Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > More Memory?

More Memory?

Nicolaas Hawkins

I am running a none-too-new system - Win 98SE on a PII/400 w/128Mb RAM -
I don't do anything too ambitious - E-Mail (of course), newsgroups, a
little websurfing, simple spreadsheets, WP and simple DTP, and a little
work with .JPG files; I am NOT a games person. Although it's no speed
demon, it's no slug either and I am reasonably satisfied with its
performance.

I am wondering if a memory upgrade to, say, 256 or 384Mb is going to give a
performance improvement such as will blow my socks off, or whether any
improvement will be barely worthwhile.

I welcome input from anyone who _knows_.

--
Nicolaas.

- If you can't be good, then be good at it!

E. Scrooge

"Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjdami$8dj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running a none-too-new system - Win 98SE on a PII/400 w/128Mb RAM -
> I don't do anything too ambitious - E-Mail (of course), newsgroups, a
> little websurfing, simple spreadsheets, WP and simple DTP, and a little
> work with .JPG files; I am NOT a games person. Although it's no speed
> demon, it's no slug either and I am reasonably satisfied with its
> performance.
>
> I am wondering if a memory upgrade to, say, 256 or 384Mb is going to give

> performance improvement such as will blow my socks off, or whether any
> improvement will be barely worthwhile.
>
> I welcome input from anyone who _knows_.
>
> --
> Nicolaas.

Try out a free memory manager like RAMpage, it will keep what you've got
ticking along. By the sound of it you don't need more memory unless you
want to do more intensive things.

E. Scrooge

Gavin Tunney

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:57:23 +0000 (UTC), Nicolaas Hawkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running a none-too-new system - Win 98SE on a PII/400 w/128Mb RAM -
>I don't do anything too ambitious - E-Mail (of course), newsgroups, a
>little websurfing, simple spreadsheets, WP and simple DTP, and a little
>work with .JPG files; I am NOT a games person. Although it's no speed
>demon, it's no slug either and I am reasonably satisfied with its
>performance.
>
>I am wondering if a memory upgrade to, say, 256 or 384Mb is going to give a
>performance improvement such as will blow my socks off, or whether any
>improvement will be barely worthwhile.
>
>I welcome input from anyone who _knows_.

One of my workstations is a similar system Nicolaas, and I found going
from 128 to 256 a worthwhile upgrade. Nothing startling but it did
make a noticeable difference when working with graphics and when
multi-tasking. Best guide is to keep an eye on the hard drive. If it
works a lot you need more RAM

A good tip for older systems like that; Use a FAT16 partition for the
primary boot partition. It only allows 2gigs & wastes a bit of space
because of 32k clusters, but it considerably speeds up Windows.

Cheers

Gavin

E. Scrooge

"Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use a Celly 450. Win 98SE. Upgraded the RAM to max (512 Kb) and was
> pleased with the improvement.
>
> IB

What?
For just doing emails and some other very light workloads?
(which is all he's doing)
LOL

My other PC has a Gig of RAM and 128MB video card. The difference in typing
an email on it is NOTHING, and when it comes to sending it over the Pentium
200 it's bugger all.
What it will do are extreme tasking things that the little PC wouldn't even
look at, but that isn't a problem for the original poster. If it was, he'd
be better to put his money towards a better PC anyway. In the meantime, he
might as well put it into a digital camera or cheap scanner or something.

There are programs that would cripple your system, but you're not likely to
run them any more than the other guy is. He's stated what his PC is used
for, which is good. It does what he wants whether it has more RAM in it or
not. His load times for IE and OE would be a couple of seconds quicker, if
he's lucky.

If he wants the best out of a scanner then more RAM would definitely help
and speed things along, but the difference wouldn't be that great compared
to mid range scans.

E. Scrooge

Phillip Weston

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:19:11 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ian Boag)
scribbled:

>I use a Celly 450. Win 98SE. Upgraded the RAM to max (512 Kb) and was
>pleased with the improvement.

Don't you mean 512MB?

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

~misfit~

"E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
news:bjdhu1$1gb$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjdami$8dj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am running a none-too-new system - Win 98SE on a PII/400 w/128Mb RAM -
> > I don't do anything too ambitious - E-Mail (of course), newsgroups, a
> > little websurfing, simple spreadsheets, WP and simple DTP, and a little
> > work with .JPG files; I am NOT a games person. Although it's no speed
> > demon, it's no slug either and I am reasonably satisfied with its
> > performance.
> >
> > I am wondering if a memory upgrade to, say, 256 or 384Mb is going to

give
> > performance improvement such as will blow my socks off, or whether any
> > improvement will be barely worthwhile.
> >
> > I welcome input from anyone who _knows_.
> >
> > --
> > Nicolaas.

> Try out a free memory manager like RAMpage, it will keep what you've got
> ticking along. By the sound of it you don't need more memory unless you
> want to do more intensive things.

Does that work Scrooge? I've heard that most of those types of proggy don't
do much. Have you tried it?

Thanks,
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~

"Ben Perston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f5a8083$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>
> > I am running a none-too-new system - Win 98SE on a PII/400 w/128Mb RAM -
> > I don't do anything too ambitious - E-Mail (of course), newsgroups, a
> > little websurfing, simple spreadsheets, WP and simple DTP, and a little
> > work with .JPG files; I am NOT a games person. Although it's no speed
> > demon, it's no slug either and I am reasonably satisfied with its
> > performance.
> >
> > I am wondering if a memory upgrade to, say, 256 or 384Mb is going to

give a
> > performance improvement such as will blow my socks off, or whether any
> > improvement will be barely worthwhile.
> >
> > I welcome input from anyone who _knows_.

> There's a utility somewhere in accessories -> system tools called um,
> system performance monitor or something like that. It graphs against
> time various things, one of which can be allocated memory. I think as a
> rough guide, if this goes over the amount of memory you have, a $40
> upgrade to 256 Mb is probably worthwhile.

If his board supports the new high-density chips which are all you can seem
to buy now. A $40 upgrade? Whence comes that figure? (I have a mate with a
Cyrix 333 or whatever they called them who wants to up his RAM from 64Mb
(2nd machine) and I didn't know it could be had that cheaply)
--
~misfit~

---

Ian Boag

MB. True.

I do quite a bit of graphic work with digicam and film scanner stuff.
PSP using stuff from 3 MP dcam and 4000 film scanner. I'm happy with
how it processes pix that are up to about 20 MB.

I can afford a better machine/later OS but can't be bothered with the
drama of shifting all the HDD contents. Drivers etc etc. There's so
much stuff on it that came off the Net etc that I won't even THINK
about a clean rebuild. Gor better things to do with the rest of my
life

Phillip Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:19:11 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ian Boag)
>scribbled:
>
>>I use a Celly 450. Win 98SE. Upgraded the RAM to max (512 Kb) and was
>>pleased with the improvement.

>Don't you mean 512MB?
>
>--
>Phillip Weston
>Taumarunui, New Zealand
>
>Remove the obvious spamblock to reply via e-mail.

E. Scrooge

"Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >What?
> >For just doing emails and some other very light workloads?
> >(which is all he's doing)
> >LOL

> What are you going to do with the rest if your life Eb - now that you
> know everything and have mind reading sorted too?
>
> >My other PC has a Gig of RAM and 128MB video card. The difference in

typing
> >an email on it is NOTHING, and when it comes to sending it over the

Pentium
> >200 it's bugger all.
> >What it will do are extreme tasking things that the little PC wouldn't

even
> >look at, but that isn't a problem for the original poster. If it was,

he'd
> >be better to put his money towards a better PC anyway. In the meantime,

he
> >might as well put it into a digital camera or cheap scanner or something.

> A night on the town perhaps? It's a taste thing .....
> >
> >There are programs that would cripple your system, but you're not likely

> >run them any more than the other guy is.

> For example?
>
> >He's stated what his PC is used
> >for, which is good. It does what he wants whether it has more RAM in it

or
> >not.

> I think he wanted to know if it might do them better with more RAM ...
> I was only able to relate my own experience. Your informed
> supposition would be heaps more useful. After all you own a PC with a
> gig of RAM and a 128 MB video card.

For what you're doing you probably need at least half of the 512MB that
you've got, since he's a lighter user he won't gain much from what he's
doing now. He's outlined his main uses for his PC. He won't notice any
difference with emails and general surfing the Net etc.

You could try this, but it probably won't do you much good without a bit
more grunt. If it does work it's well worth seeing.

http://www.superxstudios.com/Product...capes/home.htm

Minimum System Requirements
----

Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 Pro, XP Home, or XP Pro
DirectX 8.1 or above
500 Mhz CPU
128 MB RAM
16 MB Video Card

Good Luck. It works just fine on this PC.

You did ask what would cripple your system. It will at least slow it up if
it works at all for you.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
news:N%v6b.139534$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
> news:bjdhu1$1gb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bjdami$8dj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am running a none-too-new system - Win 98SE on a PII/400 w/128Mb

RAM -
> > > I don't do anything too ambitious - E-Mail (of course), newsgroups, a
> > > little websurfing, simple spreadsheets, WP and simple DTP, and a

little
> > > work with .JPG files; I am NOT a games person. Although it's no speed
> > > demon, it's no slug either and I am reasonably satisfied with its
> > > performance.
> > >
> > > I am wondering if a memory upgrade to, say, 256 or 384Mb is going to

> give
> > > performance improvement such as will blow my socks off, or whether any
> > > improvement will be barely worthwhile.
> > >
> > > I welcome input from anyone who _knows_.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Nicolaas.

> > Try out a free memory manager like RAMpage, it will keep what you've got
> > ticking along. By the sound of it you don't need more memory unless you
> > want to do more intensive things.

> Does that work Scrooge? I've heard that most of those types of proggy

don't
> do much. Have you tried it?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ~misfit~

If you're using Windows XP don't bother. I've got it working well on 2
PCs - my old Pentium 200 W95B - and a friends HP PC Pentium 500 III W98SE
with 64MB RAM that used to crash far too often until RAMpage was put on it.
Another friend with good grunt and W98 196MB RAM is also using it.

It frees up and refreshes the RAM a lot quicker, keeping the PC going more
reliable especially for a long time. It's worth giving it a try, it's rated
well in PC World. Very small program and easy to setup.

E. Scrooge