Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SOFTWARE LIBRE! By Nandor Tanczos, Green MP

SOFTWARE LIBRE! By Nandor Tanczos, Green MP

Zaphod

No, Sun opensourced NFS years and years ago.
They opensourced Java before Linux took off.
They opensourced Star Office about 3 years ago.

They've just got a crap marketing department

AD. wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:26:56 +1200, Zaphod wrote:
>

>>Did you know also that Sun Microsystems , a big supporter of open source,

> Hehe, don't you mean "grudgingly reluctant vendor of some open source
> products just because it annoys MS, that still likes to help fund SCO
> lawsuits and attacks open source more often than they praise it"
>

> Cheers
> Anton

steve

Peter Harrison allegedly said:

> SOFTWARE LIBRE! By Nandor Tanczos, Green MP
> Nandor has written an article about use of open source in Government:
> http://www.nzoss.org.nz/portal/modul...rticle&sid=242

Cool.

I wonder how many other MPs of any party know what OSS is?

steve

T-Boy allegedly said:

> In article <WMLbb.3130$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> SOFTWARE LIBRE! By Nandor Tanczos, Green MP
>> Nandor has written an article about use of open source in Government:
>> http://www.nzoss.org.nz/portal/modul...rticle&sid=242

> Great, someone point out that www.greens.co.nz - is *still*
> running on MS IIS...

A Linux server is under development.

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/...w.greens.co.nz

steve

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> "T-Boy" wrote
>> > Nandor

>> Great, someone point out that www.greens.co.nz - is *still*
>> running on MS IIS...

> Looks like he is still a drugged up hippie.

There are people who look...and people who see.

You're only looking.

T-Boy

In article <Qbbcb.3418$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> T-Boy allegedly said:
>
> > In article <WMLbb.3130$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> SOFTWARE LIBRE! By Nandor Tanczos, Green MP
> >> Nandor has written an article about use of open source in Government:
> >> http://www.nzoss.org.nz/portal/modul...rticle&sid=242

> > Great, someone point out that www.greens.co.nz - is *still*
> > running on MS IIS...

> A Linux server is under development.

How long does this normally take?

--
Duncan

steve

T-Boy allegedly said:

> In article <Qbbcb.3418$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> A Linux server is under development.

> How long does this normally take?

All volunteers...and very busy people anyway.
Slowly....so far.

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> > > A Linux server is under development.

> > How long does this normally take?

> Well of course this depends on whether you are setting up a website
> from scratch or whether you are converting an existing complex ASP
> driven website. Also it depends on whether you are being paid to do
> this as a full-time job, or whether it is a purely volunteer effort.

Presumably, you'd know these things. (I didn't see any .ASP
stuff on the site).

Surely then it's just a matter of uploading the pages to an
Apache based server - done!

--
Duncan

T-Boy

In article <nercb.3614$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> T-Boy allegedly said:
>
> > In article <Qbbcb.3418$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> A Linux server is under development.

> > How long does this normally take?

> All volunteers...and very busy people anyway.
> Slowly....so far.

It would seem like a one hour job to me.

--
Duncan