Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Routing incoming port 80 requests thru an ADSL router

Re: Routing incoming port 80 requests thru an ADSL router

John Burns

My nokia M1122 has an option to 'disable external administrative
connections'
Basically it stops port 80 and 23 (telnet) access from the WAN side and only
from the LAN side.
My router ignores this setting if I have mapped port 80 as it takes
preference over mapped ports - yours may do in the opposite order.

Other thing....
Are you connecting to say 192.168.1.1 (adsl router ip) on port 80 expecting
it to map the port to your other private ip?? My router ONLY does this from
an external connection, in fact I can map external port 80 on my router to
EITHER an internal or external ip and port, but not from an internal one.

Hint...
go to www.whatismyip.com and get a friend to try and connect from outside of
your LAN (say dialup) and see if it works - you may be pleasantly surprised.

-John

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Hw67b.1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've set up a sub-domain to point to a server on my network that's hosting

> few web sites. DNS is working, but the router is putting up it's own
> web-based configuration site instead of routing the incoming port 80
> requests straight through.
>
> When I define a TCP mapping I can specify the public port and the private

IP
> and port that it maps to. I hoped that defining a port 80 mapping would
> bypass the router's internal web server, but apparently not. Can I do this
> without using something other than port 80?
>
> What obvious step am I missing?
>
> My ISP is iServe (basic plan, static IP), the router is a 3Com OCR-812.
>
> TIA
>
> Alan

Alan

I tried looking for an option to disable the WAN configuration interface but
it doesn't seem to have one. I moved the router's HTTP server to port 8080
so the current config now allows requests to come in on port 80 from the
Internet and these requests are forwarded to 192.168.0.21:8080 by the router
(which is my internal web server). Now I'm getting 'page can't be displayed
errors' even though the site is up though on my side of the router.

Anyone know of a simple sniffer that I can use to see what's happening to
the requests that are being forwarded by the router on port 80->8080?
Just out of interest, is NAT on the router going to stuff with the host
header i.e. is it still safe to use the host header to distinguish between
multiple sites on my server (with the same IP addr and port).

Thanks for the suggestions John.

Cheers,

Alan

news:bjj68u$c9o$(E-Mail Removed)...

adsl router to adsl router czar Cisco 2 05-01-2007 05:42 AM
Adsl Router > Dual Wan Load Balancing Router > 24 port Switch Hub nazeth Hardware 0 03-28-2007 08:36 AM
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'incoming.yahoo.verzon.net', Server: 'incoming.yahoo.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Michael Bower Computer Support 3 10-01-2006 03:44 PM
Re: Routing incoming port 80 requests thru an ADSL router Alan NZ Computing 0 09-11-2003 02:51 AM

Advertisments