Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Seagate ships first PC operating system pre-loaded on value-priced hard drives!

Seagate ships first PC operating system pre-loaded on value-priced hard drives!

Gordon

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:23:17 +1200, steve wrote:

> Mutley allegedly said:
>
>> Here's an interesting take on preinstalled OS.
>>
>> http://www.lindows.com/lindows_seagate.php

> Great idea.

But does Time say that it will fly.

--
Gordon

Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

T.N.O.

"Chris Wilkinson" wrote
> You can still download it for free. Its a lot cheaper than buying
> Windows

I assume your talking about Lindows here... where can I download it, I cant
find it anywhere.

> - No EULA bullshit

Actually you do with Lindows from what I have read of the reviews.

GraB

Out of interest, there is a bootable CD version of Lindows, like the
Knoppix bootable CD, coming up on the next APC mag. Apparently you
can use a USB memory stick and save your documents and settings
between sessions, making for a very portable OS.

Olson Johnson

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Chris Wilkinson" wrote
> > You can still download it for free. Its a lot cheaper than buying
> > Windows

> I assume your talking about Lindows here... where can I download it, I

cant
> find it anywhere.
>
> > - No EULA bullshit

> Actually you do with Lindows from what I have read of the reviews.

If you have the skills to download a distro and burn it, you have
progressed beyond Lindows and might as well head directly for debian or
knoppix.

Rob

"Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G3ocb.3562$(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you have the skills to download a distro and burn it, you have
> progressed beyond Lindows and might as well head directly for debian or
> knoppix.

Except that Knoppix is closed at the moment until all this patent baloney is
sorted, and seeing as there are lawyers involved, bye bye Knoppix. It was
nice knowing you.

BTW, does anyone in Welly have a copy I could borrow? I only got the pcworld
cover cd version.

Rob

Olson Johnson

news:bkt640$mtv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Olson Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:G3ocb.3562$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > If you have the skills to download a distro and burn it, you have
> > progressed beyond Lindows and might as well head directly for debian or
> > knoppix.
> >

> Except that Knoppix is closed at the moment until all this patent baloney

is
> sorted, and seeing as there are lawyers involved, bye bye Knoppix. It was
> nice knowing you.

Try clicking on the link to the mirrors that I included.
3.3 is on the mirrors now, I have it downloaded but not brnt yt
The protest notice on the site front page is just that, a protest, no law
has been passed and no lawyers are involved.
The site is operating as normal if you click on the word knoppix in the
English paragraph

As is the excellent info and forum site for knoppix www.knoppix.net

Rob

Olson Johnson wrote:
> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bkt640$mtv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Try clicking on the link to the mirrors that I included.
> 3.3 is on the mirrors now, I have it downloaded but not brnt yt
> The protest notice on the site front page is just that, a protest, no
> law has been passed and no lawyers are involved.
> The site is operating as normal if you click on the word knoppix in
> the English paragraph
>
> As is the excellent info and forum site for knoppix www.knoppix.net

Thanks for that. Missed that particular post.

Rob

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>>
>>>Lindows manages to combine 1/2 of the functionality of Windows, with
>>>1/2 of the functionality of Linux. Somehow this adds up to an OS
>>>that works about 1/4 as well as either Windows or Linux.

>>Have you tried Lindows? Or Lycoris/DesktopLX? It all depends how you
>>define functionality. Windows-centric functionality means including
>>10 million things that 99% of us will never use...

> Doesn't it only have support for a very limited number of Windows
> applications?

If you run Wine you can use all the Win32 apps Wine can...thats a
pretty sizeable list now. I meant that Microsofts definition of
funtionality seems to be 10 million things that 99% of us will
never use.

>> > Plus it costs money! Bleh!

>>You can still download it for free.

> Ah! Didn't know that! Makes it a whole lot more interesting then .
>
>>Oh, and you also get the following...
>>
>>- No virus crap

> And the linux antivirus programs are just created for fun?

No, they are created to stop the spread of Windows viruses through
generic technologies like dhtml, java etc. There are a few native
Linux viruses I believe, but I've never encountered one or heard about
any Linux user being got...

>>- No EULA bullshit

> Can't disagree with this one. However, the amount that you're limited by the
> Microsoft EULA depends heavily on how much you care .

Lindows OS has an end-user agreement too, but I would imagine it would
be quite friendly compared to the MS EULA...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

GraB wrote:
> Out of interest, there is a bootable CD version of Lindows, like the
> Knoppix bootable CD, coming up on the next APC mag. Apparently you
> can use a USB memory stick and save your documents and settings
> between sessions, making for a very portable OS.

Cool. APC have some not-half-bad Linux support IMHO. I'm a
regular buyer, and this coming month looks to be no exception
if Lindows bootable is included among the discs...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

T.N.O.

"Chris Wilkinson" wrote
> > I assume your talking about Lindows here... where can I download it, I

cant
> > find it anywhere.

> Try something obvious, like www.lindows.com and then click on the nice
> link with the bright red word "FREE' in it...

Ahhh, re-design of the site since I last looked.

> >>- No EULA bullshit

> > Actually you do with Lindows from what I have read of the reviews.

> Yes there is, but it would be more like the GPL or Lesser GPL than
> the nazi M$ EULA...

It depends on the non-GPL software that you download with "click and run"