Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Too many Processes running in background

Too many Processes running in background

Kookaburra

I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

Cheers, Kooky

Phillip Weston

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:33:32 +1200, Kookaburra
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
>I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

Uhmm, no.

I have 29 processes running as it is. Computer runs fine. I'd say
20~40 processes is normal.

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

E. Scrooge

"Phillip Weston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:33:32 +1200, Kookaburra
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:
>
> >I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
> >I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

> Uhmm, no.
>
> I have 29 processes running as it is. Computer runs fine. I'd say
> 20~40 processes is normal.
>
> --
> Phillip Weston

Depends on the OS that you're using. XP of course has more things running
than some other OS does.

E. Scrooge

Kookaburra

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:54:19 +1200, Phillip Weston
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:33:32 +1200, Kookaburra
><(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:
>
>>I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
>>I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

>Uhmm, no.
>
>I have 29 processes running as it is. Computer runs fine. I'd say
>20~40 processes is normal.

Thanks Phillip,

I just did a quick check using

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

I managed to cut out another utility and had to recheck 2, I thought
I'd get away without.

Cheers, Kooky

~misfit~

"Kookaburra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
> I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

I'm running XP and have 39 processes running.
--
~misfit~

---

Nicholas Sherlock

Kookaburra wrote:
> I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
> I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

Nothing to worry about. My win2k is running 40 processes and it hums along.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Allistar

Kookaburra wrote:

> I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
> I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?
>

> Cheers, Kooky

ps aux | wc

shows I have 118 processes running, most of which are sleeping.

Allistar.

Kookaburra

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:26:32 +1200, Allistar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Kookaburra wrote:
>
>> I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
>> I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?
>>

>> Cheers, Kooky

>ps aux | wc
>
>shows I have 118 processes running, most of which are sleeping.
>
>Allistar.

Thanks everyone.

Seems I was over reacting although one of the processes was using up
my resources. I think it could have been LoadQM.

Cheers, Kooky

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Kookaburra wrote:
> I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
> I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?
>
> Cheers, Kooky

Nah. Windows systems can run over 50-60 processes just sitting with
no software other than the OS and a few taskbar apps running. I'd
worry if you had 100 running and no resources left, but it seems
its not that bad on your system...

My Linux system has...let me see...currently 76 user processes in
action, and thats fairly normal...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:14:55 +1200, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Nah. Windows systems can run over 50-60 processes just sitting with no
> software other than the OS and a few taskbar apps running. I'd worry if
> you had 100 running and no resources left, but it seems its not that bad
> on your system...

Does windows still crash if more than 255 windows are opened?