Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft concerns over possible unfair competition

Microsoft concerns over possible unfair competition

The Competition

The New Zealand Herald reports on Microsoft's concerns over possible unfair
competition, as a result of plans to develop a competing operating system.

Intending to offer an inexpensive and trustworthy alternative based on
Linux, it would have the potential to restrict Microsoft's domination and
monetary extraction techniques in a number of large Asain markets.

More at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3522451

Peter

this quote is from The Competition of Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:43:
> The New Zealand Herald reports on Microsoft's concerns over possible
> unfair competition, as a result of plans to develop a competing operating
> system.
>
> Intending to offer an inexpensive and trustworthy alternative based on
> Linux, it would have the potential to restrict Microsoft's domination and
> monetary extraction techniques in a number of large Asian markets.
>
> More at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3522451

It's just Microsoft showing their true colours.
Microsoft wants to deny consumers choice. They hate the idea that users
might be able to make their own choice of software, even if that software
is more secure and more reliable, and offers better performance and more
freedom in its use.

Surely, Microsoft can't be against government intervention. Elsewhere, they
have instigated this themselves, even getting the US government to heavy on
foreign countries in favour of Microsoft.

Or, you're not accusing Microsoft of being hypocritical, are you?

Peter

T.N.O.

"Peter" wrote
> Microsoft wants to deny consumers choice.

Quite the opposite, they want users to choose, rather than have govt
intervening.

> Surely, Microsoft can't be against government intervention. Elsewhere,

they
> have instigated this themselves, even getting the US government to heavy

on
> foreign countries in favour of Microsoft.

Have you ever accidentally run a red light, jay walk, litter, do anything
"illegal"? if so, did you run to the police station and report yourself.
People use others when it is convenient...that includes MS and the govt.

> Or, you're not accusing Microsoft of being hypocritical, are you?

only as hypocritical as almost all others.

T.N.O.

"Patrick FitzGerald" wrote
> They have an evil plan to control what you can run on your computer
> called Palladium.

Yuo gotta remember that more than MS is involved with this one.

steve

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> "The Competition" wrote
>> The New Zealand Herald reports on Microsoft's concerns over possible

> unfair
>> competition, as a result of plans to develop a competing operating
>> system.

> good on them.
> "We'd like to see the market decide who the winners are in the software
> industry," said Tom Robertson, Microsoft's Tokyo-based director for
> Government affairs in Asia.

The market IS deciding....and these governments, backed by some very large
local corporations, are building an alternative for themselves as the
supposedly 'free' market (in fact monopolised by Microsoft) is not able to
provide them with one.

steve

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> "Patrick FitzGerald" wrote
>> They have an evil plan to control what you can run on your computer
>> called Palladium.

> Yuo gotta remember that more than MS is involved with this one.

They are just bitching and moaning because Governments are the one player in
the market they can't run into the ground and force out of busines.

This action by China, Japan and Korea is a reaction to the US blocking of an
Asia Pacific initiative to back Open Source at a Tokyo conference a few
months ago.

Since the A/P-wide organisation was obstructed from making it policy, they -
and other countries like India - have decided to do it unilaterally.

Bush gave them the lead there.

Patrick FitzGerald

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:26:16 +1200, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Patrick FitzGerald" wrote
>> They have an evil plan to control what you can run on your computer
>> called Palladium.

>Yuo gotta remember that more than MS is involved with this one.

That is so, but Micro$oft is the demon driving the evil plan

Patrick

Rider

> They have an evil plan to control what you can run on your computer
> called Palladium.
>

> Let us ensure they never suceed in that very nasty plan

How do you propose to do that??

Rider

T.N.O.

"steve" wrote
> Put it this way.....I never got a monopoly one streetlights and I never

got
> paid US$50 billions for crossing the road illegally.
>
> Your petty infractions are hardly comparable to ripping of billions and
> billions globally through illegal business practices.

Even evil genius's have to start somewhere...

> > only as hypocritical as almost all others.

> Two wrongs make a right is corrupt thinking...and means there is no law.
> You don't want to go there. It's not nice.

I didnt say that two wrongs does make a right... just said that they are
only as hypocritical as others.
Also, Im not going anywhere

T.N.O.

"Patrick FitzGerald" wrote
> >Yuo gotta remember that more than MS is involved with this one.

> That is so, but Micro$oft is the demon driving the evil plan

and Intel.... and ...