Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom DSL re-connection fees!!(long story)

Telecom DSL re-connection fees!!(long story)

reetix

"PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:m1Idb.4319$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone else come across this situation- having paided the $99 dsl

connection fee a few years back for getting the service connected,
> then we recently shifted to a new address, so rang telecom to let them

know that we wish to have the telephone service and dsl
> service stopped at 3pm on a Friday afternoon and reconnected at the new

address at round about the same time.

> Telecom informs us on the phone that disconnecting and reconnecting the

phone service will be $45 , ok fair enough, but the big
> shock was that to have the dsl service disconnected and reconnected we

would again have to pay $99.

Apparantly (according to british telecom anyway) when you move house, a
telco engineer has to go to your new exchange and physically plug in a cable
to enable your adsl at your new address, thus incurring this fee. It's the
same in the UK.

Bruce Simpson

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:21:45 +0100, "reetix" <reetix@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Apparantly (according to british telecom anyway) when you move house, a
>telco engineer has to go to your new exchange and physically plug in a cable
>to enable your adsl at your new address, thus incurring this fee. It's the
>same in the UK.

Hell, if that's all that's involved I'll gladly do the plugging for
just $89 -- saving everyone $10

Brett Cooper

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:21:45 +0100, "reetix" <reetix@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>Apparantly (according to british telecom anyway) when you move house, a
>telco engineer has to go to your new exchange and physically plug in a cable
>to enable your adsl at your new address, thus incurring this fee. It's the
>same in the UK.

I guess telecom are charging you for disconnection as well as connection
when you pay the setup fee. I don't think telecom would be disconnecting
you for free or do anything for free. Oh and 'go black' (not a UN
reference) [Sorry for this humor - it was a silly thing to say - i guess
that's why I did it] {If I could go black and delete it, I would} <sorry to
all who where offended>

bt

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:56:52 +1200, "tim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>hmm, dunno. am i missing something,

Yes, you are:

1. the filters plug into your wall socket. E.g. you take them with you
when you move.

2. Telecom only has to type a few commands into their computer at the
exchange. E.g. I doubt anyone with a soldering iron or screw driver is
involved.

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

Richard Malcolm-Smith

> Yes, you are:
>
> 1. the filters plug into your wall socket. E.g. you take them with you
> when you move.

Only if you get the self install option, its not suitable for a lot of cases.

> 2. Telecom only has to type a few commands into their computer at the
> exchange. E.g. I doubt anyone with a soldering iron or screw driver is
> involved.

The line has to be re-jumpered to go thru the dslam equipment, this involves
some work at the exchange.

tim

> Yes, you are:

no

> 2. Telecom only has to type a few commands into their computer at the
> exchange. E.g. I doubt anyone with a soldering iron or screw driver is
> involved.

exactly, assuming of course that the filter is already on your line at the
exchange, hell you don't even need to talk to Telecom if that is the case,
you just deal with your ISP.

But if your line has not had a filter installed then it reasonable to expect
the customer to pay at least some of that cost...

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:42:56 +1200, Brett Cooper wrote:

> I guess telecom are charging you for disconnection as well as connection
> when you pay the setup fee.

Nope, no disconnection. The strategy is to leave idled connections
attached to the DSLAM unless they run out of ports on it.

There are a bunch of other strategies at work, which is why Jetstream is
so nobbled at the moment. Let's just say (again) that the entire aim of
DSL is not to provide Internet services.

bt

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:03:56 +1200, Richard Malcolm-Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Yes, you are:
>>
>> 1. the filters plug into your wall socket. E.g. you take them with you
>> when you move.

>Only if you get the self install option, its not suitable for a lot of cases.

Which cases are those ?

And I think 'a lot of cases' is very much wrong. A 'small minority' I
might accept, but not 'a lot'.

I think most people could just install a filer on their phone jack for
the telephones. Sure, it cost about $30 to buy one, but it's a one off
cost.

So we come back to Telecom charging $100 to change a wire from 'A' to
'B' and appending your accounting file. And even this could be
computerised.

But it's all acedemic: Telecom charge the $100 because they know they
have stifled any competition.

>> 2. Telecom only has to type a few commands into their computer at the
>> exchange. E.g. I doubt anyone with a soldering iron or screw driver is
>> involved.

>The line has to be re-jumpered to go thru the dslam equipment, this involves
>some work at the exchange.

Sounds like they could computerise that.

I assumed they did - I guess I overestimated Telecom's desire to
modernise.

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

bt

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:04:29 +1200, "tim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Yes, you are:

>no

Yes.

>> 2. Telecom only has to type a few commands into their computer at the
>> exchange. E.g. I doubt anyone with a soldering iron or screw driver is
>> involved.

>exactly, assuming of course that the filter is already on your line at the
>exchange, hell you don't even need to talk to Telecom if that is the case,
>you just deal with your ISP.

It goes on your phone jack inside your house.

You should only be charged if you need hand holding.

It's not as if Telecom runs 'adsl' at a loss....

>But if your line has not had a filter installed then it reasonable to expect
>the customer to pay at least some of that cost...

The customer can go into Dick Smiths or order a couple of filters from
Telecon. They can then plug them into the wall themselves.

If they cannot manage that I suggest they need a bed in a Hospice.

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

bt wrote:

>>Only if you get the self install option, its not suitable for a lot of cases.

> Which cases are those ?

Alarm system, long way from the exchange, old 3 wire jackpoints installed in the
house, 3 wire phones.

> And I think 'a lot of cases' is very much wrong. A 'small minority' I
> might accept, but not 'a lot'.

Sounds like heaps to me. Other cases will largly work but have to drop the speed
when the line is in use because the balancing is up the creek with the old 3
wire system and most plug in filters only filtering one of the 2 legs, means
that the ringer is sometimes not filtered.

> I think most people could just install a filer on their phone jack for
> the telephones. Sure, it cost about $30 to buy one, but it's a one off
> cost.

Per phone, and the sky box. Alarms wired to capture the phoneline will not be
able to be filtered simply by plugging in.

> So we come back to Telecom charging $100 to change a wire from 'A' to
> 'B' and appending your accounting file. And even this could be
> computerised.

> But it's all acedemic: Telecom charge the $100 because they know they
> have stifled any competition.

Someone has to make the request for the contracter, they have to do some work at
the exchange. Try to get any cabling contractor to go onsite somewhere for $100
and do similar work.

>>The line has to be re-jumpered to go thru the dslam equipment, this involves
>>some work at the exchange.

> Sounds like they could computerise that.
>
> I assumed they did - I guess I overestimated Telecom's desire to
> modernise.

The cable has to be de-patched from the exchange, moved over to one side of the
dslam equipment, another cable put back between the exchange and the dslam to
carry the dialtone phone service, the line has to be tested and the job signed
off, sure, if they have several to do at the same exchange at once then the $100
is prob a bit over the top, but im sure there are cases where there costs are
greater then the $99 they charge you.

How can you computerise the relocation of cables?

What I think is more interesting is that they can provision a 128k circuit
nationwide for $30 to one set of customers, but to another set of customers to
get essentially the same thing costs several times that.

Time Warner Telecom Calls on FCC to Support Competitive Telecom Market by Imposing Conditions to AT&T-BellSouth Merger Knowing About VOIP 0 10-13-2006 07:44 AM
dsl telecom filter XPD NZ Computing 1 05-16-2006 06:01 AM
Question about DSL connections by Telecom at your home Craig NZ Computing 15 07-06-2005 04:14 AM
Telecom DSL avail without a phoneline? Nathan Mercer NZ Computing 6 03-07-2004 09:22 AM
256Kbps DSL with no cap for just $29.95 plus Telecom component? Bruce Simpson NZ Computing 4 09-03-2003 06:00 AM

Advertisments