Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CC says Telecom should un-bundle the local loop

CC says Telecom should un-bundle the local loop

Chris MAyhew

The Commerce Commission has recommended Telecom open its local loop network
to competitors, in a draft decision released today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3524186

Gordon

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:47:59 +0000, Chris MAyhew wrote:

> The Commerce Commission has recommended Telecom open its local loop network
> to competitors, in a draft decision released today.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3524186

Pity that the people of this country could not own it. Oh, that is right
they once did.

Some things, such as health, are common to all people, and thus the people
should own them. Roads is another example.

--
Gordon

Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

Mainlander

says...
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:47:59 +0000, Chris MAyhew wrote:
>
> > The Commerce Commission has recommended Telecom open its local loop network
> > to competitors, in a draft decision released today.
> >
> > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3524186

> Pity that the people of this country could not own it. Oh, that is right
> they once did.
>
> Some things, such as health, are common to all people, and thus the people
> should own them. Roads is another example.

When is the state seting up its own supermarket, oh that's right they
never did.

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Chris MAyhew wrote:

> The Commerce Commission has recommended Telecom open its local loop network
> to competitors, in a draft decision released today.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3524186

Surely you would like something better then what can be delivered over old
copper? I know that the prospect of 1.2 megabit doesnt really excite me too much
over the 128k that I get out of it at the moment.

I dont really want to see telecoms loop unbundled myself, I would prefer
something better.

Perhaps those lucky enough to live close to the exchange are going to be
satisfied with adsl speeds tho.

PJ

"Chris MAyhew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> The Commerce Commission has recommended Telecom open its local loop

network
> to competitors, in a draft decision released today.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3524186

yeah, with any luck, we should have LLU in around a year or so.
The final recommendation will be completed in December, add another 6 - 9
months for the goverment to vote on, and add another 6 - 9 months for
Telecom to take the goverment to court as an attempt to slow down the
process.
If all go as planned, cheap broadband (ADSL) should start to roll by
Christmas '04

Pete.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:29:14 +1200, Gordon wrote:

> Pity that the people of this country could not own it. Oh, that is right
> they once did.

When it was sold, the govt never envisaged a monopolistic gorilla, nor did
it envisage the possibilty of local loop competition.

Very little of the local loop has been upgraded since 1988, basically only
stuff which has rotted out or required new lines.

steve

Gordon wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:47:59 +0000, Chris MAyhew wrote:
>

>>The Commerce Commission has recommended Telecom open its local loop network
>>to competitors, in a draft decision released today.
>>
>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3524186

> Pity that the people of this country could not own it. Oh, that is right
> they once did.
>
> Some things, such as health, are common to all people, and thus the people
> should own them. Roads is another example.

I don't have any problem with Telecom being privately owned, provided
they (and others) are actively regulated.

Their desire for profit very often conflicts with what is in the public
interest. An active regulatory regime can arrive at a compromise.

It works better when you don't have other countries trying to impose
their values and ideas on you, but that is what governments are there
for: to administer the country the way its citizens want it to be
administered, according to their values.

Gavin Tunney

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:47:59 GMT, Chris MAyhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The Commerce Commission has recommended Telecom open its local loop network
>to competitors, in a draft decision released today.
>
>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3524186

I really can't see it making any difference. It's a nice thought that
we'd have unbridled competition & cheaper prices etc if the copper &
exchanges were open slather, but history doesn't support it.

Only have to look at mobile phones to see that hobbling Telecom will
only result in more of our dosh heading overseas to the likes of
Telstra. We've got supposed competition there & look how much mobile
calls cost compared to landline calls....if prevailing theory about
competition was correct then mobiles would be cheaper.

Unless they can come up with a way for small players to enter the
market, like what happened with the ISP market, then unbundling the
loop will just let Telstra get bigger at the expense of Telecom IMO.
The big guys are interested only in a bigger slice of the pie, they
don't really want to compete on price.

I don't like the existing situation, but if it came down to a choice
between being stitched up by multinational telcos or stitched up by
our own monopoly.... I'd take the latter. Telecom may be a burglar,
but at least they're our burglar... well partly anyway

Gavin

Bryan Souster

"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkbl20$f7p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris MAyhew wrote:
>
> > The Commerce Commission has recommended Telecom open its local loop

network
> > to competitors, in a draft decision released today.
> >
> > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3524186

> Surely you would like something better then what can be delivered over old
> copper? I know that the prospect of 1.2 megabit doesnt really excite me

too much
> over the 128k that I get out of it at the moment.
>
> I dont really want to see telecoms loop unbundled myself, I would prefer
> something better.
>
> Perhaps those lucky enough to live close to the exchange are going to be
> satisfied with adsl speeds tho.

Richard what we have today is the result of Telecom owning the 'local loop'.
Apart from Saturn (now part of TelstraClear) there has been no attempt by
anyone to produce an alternative service to residential customers (the mass
market within the 'local loop') and many businesses are also similarly
affected. The clear message is that duplicating the Telecom 'local loop' to
deliver a competitively priced (or even premium) service is not viable.
Telecom bought the entire network as a going concern rather than paying for
its construction at today's prices.

Therefore if you want a phone service nearly all of us need to contact
Telecom. Once connected we have some non-Telecom options.

My understanding of 'unbundling the local loop' is that this allows other
Telco's to offer a full service. For example, TelstraClear or Ihug or
whomever could offer a service direct to every consumer provided they can do
a deal with Telecom over the 'last mile' of cable to a consumer. The
consumer never deals with Telecom but they still own the cable into the
house/business.

Is this correct?

Wyn

pete wrote:
> "Bryan Souster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bkbl20$f7p$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Surely you would like something better then what can be delivered
>>> over old copper? I know that the prospect of 1.2 megabit doesnt
>>> really excite me too much over the 128k that I get out of it at the
>>> moment.
>>>
>>> I dont really want to see telecoms loop unbundled myself, I would
>>> prefer something better.
>>>
>>> Perhaps those lucky enough to live close to the exchange are going
>>> to be satisfied with adsl speeds tho.
>>>

>> Richard what we have today is the result of Telecom owning the
>> 'local loop'. Apart from Saturn (now part of TelstraClear) there has
>> been no attempt by anyone to produce an alternative service to
>> residential customers (the mass market within the 'local loop') and
>> many businesses are also similarly affected. The clear message is
>> that duplicating the Telecom 'local loop' to deliver a competitively
>> priced (or even premium) service is not viable. Telecom bought the
>> entire network as a going concern rather than paying for its
>> construction at today's prices.
>>
>> Therefore if you want a phone service nearly all of us need to
>> contact Telecom. Once connected we have some non-Telecom options.
>>
>> My understanding of 'unbundling the local loop' is that this allows
>> other Telco's to offer a full service. For example, TelstraClear or
>> Ihug or whomever could offer a service direct to every consumer
>> provided they can do a deal with Telecom over the 'last mile' of
>> cable to a consumer. The consumer never deals with Telecom but they
>> still own the cable into the house/business.
>>
>> Is this correct?

> Sounds just like the electricity "reforms". Remember how that was
> supposed to enable customers to switch suppliers at will and shop
> around for the best deal.
> I have switched once in that time - and have been sold (as a
> customer) at least three times.

Yup, and just think of this: You (and the rest of us) are now paying for
the privilege of having been bought - after all, how else would they pay
back all the money that they had to borrow in order to buy you?

Wyn