Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Adding software from the CD

Adding software from the CD

Sonn

From time to time I need to install extra bits and pieces of software from
CD for software I'm running. Office is one example, XP would be another.

When the installation searches my computer and declares it can't find what
it's looking for, please insert the CD it then can't find the file it needs
on the CD. How do I get around this? I have three CD drives, so if I tell
it where to browse, it's needs more than just a CD drive. All I have is a
list of directories, and no idea where to go from there. The installation
browse doesn't seem very functional if it needs *me* to tell it where to go,
and I have no idea what it's looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
S.

---

Peter

this quote is from Sonn of Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:27 :
> From time to time I need to install extra bits and pieces of software from
> CD for software I'm running. Office is one example, XP would be another.
>
> When the installation searches my computer and declares it can't find what
> it's looking for, please insert the CD it then can't find the file it
> needs
> on the CD. How do I get around this? I have three CD drives, so if I
> tell
> it where to browse, it's needs more than just a CD drive. All I have is a
> list of directories, and no idea where to go from there. The installation
> browse doesn't seem very functional if it needs *me* to tell it where to
> go,
> and I have no idea what it's looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

I had a very similar symptoms a couple of years ago, Win98 asked for the
install CD but couldn't find the files it wanted when I put it in the
drive. Eventually, I found the files were in .cab files on the CD, and
that they can be extracted using a command line tool (called extract ?) and
then copied to the appropriate Windows directory.

Sorry this is vague, but it was a couple of years ago (and I've moved all my
home stuff off Windows since then).

HTH

Peter

Terry Robb

With Office (assuming version 2000), it's best to install as a customized
install, then select ALL portions of Office. This negates having to re
insert CD. The default install selects portions as "Install on first use",
which means inserting CD when an option is used for the first time.

When the Office installation does ask for the CD, it must be the same
version as was installed, i.e. Standard, Premium, or Professional. Generally
it will ask for a particular MSI file, i.e. DATA1PRO.MSI is the Professional
one.

Terry...

Sonn

"Terry Robb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YiO9b.149996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> With Office (assuming version 2000), it's best to install as a customized
> install, then select ALL portions of Office. This negates having to re
> insert CD. The default install selects portions as "Install on first use",
> which means inserting CD when an option is used for the first time.
>
> When the Office installation does ask for the CD, it must be the same
> version as was installed, i.e. Standard, Premium, or Professional.

Generally
> it will ask for a particular MSI file, i.e. DATA1PRO.MSI is the

Professional
> one.
>
> Terry...

Thanks. I think it's getting confused because I may use differenct drives
from one installation to the next. Yeah, I usually install the works, but
someone I email documents to regularly now uses a Mac, with software that
doesn't understanding *anything* I send to him ... so need to install a
whole heap of filters now! (Which aren't working by the way - particularly
Excel spreadsheets - if anyone has any ideas on that one, please don't hold
back, but maybe I should just let the person with the new Mac sort it out).
S.

---

Peter

this quote is from Sonn of Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:47 :

> someone I email documents to regularly now uses a Mac, with software that
> doesn't understanding *anything* I send to him ... so need to install a
> whole heap of filters now! (Which aren't working by the way -
> particularly Excel spreadsheets - if anyone has any ideas on that one,
> please don't hold back, but maybe I should just let the person with the
> new Mac sort it out). S.

OpenOffice is an office suite available for Mac, Windows, Linux and Solaris.
It is free to download and (in my experience) does a fine job of opening MS
Office .xls, .ppt and .doc format files.
www.openoffice.org

HTH

Peter