you can do several megabits of lan traffic over power lines.

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:26:39 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

> But what say I have a spare poll fuse(I know my folks do)... than I can just
> chuck it in(at a guess)

If they find out, you face fairly substantial criminal penalties.

Look up "theft of electricity" sometime.

T.N.O.

"Mainlander" wrote
> The power company infrastructure is nothing like the telephone company
> infrastructure. They don't have separate wires for your installation all
> the way back to the substation. Your individual wires start at the pole.

I see... well, I still think there should be some way to do it.

Richard

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f7b5787$(E-Mail Removed)...

> you think that that is backwards... to disconnect your power they still

send
> someone out to pull your poll fuse... how dumb is that.

No they dont, they move a wire on the meter to a spare terminal and re-seal
the connection cover to see if you mess with it.

T.N.O.

"Richard" wrote
> > you think that that is backwards... to disconnect your power they still

> send
> > someone out to pull your poll fuse... how dumb is that.

> No they dont, they move a wire on the meter to a spare terminal and

re-seal
> the connection cover to see if you mess with it.

Well thats what they do here in Dunedin anyway... eitherway, manual labour,
WTF?

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:30:37 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
> >> But if it were done electronically, there would be no way(apart from
> >> breaking into the computer system) to turn it back on.

> >The power company infrastructure is nothing like the telephone company
> >infrastructure. They don't have separate wires for your installation all
> >the way back to the substation. Your individual wires start at the pole.

> Don't need them. Just an intelligent controller in the meter box. Send
> a certain coded signal, and it turns the power off.

Can't do it without spending untold sums replacing all the equipment with
new equipment.

T.N.O.

"Mainlander" wrote
> Can't do it without spending untold sums replacing all the equipment with
> new equipment.

Unbundle the local loop.. that'll fix em...

bt

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:29:49 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>> Don't need them. Just an intelligent controller in the meter box. Send
>> a certain coded signal, and it turns the power off.

>Can't do it without spending untold sums replacing all the equipment with
>new equipment.

I guess it's totally impossible then.

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

Joe

bt wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:30:37 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
> >> But if it were done electronically, there would be no way(apart from
> >> breaking into the computer system) to turn it back on.

> >The power company infrastructure is nothing like the telephone company
> >infrastructure. They don't have separate wires for your installation all
> >the way back to the substation. Your individual wires start at the pole.

> Don't need them. Just an intelligent controller in the meter box. Send
> a certain coded signal, and it turns the power off.
>
> Serial communications.
>
> Hell, you can do several megabits of lan traffic over power lines.
>
> Brendan (Avatar)

So you recommend that the power companies go to all this expense
just for the possible occasion that some people are going to default
on their power bill? Who do you think would pay for this technology?
Always the consumer!
That's why geeks aren't running power companies!
Technology for technology's sake is just crap!

Joe

Time Warner Telecom Calls on FCC to Support Competitive Telecom Market by Imposing Conditions to AT&T-BellSouth Merger Knowing About VOIP 0 10-13-2006 07:44 AM
dsl telecom filter XPD NZ Computing 1 05-16-2006 06:01 AM
Question about DSL connections by Telecom at your home Craig NZ Computing 15 07-06-2005 04:14 AM
Telecom DSL avail without a phoneline? Nathan Mercer NZ Computing 6 03-07-2004 09:22 AM
256Kbps DSL with no cap for just $29.95 plus Telecom component? Bruce Simpson NZ Computing 4 09-03-2003 06:00 AM

Advertisments