Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How hard would it be for Jetstart ISPs to...

How hard would it be for Jetstart ISPs to...

Evil Bastard

How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
international traffic?

It'd be great to surf/download/etc within NZ at full speed.

E. Scrooge

"Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
newsan.2003.09.15.00.06.30.240482@127.0.0.1...
> How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
> remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
> international traffic?
>
> It'd be great to surf/download/etc within NZ at full speed.

Where would all the extra money be for Telecon by doing that?

E. Scrooge

max

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:06:30 +1200, Evil Bastard
<postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
>remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
>international traffic?
>
>It'd be great to surf/download/etc within NZ at full speed.

They did used to do this, and it was on this page
http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5803,00.html, because I bookmarked
it, but they seem to have changed the goalposts again.

steve

Evil Bastard wrote:
> How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
> remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
> international traffic?
>
> It'd be great to surf/download/etc within NZ at full speed.

Telecom bill the traffic, don't they, through the phone bill?

Bruce Simpson

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:41:06 +1200, max <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:06:30 +1200, Evil Bastard
><postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
>>remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
>>international traffic?
>>
>>It'd be great to surf/download/etc within NZ at full speed.
>>

>They did used to do this, and it was on this page
>http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5803,00.html, because I bookmarked
>it, but they seem to have changed the goalposts again.

As far as I'm aware, they still don't count local traffic against your
5GB cap on Xtra's JetStream Starter offering.

m00se

Evil Bastard wrote:
> How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
> remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
> international traffic?

Telecom side, dont know.

ISP side, Harder than most people realise.

In the case of an ISP taking a single feed for both national and
international connectivity, bordering on impossible to do with any real
accuracy.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:59:31 +1200, m00se wrote:

> Evil Bastard wrote:
>> How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
>> remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
>> international traffic?
>>

> Telecom side, dont know.
>

> ISP side, Harder than most people realise.
>
> In the case of an ISP taking a single feed for both national and
> international connectivity, bordering on impossible to do with any real
> accuracy.

What about tracerouting the peer, and determining its country of location?

T.N.O.

"Evil Bastard" wrote
> > ISP side, Harder than most people realise.
> >
> > In the case of an ISP taking a single feed for both national and
> > international connectivity, bordering on impossible to do with any real
> > accuracy.

> What about tracerouting the peer, and determining its country of location?

For each connection, and each request... surely that would generate a large
amount of traffic...

Rider

"Bruce Simpson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:41:06 +1200, max <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:06:30 +1200, Evil Bastard
> ><postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> >
> >>How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
> >>remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
> >>international traffic?
> >>
> >>It'd be great to surf/download/etc within NZ at full speed.
> >>

> >They did used to do this, and it was on this page
> >http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5803,00.html, because I bookmarked
> >it, but they seem to have changed the goalposts again.

> As far as I'm aware, they still don't count local traffic against your
> 5GB cap on Xtra's JetStream Starter offering.

Not the data cap, he means the speed cap so instead of 128kb you get full
rate adsl for local traffic. Sane as they do if you logon to jetstream games
using the logon provided.

AD.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:06:30 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

> How hard would it be for Telecom and the Jetstart ISPs to
> remove the bandwidth cap for national traffic, but keep it for
> international traffic?

Paradise already has differential charging for National/International
traffic on Jetstart, so it should be possible. How 'hard' it is though, I
wouldn't know.

My work has a Citylink connection and our ISP (DTS) has free national
traffic.

Cheers
Anton

jetstart ISP's tim NZ Computing 8 09-01-2003 11:56 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Alastair Johnson NZ Computing 3 07-12-2003 07:26 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Nick NZ Computing 4 07-11-2003 10:09 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Peter NZ Computing 1 07-09-2003 07:55 AM

Advertisments