Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra email - Who's having probs?

Xtra email - Who's having probs?

Gavin Tunney

Typical cryptic & uninformative message on their help page...

Issue: Receiving Email
Period: Intermittent

Their email has been totally down for me since early yesterday
evening....hardly what one could call intermittent. Just wondering if
this was NZ wide or localised, has anyone been getting their mail ok?

Gavin

T.N.O.

"Gavin Tunney" wrote
> Typical cryptic & uninformative message on their help page...
> Issue: Receiving Email
> Period: Intermittent

At least the information is there...

> Their email has been totally down for me since early yesterday
> evening....hardly what one could call intermittent.

It may only effect certain groups of users, a-g or something, you never
know.

> Just wondering if
> this was NZ wide or localised, has anyone been getting their mail ok?

My mum is getting her work email, and it is through Xtra, so some are.

Gavin Tunney

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:09:36 +1200, "WriteWord Translations"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm in the eastern suburbs of Wellington, and I've hardly got any e-mail at
>all since yesterday evening, same as Gavin.
>
>In the mornings I can usually expect anywhere from 20 to 50 messages (a lot
>of that being spam). Today there was one!
>
>I just rang up their Help Desk for the status message, and they do
>acknowledge there's a problem - something to the effect of "Currently some
>customers may be experiencing delays in receiving e-mails. Technicians are
>working on this problem and we hope to have it resolved as soon as
>possible".

I just got my first four emails, all spam. Interesting the first one
was received by my domain hoster at 11:23 yesterday, it sat their
queued until Xtra's mail server finally accepted it at 4:26 yesterday
& I get it at 1pm today. 25 1/2 hours for an email.....

>Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. This is the most prolonged
>outage for quite some time.

Aye, it is....unusual even for Xtra. Wonder what the problem is, I've
heard Xtra aren't the only ones having troubles.

Gavin

Adam Banks

Hmm ... I'm with Maxnet and am also experiencing problems. Basically,
nothing from outside NZ seems to be coming through.

Could this be some sort of a routing problem that's affecting more
than one ISP?

Adam.

Enkidu

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:08:26 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gavin Tunney)
wrote:

>Typical cryptic & uninformative message on their help page...
>
>Issue: Receiving Email
>Period: Intermittent
>
>Their email has been totally down for me since early yesterday
>evening....hardly what one could call intermittent. Just wondering if
>this was NZ wide or localised, has anyone been getting their mail ok?

I've got *heaps* of mail backing up for Xtra users....

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Olof Olsson

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:25:10 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Gavin Tunney)
wrote:

>One interesting side effect of a prolonged outage like this is the
>ISPs with mail queued waiting for Xtra will have started returning
>mail to sender after a set period, and most of that would be spam.
>Since most spam has invalid return addresses one wonders how much of
>it is now bouncing around the 'net looking for a home...

This is unlikely. ISPs would have a minimum of 3 days before bouncing
mail. Clear.net has a 5 day setting.

--Olof

Olof Olsson <(E-Mail Removed)>
There is a difference between knowing the
path and walking the path -- Morpheus