Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telstra Moves to Open Source / Linux

Telstra Moves to Open Source / Linux

Olson Johnson

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:57:35 +1200, Who is this wrote:

>> > How ?
>> > The massive majority of people we collaborate with use MS Word / Excel /
>> > powerpoint. We need Chemdraw, Equation editor, endnote, etc too and
>> > these tools work with Office on the Mac and PC.

>> Sure, you have more reason to use MS Office than most users.
>> Theres no reason why you shouldn't also use OpenOffice wherever it is
>> appropriate, particularly for its pdf feature.

> Yes there is.
> 1. I work in a mixed enviroment, about 1/2 the users actually use macs
> 2. They must be able to swap files between these platforms and other
> users seamlessly
> 3. We use adobe acrobat if needed to generate PDFs because it does the
> best job, 3rd party PDF creating tools have through experiance sucked
> for complex documents, they either screw it up, create ugly documents,
> or are grossly bloated documents.
> 4. Since we are obligated to use MS Office because of 1,2, and 3 why on
> earth should the users be expected to then use another package.

Use it if its useful to you, you don't have to.
You don't appear to understand the PDF process by the way
You use FreeBSD and GNU on your Macs.

>> Its free, theres all sorts of third party addons being added by all sorts
>> of users for their particular needs.
>> I don't get it with people who have a mindset of Oh I have a Mac so I
>> can't use a PC or I have Windows so I can't use Linux or I have Office so
>> I can't use Openoffice. Its stupid.

> NO, it is the free software people who are equally stupid. The most
> expensive part of the computer is not the software or the hardware, it
> is the user sitting at the keyboard. I am working with people who are
> earning $30-$100/hour!, that does not always make them overly computer
> literate. The cost of the software over a 3 year period is negligible
> because if I can save the users 4 hours a YEAR, ie less than a minute
> per day, by being slightly more productive then we have won financially.
> THAT and only that is our consideration. I am investigating spending
> $20-30,000 on an Apple X-Serve and X-Raid so that I can instigate full
> roving profiles, that is only $300 per user, and again is easily written
> off over 1 year in productivity increases as well as data security. Oh
> yes Macs, PCs,Linux, SGI,Sun can all connect and work well with it, it
> is not a win2K hack and it is a damn sight easier to admin than any
> linux box.

And it will be running on FreeBSD and GNU GPL software using GPL Samba and
apache etc provided by those oh so "stupid" free software people.
You have no idea what is easier or harder to admin about that box than one
running a Linux kernel instead of the FreeBSD kernel.
You are just obsessed with the logo.

>> I've got all the proprietary software I need, and its very nice. I
>> want to get good at using Linux and free software as well, theres always
>> stuff that will come in useful.

> Well I work in an area where productivity is a requirement, the less
> time I have to help them the better it is for both them and myself as I
> have other jobs much more interesting than computer support (in fact I
> am off to new York in 2 days for 5 weeks as part of that job).

They use free software in New York too, but apart from that I can't see
why this is relevant information.
Perhaps you are trying too hard to impress.
University staff bludging off the taxpayers for US junkets can hardly be
called productive.

Olson Johnson

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:57:35 +1200, Who is this wrote:
I am investigating spending
> $20-30,000 on an Apple X-Serve and X-Raid so that I can instigate full
> roving profiles, that is only $300 per user, and again is easily written
> off over 1 year in productivity increases as well as data security. Oh
> yes Macs, PCs,Linux, SGI,Sun can all connect and work well with it, it
> is not a win2K hack and it is a damn sight easier to admin than any
> linux box.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/fileprint.html

Its free open source software at the heart of this box.
Apple is quite proud of promoting that fact.
Samba, CUPS, why re-invent the wheel ?

On OpenOffice, the REAL Macintosh fans are porting it to MacOSX
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

AD.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:01:18 +1200, Olson Johnson wrote:

> And it will be running on FreeBSD and GNU GPL software using GPL Samba
> and apache etc provided by those oh so "stupid" free software people.
> You have no idea what is easier or harder to admin about that box than
> one running a Linux kernel instead of the FreeBSD kernel. You are just
> obsessed with the logo.

From what I've seen and heard, the XServe is significantly easier to admin
than standard BSD/Linux systems. Bear in mind that I'm talking about
"barely scraped through the MCSE boot camp" easier, not "this morning I
hacked together a single-sign-on kerberos/ldap/NTLM/PAM system in perl"
easier.

I am a huge Debian, Apache, JBoss etc fan but I must say the new Panther
server is looking very tempting (we can't afford the cost yet though). I'm
no Mac zealot either, my only Mac experience is about 2 hours fiddling on
my gfs iMac.

Cheers
Anton

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:51:24 +1200, Lennier wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:28:07 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
>
>>> PDF usually does not rely on fonts etc on the destination system.

>> uh... it does if you're not sending bitmaps (and if you're doing that you
>> may as well send .gifs.)

> No - you can embed the fonts within the PDF document - either full
> fontsets or partial fontsets - depending on the creator of the particular
> font concerned.

Ah, so all those _SCANNED_ documents I see regularly in PDF format with
handwritten notes, stamps and other stuff all over them are in fact done
with embedded fonts?

My, I've been so unobservant all these years...

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:33:09 +1200, Lennier wrote:

> Word Documents turn out to be very large indeed.

They get surprisingly small when you cull the revisions out before saving
them...

.... but it doesn't make the format any less proprietary.

Lennier

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:58:43 +1200, Who is this wrote:

> The No, AFAIK Macs have more users than linux and Mac user numbers are
> growing.

Are you counting all those persons who use Linux based servers?

Lennier

Lennier

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:57:35 +1200, Who is this wrote:

> Since we are obligated to use MS Office

You are NOT "obligated" to use M$ Office.

Your organisation can use whatever software packages it chooses.

If *you* choose to use OO, and others want to interact with you, then
they too should install and use OO.

Lennier

Lennier

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:17:56 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

> Ah, so all those _SCANNED_ documents I see regularly in PDF format with
> handwritten notes, stamps and other stuff all over them are in fact done
> with embedded fonts?
>
> My, I've been so unobservant all these years.

You're talking about a different type of PDF document.

You're talking about PDF documents with large embedded JPG graphics.

I was talking about PDF documents with minimal graphics and mostly text.

Lennier

Peter

this quote is from T.N.O. of Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:03 :

> "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
>> They get surprisingly small when you cull the revisions out before saving
>> them...

> How do you do that... would like that quite a bit

File > Save As
to a different file name. This appears to get rid of most of the "deleted"
and previous authors type info out of .doc files.

Peter

bt

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:38:51 +1200, "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>my only Mac experience is about 2 hours fiddling on
>my gfs iMac.

Is that what the kids call it nowdays ? Filthy bugger

Brendan (Avatar)

--

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.