Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Woooooooooosh

Re: Woooooooooosh

Bruce Simpson

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:01:43 +1200, "PJ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hey Group,
>
>I'm sure by now we all heard of the new woosh wireless service. And after
>reading various articles today, I'm still puzzled by the statements below.
><quote from computerworld>
>"We'll take a median usage level and set the bar at about 10 times that
>level. If you're consistently over that we'll be in touch to see if you
>aren't better suited to a different plan." Smith says it will be a "customer
>service" contact rather than an "unpleasant experience"
></quote from computerworld>

Uh-oh, this sounds just like the blurb that was spouted for speed
cameras when they were introduced -- something about only ticketing
those who exceeded the median speed by so many percent.

And look now -- they're dropping the trigger level for speed camera
tickets to just 5Kph over the posted limit -- that's pretty bad when
you consider that (from memory) your car's speedo only has to be
accurate to 10% in order to be legal.

So, if you pick up your brand new car (with tires that will be larger
than "average" because they're unworn -- and a speedo that, partially
as a result of the larger tires, reads 8% slow) then you might well
get a speed camera ticket for doing 108Kph in a 100Kph area, even
though your speedo said 99Kph.

And they say it's not an attempt to introduce a new tax???

Bah!

T.N.O.

"Bruce Simpson" wrote
> And look now -- they're dropping the trigger level for speed camera
> tickets to just 5Kph over the posted limit -- that's pretty bad when
> you consider that (from memory) your car's speedo only has to be
> accurate to 10% in order to be legal.

50km/h + 10% is 55km/h... right on the ticketing level, your problem if you
get a ticket.

> So, if you pick up your brand new car (with tires that will be larger
> than "average" because they're unworn -- and a speedo that, partially
> as a result of the larger tires, reads 8% slow) then you might well
> get a speed camera ticket for doing 108Kph in a 100Kph area, even
> though your speedo said 99Kph.

Take it to court and argue it then, if this is the case then you are not at
fault.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:05:16 +1200, Bruce Simpson wrote:

> And look now -- they're dropping the trigger level for speed camera
> tickets to just 5Kph over the posted limit -- that's pretty bad when you
> consider that (from memory) your car's speedo only has to be accurate to
> 10% in order to be legal.

The variation in indicated speed is around 3.5% from new tyres (6-8mm
tread depth is usual) to 1.5mm tread depth, thanks to the change in
rolling circumference on 15 or 16 inch wheels (wheels are still specified
in inches, but width and sidewalls are in mm - 175/65HR15 for eample)

5km/h is getting perilously close to that at 100km/h

armpit

> And they say it's not an attempt to introduce a new tax???
>
> Bah!
>
> --
> you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/

Politics in the politics group please

Bruce Simpson

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:14:36 +1200, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bruce Simpson" wrote
>> And look now -- they're dropping the trigger level for speed camera
>> tickets to just 5Kph over the posted limit -- that's pretty bad when
>> you consider that (from memory) your car's speedo only has to be
>> accurate to 10% in order to be legal.

>50km/h + 10% is 55km/h... right on the ticketing level, your problem if you
>get a ticket.

But at 100km/h 10% is???

T.N.O.

"Bruce Simpson" wrote
> >50km/h + 10% is 55km/h... right on the ticketing level, your problem if

you
> >get a ticket.

> But at 100km/h 10% is???

hmmm, point taken.

Malcolm Moore

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:43:36 +1200, Bruce Simpson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:14:36 +1200, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce Simpson" wrote
>>> And look now -- they're dropping the trigger level for speed camera
>>> tickets to just 5Kph over the posted limit -- that's pretty bad when
>>> you consider that (from memory) your car's speedo only has to be
>>> accurate to 10% in order to be legal.

>>50km/h + 10% is 55km/h... right on the ticketing level, your problem if you
>>get a ticket.

>But at 100km/h 10% is???

Does your memory have a source for the 10% figure.

The Traffic Regulations 1976 merely state:

72.Speedometer
(1)No person shall operate a motor vehicle (other than a trailer or a
[moped]) capable of a speed in excess of 50 kilometres an hour, unless
it is fitted with an efficient speedometer in working order and
operating at all times while the vehicle is moving in a forward
direction:

I guess it can be argued that if it is less accurate than the
current trigger then it is not efficient.

Regards
Malcolm.

T.N.O.

"Malcolm Moore" wrote
> The Traffic Regulations 1976 merely state:
> 72.Speedometer
> (1)No person shall operate a motor vehicle (other than a trailer or a
> [moped]) capable of a speed in excess of 50 kilometres an hour, unless
> it is fitted with an efficient speedometer in working order and
> operating at all times while the vehicle is moving in a forward
> direction:

How is one meant to know if they are travelling over 50km/h if they have no
speedo?

Bret

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:42:13 +1200, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Malcolm Moore" wrote
>> The Traffic Regulations 1976 merely state:
>> 72.Speedometer
>> (1)No person shall operate a motor vehicle (other than a trailer or a
>> [moped]) capable of a speed in excess of 50 kilometres an hour, unless
>> it is fitted with an efficient speedometer in working order and
>> operating at all times while the vehicle is moving in a forward
>> direction:

>How is one meant to know if they are travelling over 50km/h if they have no
>speedo?

Because the qualifier for no speedo is: not capable of a speed in
excess of 50 kilometres an hour.
Just be carefull going downhill with the wind at your back

T.N.O.

"Bret" wrote
> >How is one meant to know if they are travelling over 50km/h if they have

no
> >speedo?
> >

> Because the qualifier for no speedo is: not capable of a speed in
> excess of 50 kilometres an hour.
> Just be carefull going downhill with the wind at your back

ahhh, I see... there goes that idea(unplugging the speedo and sticking to
50km/h areas... dihonestly keepiong the milage down