Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Samba PDC question

Samba PDC question

Dany P. Wu

Hi everyone,

I used to have two XP Pro machines networked together behind a linux
firewall. The two machines existed in a workgroup sharing directories and a
printer.

Today I managed to get a RedHat 9 machine to run as a Samba PDC and the two
XP machines joined the domain, sharing a various folders on the Samba server
and all is well..........................or so it seems!

I was completely wrong on that since the two XP machines can no longer share
folders or printers between themselves! For some reason everytime I want to
see what folders are shared on one XP machine from the other I was asked for
a login and password! What has happened here? I could not login since every
name I type in is automaticallyPlease excuse my rudimentary understanding of
networking but I thought, being on the same domain, the two XP machines
should behave just like before since they're just domain members, not
controllers.

Can someone please help me with this? Any hints or suggestions would be
immensely appreciated!

Cheers,
Dany.

TEX

The domain hold the permissions for access to the two computers.
Workgroup means shared access and thus you only need an account that is
available on both computers.

TEX

Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I used to have two XP Pro machines networked together behind a linux
> firewall. The two machines existed in a workgroup sharing directories and a
> printer.
>
> Today I managed to get a RedHat 9 machine to run as a Samba PDC and the two
> XP machines joined the domain, sharing a various folders on the Samba server
> and all is well..........................or so it seems!
>
> I was completely wrong on that since the two XP machines can no longer share
> folders or printers between themselves! For some reason everytime I want to
> see what folders are shared on one XP machine from the other I was asked for
> a login and password! What has happened here? I could not login since every
> name I type in is automaticallyPlease excuse my rudimentary understanding of
> networking but I thought, being on the same domain, the two XP machines
> should behave just like before since they're just domain members, not
> controllers.
>
> Can someone please help me with this? Any hints or suggestions would be
> immensely appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Dany P. Wu

"TEX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f5faacb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The domain hold the permissions for access to the two computers.
> Workgroup means shared access and thus you only need an account that is
> available on both computers.

Ok, I'm not sure if my understanding was the problem in the first place. I
think there's something fishy going on with RedHat 9's Samba 2.2.7.

One machine can log on to the domain just fine, while the other machine is
having problems. The problematic machine can *join* the domain, but when it
comes to logging on, it claims there is no computer account on the
controller. If I understand this correctly there must be a valid machine
account on the controller for this machine to join the domain in the first
place!

ARRGGHH!! This is getting incredibly frustrating! Has anyone succesfully run
a RH 9 machine as a Samba PDC? Any help anyone? please?

D.

Invisible

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:47:01 +1200, "Dany P. Wu"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"TEX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f5faacb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The domain hold the permissions for access to the two computers.
>> Workgroup means shared access and thus you only need an account that is
>> available on both computers.

>Ok, I'm not sure if my understanding was the problem in the first place. I
>think there's something fishy going on with RedHat 9's Samba 2.2.7.
>
>One machine can log on to the domain just fine, while the other machine is
>having problems. The problematic machine can *join* the domain, but when it
>comes to logging on, it claims there is no computer account on the
>controller. If I understand this correctly there must be a valid machine
>account on the controller for this machine to join the domain in the first
>place!
>
>ARRGGHH!! This is getting incredibly frustrating! Has anyone succesfully run
>a RH 9 machine as a Samba PDC? Any help anyone? please?
>
>D.

I had to do a reg hack to get XP pro to logon to an SME samba PDC. Search the
boards at e-smith.org.

Pretty sure this did the trick:

http://www.e-smith.org/bboard/read.p...=26785&t=26777

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:47:01 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> ARRGGHH!! This is getting incredibly frustrating! Has anyone succesfully run
> a RH 9 machine as a Samba PDC? Any help anyone? please?

the slave box must be in the samba passord file as a machine, as well as
the individual users using it.

This is all covered in the fine manual.

$hint: smbpasswd -a, smbpasswd -m

Dany P. Wu

"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:47:01 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:
>
> > ARRGGHH!! This is getting incredibly frustrating! Has anyone succesfully

run
> > a RH 9 machine as a Samba PDC? Any help anyone? please?

> the slave box must be in the samba passord file as a machine, as well as
> the individual users using it.
>
> This is all covered in the fine manual.

Thanks, and I fixed most of the problems through reading the fine manual!
Unfortunately all the problems arose from using various GUI configurators
for smb.conf. In the end a simple text editor won the day.

I have plenty other problems with Samba at the moment but that's another

Breaking off the PDC to become a PDC. Please Help! chary MCSE 0 08-29-2008 04:04 PM
Samba PDC and PIX Firewall Mirek Cisco 0 02-19-2004 02:25 PM
Logging on a Samba PDC over Cisco Router Raffi Cisco 4 02-06-2004 07:35 PM
PDC 2004 buzz bonner Microsoft Certification 1 01-26-2004 03:39 PM
Whidbey Installation Question ( PDC version ) Elrey Ronald V. ASP .Net 4 12-11-2003 05:54 PM

Advertisments