Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Clueless about video

Clueless about video

John Smith

Ok, I know nothing about the solution to the following question (which
is why I'm here). I would like to play a tape on my VCR and have the
sound and video from the RCA connectors (on the back of the VCR) go to
the computer, which stores the data in a usable form, for which I can
edit and join together pieces of video. Then, I'd like to play this
out again from the computer, to the RCA connectors (video in, sound
in) to the VCR so that I can tape it and play when I want to without
having to mess with the computer. Also, of course, the setup will
have to be PAL compatible.

Alternatively, if I can't do that, how about using the RF in/out from
the VCR but of course, since there has to be mod/demodulation, quality
will be poorer.

Apparently, there are "TV capture cards" but will a video card with TV
in and out (or whatever) do instead? Also, what about the editing
software? Would it need to be compressed first, or not?

I'm reasonably technically minded, but since I haven't read any
computer mags for a while, I know nothing about this. If you have any
links to useful pages, that'll be great, too.

Thanks.

John.

Peter

this quote is from John Smith of Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:35 :

> Ok, I know nothing about the solution to the following question (which
> is why I'm here). I would like to play a tape on my VCR and have the
> sound and video from the RCA connectors (on the back of the VCR) go to
> the computer, which stores the data in a usable form, for which I can
> edit and join together pieces of video. Then, I'd like to play this
> out again from the computer, to the RCA connectors (video in, sound
> in) to the VCR so that I can tape it and play when I want to without
> having to mess with the computer.

I've heard Dick Smith sell a TV tuner card that might help with what you
want. Also, you might find this one interesting ...
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pvr/

HTH

Peter

cowboyz

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Ok, I know nothing about the solution to the following question (which
> is why I'm here). I would like to play a tape on my VCR and have the
> sound and video from the RCA connectors (on the back of the VCR) go to
> the computer, which stores the data in a usable form, for which I can
> edit and join together pieces of video. Then, I'd like to play this
> out again from the computer, to the RCA connectors (video in, sound
> in) to the VCR so that I can tape it and play when I want to without
> having to mess with the computer. Also, of course, the setup will
> have to be PAL compatible.
>
> Alternatively, if I can't do that, how about using the RF in/out from
> the VCR but of course, since there has to be mod/demodulation, quality
> will be poorer.
>
> Apparently, there are "TV capture cards" but will a video card with TV
> in and out (or whatever) do instead? Also, what about the editing
> software? Would it need to be compressed first, or not?
>
> I'm reasonably technically minded, but since I haven't read any
> computer mags for a while, I know nothing about this. If you have any
> links to useful pages, that'll be great, too.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John.

I have a GeForce4MX460 with VIVO

It is really quite simple stuff

I have PC>video and video >PC but my sound goes pc>sterio.

I got a gainward which comes with WinCoder and WinProducer. Windcoder will
capture and compress Mpeg2 on the fly and does a pretty good job. I run it
on a XP2100 and can capture 720x576 @25 fps without any frames dropping.