Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > VNC and Windows XP

VNC and Windows XP

EAgle

Hi guys/gals
I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can connect
to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen using
ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped. This
same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has been
designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes? or is
this something to do with VNC?

Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it when
i need to check something remotely..

Any ideas?

Thanks

OJ

EAgle wrote:

> Hi guys/gals
> I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can connect
> to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen using
> ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped. This
> same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has been
> designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes? or is
> this something to do with VNC?
>
> Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it when
> i need to check something remotely..
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use Windows
XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to download
from MS at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...rdclientdl.asp
and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
http://www.rdesktop.org/

OJ

steve wrote:

> EAgle allegedly said:
>

>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks

> Get an operating system that works properly?
>
> (l i n u x)

Wrong as well as unhelpful.
Its not possible to log into the desktop you were working on at your
desktop with VNC in linux, it starts a different X Window.
It would only work if you started in a VNC viewer on the desktop.

EAgle

"OJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G_1db.4014$(E-Mail Removed)...
> steve wrote:
>
> > EAgle allegedly said:
> >

> >>Any ideas?
> >>
> >>Thanks

> > Get an operating system that works properly?
> >
> > (l i n u x)
> >

> Wrong as well as unhelpful.
> Its not possible to log into the desktop you were working on at your
> desktop with VNC in linux, it starts a different X Window.
> It would only work if you started in a VNC viewer on the desktop.

Yes thats what i found. I already have a couple of machine running Linux
which I used VNC to logon to .. but that doesn't solve the problem with XP

EAgle

"OJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ij1db.4000$(E-Mail Removed)...
> EAgle wrote:
>
> > Hi guys/gals
> > I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can

connect
> > to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen

using
> > ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped. This
> > same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has

been
> > designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes? or

is
> > this something to do with VNC?
> >
> > Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it

when
> > i need to check something remotely..
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use Windows
> XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
> The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to download
> from MS at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...rdclientdl.asp
> and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
> http://www.rdesktop.org/

Thanks I'll give that a try, but this means running Terminal Services on the
machine aye.. I used to think VNC Server is more light weight than Termal
Services..

Anyway I'll give this a try.. anything that works

Cheers

Olson Johnson

"EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl2nb6$r99$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "OJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ij1db.4000$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > EAgle wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys/gals
> > > I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can

> connect
> > > to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen

> using
> > > ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped.

This
> > > same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has

> been
> > > designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes?

or
> is
> > > this something to do with VNC?
> > >
> > > Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it

> when
> > > i need to check something remotely..
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use Windows
> > XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
> > The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to download
> > from MS at

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...rdclientdl.asp
> > and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
> > http://www.rdesktop.org/
> >

> Thanks I'll give that a try, but this means running Terminal Services on

the
> machine aye.. I used to think VNC Server is more light weight than Termal
> Services..
>
> Anyway I'll give this a try.. anything that works
>
> Cheers

There doesn't seem to be much difference.
PCAnywhere has a lot more features and thats my first choice for Windows,
but this one comes free and built in.
Its what I have been using from laptops running 98 and 2k to access an XP
desktop
When I log on from the laptop the desktop automatically logs off to the
login prompt.

EAgle

"Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gw5db.4034$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl2nb6$r99$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "OJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ij1db.4000$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > connect

screen
> > using

> This

has
> > been

> or
> > is

it
> > when

> > > If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use

Windows
> > > XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
> > > The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to

download
> > > from MS at

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...rdclientdl.asp
> > > and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
> > > http://www.rdesktop.org/
> > >

> > Thanks I'll give that a try, but this means running Terminal Services on

> the
> > machine aye.. I used to think VNC Server is more light weight than

Termal
> > Services..
> >
> > Anyway I'll give this a try.. anything that works
> >
> > Cheers

> There doesn't seem to be much difference.
> PCAnywhere has a lot more features and thats my first choice for Windows,
> but this one comes free and built in.
> Its what I have been using from laptops running 98 and 2k to access an XP
> desktop
> When I log on from the laptop the desktop automatically logs off to the
> login prompt.

OK i have tried this now. it works nicely but the remote session is logged
out when i connect so its sort of a non optimal solution, but works anyway
Thanks.

I'll still be interested if anyone knows how to get VNC to work...

Nathan Mercer

"EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl2nb6$r99$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you are logging into the desktop of the XP box, you could use Windows
> > XPs remote desktop protocol instead. That gives you a remote login.
> > The client viewer which also runs on 9x and 2k is available to download
> > from MS at

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...rdclientdl.asp
> > and a linux viewer is also available in most distros
> > http://www.rdesktop.org/
> >

> Thanks I'll give that a try, but this means running Terminal Services on

the
> machine aye.. I used to think VNC Server is more light weight than Termal
> Services..
>
> Anyway I'll give this a try.. anything that works

Run the latest version of the Remote Desktop/Terminal Services client from

Mainlander

In article <bl13r4$qg1$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi guys/gals
> I'm running Windows XP sp-1 and RealVNC server on my laptop. I can connect
> to the machine fine when XP is in normal mode but if i lock the screen using
> ctrl+alt+del then VNC connections to the machine are being dropped. This
> same scenario works fine with Windows 2000. Does anyone know if XP has been
> designed not to allow network connections when the screen is lockes? or is
> this something to do with VNC?
>
> Sort of defeats the purpose if i cant lock my machine then log into it when
> i need to check something remotely..
>
> Any ideas?

Read your XP license!

T.N.O.

"Mainlander" wrote
> Read your XP license!

It doesnt say anything about not accepting network connections when the PC
is locked... care to enlighten me?

vnc/firewall configuration Headtheball Wireless Networking 5 07-02-2009 08:24 PM
Terminal services and VNC =?Utf-8?B?aXMgVGVybWluYWwgc2VydmVycyBjb21wYXRpYmxlIHdpdGggVk5DPw==?= Wireless Networking 2 02-03-2005 09:59 PM
VNC and NAP DGH Computer Support 7 12-09-2004 05:43 PM
LAN config and using VNC between Win98SE and XPPro. TIA roadster3043 Computer Support 2 11-29-2004 05:04 AM
Cisco 837 to Cisco 837 VPN, ping OK, NetBios / VNC DROPPING! Suppa Lamah Cisco 8 12-19-2003 01:15 PM

Advertisments