Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft: Asia not playing fair over OS

Reply
Thread Tools

Microsoft: Asia not playing fair over OS

 
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2003
You have to laugh about this one.

Monpolist Microsoft is reacting to 3 Asian governments deciding they need to
jointly develop a freely available open source operating system in order to
provide themselves with a choice.

Microsoft - a convicted illegal monopolist in the US and Europe - says this
is "unfair".

......the irony clearly escapes Microsoft....

"The market" includes governments tired of having no choice....

http://news.com.com/2100-1016-507206...t=dtx&tag=ntop
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2003
this quote is from steve of Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:31 :
> You have to laugh about this one.
>
> Monpolist Microsoft is reacting to 3 Asian governments deciding they need
> to jointly develop a freely available open source operating system in
> order to provide themselves with a choice.
>
> Microsoft - a convicted illegal monopolist in the US and Europe - says
> this is "unfair".
>
> .....the irony clearly escapes Microsoft....
>
> "The market" includes governments tired of having no choice....
> http://news.com.com/2100-1016-507206...t=dtx&tag=ntop


Yes - interesting.

The article says MS say governments should keep out of it. Yet MS gets the
government involved when it suits them, for example, in Peru ...
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54141,00.html

Of course, this is simply another case where MS seeks to deny customers any
choice. The sad part is that they may succeed. It is possible that MS
will lobby the US government (recipient of MS generous bribes / political
donations) to pressure those Asian governments to change their minds, as
part of some trade deal, perhaps?


Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2003
Peter wrote:

> Of course, this is simply another case where MS seeks to deny
> customers any choice. The sad part is that they may succeed. It is
> possible that MS will lobby the US government (recipient of MS
> generous bribes / political donations) to pressure those Asian
> governments to change their minds, as part of some trade deal,
> perhaps?


Or equally likely is the WTO will rule that it's a breach of existing trade
rules.

But, what if tose governments were to require open _data_ formats, that
would not be a breach of WTO rules, and would achieve much the the same
effect as requiring open _source_ .



 
Reply With Quote
 
Rupert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2003
arguably this is unfair only if those countries legislate that this new
operating system is the standard for the country and should be the only
option selected, if that is the case then it's clearly anticompetitive and
should be challenged.

unlike MS and the browser war - MS just gave away the software, it did not
stop people from using Netscape or others but the masses decided that IE was
good enough and couldn't be bothered downloading anything else....



"steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9yc6b.4666$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You have to laugh about this one.
>
> Monpolist Microsoft is reacting to 3 Asian governments deciding they need

to
> jointly develop a freely available open source operating system in order

to
> provide themselves with a choice.
>
> Microsoft - a convicted illegal monopolist in the US and Europe - says

this
> is "unfair".
>
> .....the irony clearly escapes Microsoft....
>
> "The market" includes governments tired of having no choice....
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1016-507206...t=dtx&tag=ntop



 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
Rupert allegedly said:

> unlike MS and the browser war - MS just gave away the software, it did not
> stop people from using Netscape or others but the masses decided that IE
> was good enough and couldn't be bothered downloading anything else....


The masses didn't know there was anything else.

My non-PC-literate neighbours all confirm this.

 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
"steve" wrote
> The masses didn't know there was anything else.
> My non-PC-literate neighbours all confirm this.


so Microsoft is at fault for the masses lack of education... right.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Neville
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f5bda4e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "steve" wrote
> > The masses didn't know there was anything else.
> > My non-PC-literate neighbours all confirm this.

>
> so Microsoft is at fault for the masses lack of education... right.
>


Did you know that MS is being sued for anti-competitive practices for not promoting
Linux with their Windows XP product?

Tony.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lennier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:27:57 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:

> Did you know that MS is being sued for anti-competitive practices for not
> promoting Linux with their Windows XP product?



Good!

Didn't know that... but am pleased to hear it!

Lennier

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lennier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:04:19 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:

> Yet
> somehow I believe given enough resources, you'd stoop low enough to be the
> flag bearer for any company that tried it.


I think that I'd "fly the flag" for any company which was honest,
reputable, and encouraged cooperation and openness. And I'd put the
boot into any company which discouraged the same.

Micro$oft has not exhibited any of those qualities - certainly not in
recent years as it has tried to obfuscate the faults of it's software and
throw FUD around about non-Micro$oft programmes and systems.

Lennier

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lennier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:19:59 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:

>> > Did you know that MS is being sued for anti-competitive practices for
>> > not

>> promoting Linux with their Windows XP product?
>>
>> nope... post the link.

>
> I made it up... Western justice has become so riddled with corruption
> such a scenario would be quite believable.


NZ's judicial system is NOT "so riddled with corruption"!

Lennier

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G Theo Markettos UK VOIP 2 02-14-2008 03:27 PM
FOR SOUTHEAST ASIA PER ORDER OF WORLD MEDIA HOST W. K. Mahler. mahlers.com Firefox 0 12-30-2004 08:26 PM
Asia and South East Asia digital Photo galleries Photo Digital Photography 2 08-28-2004 06:23 PM
What is The Microsoft Asia Most Valuable Professional (MVP) award ? SnowMan Microsoft Certification 2 02-17-2004 07:12 PM
VHDL congress on Asia James Chang VHDL 0 09-17-2003 12:47 PM



Advertisments