Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Free news server?

Re: Free news server?

Nick Thomas

Phillip Weston wrote:
> Hi, is there any free usenet server to use seeing as QSI's usenet
> server is really ****ing me off? I don't need binaries etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Phil

How about news.readfreenews.net

34237 groups with good complettion - occasionally flaky to connect to.

Otako

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 at 11:02 GMT, Nick wrote:

> Phillip Weston wrote:
>> Hi, is there any free usenet server to use seeing as QSI's usenet
>> server is really ****ing me off? I don't need binaries etc.

> How about news.readfreenews.net
>
> 34237 groups with good complettion - occasionally flaky to connect to.

Phil,

I have found that selecting a free news server from the Path: header
field of a frequent poster to a group is probably easier than
trying recommended free news servers from a webpage.

Try finding message from a frequent poster to the group from the
quicksilvers news server first, that way you will get the full Path:
field displayed in your newsreader.

Unfortunately using http://www.google.co.nz/groups will only display
the Reference: field which is not as complete as the Path:

Try finding a free newsserver url from the Path:, news server
names are followed by a !.

For example

gig+anews.com!border3.nntp.aus1.giganews.com!nntp. giganews.com!newsfeed.cwix.
com!ne+wsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!newsfeed .freenet.de!fu-berlin.de!

the domainname newsfeed.freenet.de news server address is news.freenet.de
A google search may be useful for finding a news servers address but in this
case I managed to find it by just by entering the name into my news reader
and downloading the groups. If the name dosn't exist you will just get a
"permission denied" response.

use alt.test to verify that a server will accept posting.

hth,
keith.