Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Latest Net4U Saga

Latest Net4U Saga

chillin

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

A 14-year-old hacker put 895 customer records of Hamilton internet provider
Net4U on the web in an act of spite.

The information included the names, addresses and telephone numbers, as well
as email addresses, passwords and customers' credit card numbers with expiry
dates.

-------

I just got a call from my bank telling me my details were among those and
they have cancelled my credit card and are re-issusing a new one. Anyone
know the website in question?

T.N.O.

"chillin" wrote

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

> A 14-year-old hacker put 895 customer records of Hamilton internet

provider
> Net4U on the web in an act of spite.

Oh dear...

> I just got a call from my bank telling me my details were among those and
> they have cancelled my credit card and are re-issusing a new one. Anyone
> know the website in question?

The orcon one was downed AFAIK... dont know about the yank one though.

asdf

google's cach?!
"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bk89cp$q64ft$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "chillin" wrote

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

> > A 14-year-old hacker put 895 customer records of Hamilton internet

> provider
> > Net4U on the web in an act of spite.

> Oh dear...
>
> > I just got a call from my bank telling me my details were among those

and
> > they have cancelled my credit card and are re-issusing a new one. Anyone
> > know the website in question?

> The orcon one was downed AFAIK... dont know about the yank one though.

Matthew Poole

In article <zAR9b.150158$(E-Mail Removed)>, "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>google's cach?!

*SNIP*

They will pull it if you ask them to and there's a good reason - Credit
card numbers are a very good reason.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

PJ

news:3f6826c6$(E-Mail Removed)...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...section=techno
> logy&thesubsection=general
>
> Although this is unfortunate, the data is from March, when the employee

left
> the company and took a dump of the database with him.

So, this "hacker" is no hacker, he's just an idiot who stole data from a
company and violated cusomter's privacy.
This idiot should be treated like any other idiot and be punished
accordingly me think.

paulsy

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:19:57 +1200, "voy1d" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"chillin" wrote in message
>>

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...section=techno
>logy&thesubsection=general
>
>Although this is unfortunate, the data is from March, when the employee left
>the company and took a dump of the database with him.

Yet another case of bad reporting by the media?

Robyn Nunn

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:23:31 +1200, "PJ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"voy1d" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:3f6826c6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "chillin" wrote in message
>> >

>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...section=techno
>> logy&thesubsection=general
>>
>> Although this is unfortunate, the data is from March, when the employee

>left
>> the company and took a dump of the database with him.
>>

>So, this "hacker" is no hacker, he's just an idiot who stole data from a
>company and violated cusomter's privacy.
>This idiot should be treated like any other idiot and be punished
>accordingly me think.

What respectable firm will hire a 14 year old and allow him access to
important data like that?

PJ

"Robyn Nunn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:23:31 +1200, "PJ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> >So, this "hacker" is no hacker, he's just an idiot who stole data from a
> >company and violated cusomter's privacy.
> >This idiot should be treated like any other idiot and be punished
> >accordingly me think.

> What respectable firm will hire a 14 year old and allow him access to
> important data like that?

That is so true.
but then again, theowner of net4u is only was only 16 years old?? when he
started up the compnay.
Still, no excuse for such act.

Pete.

Uncle StoatWarbler

Speaking of net4u, I've been told the following:

"Sahil has gone to the ground. Mobiles have been cancelled and nobody
answers the phone. "

Apparently even the auditor is unhappy.

The new owner of Net4u is Anshul Gupta. Daddy bailing things out perhaps?

As for the 14 year old, he's been named in the past. Think of the Herald
stories on the 14yo spammer who was working at net4u, etc.

OT: The Saga Continues... [and wait, there's MORE] PC LOAD LETTER MCSE 22 01-24-2006 08:32 PM
Saga radio Bigbri Computer Support 2 08-28-2004 09:14 PM
Continuing saga! Harry Computer Support 7 08-12-2004 07:12 AM
The DMZ and the PIX515e saga Mick Cisco 1 07-03-2004 06:30 PM
AP350 radio saga (interface up/down) Al Blake Cisco 0 04-15-2004 09:08 PM

Advertisments