Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Advice needed on a small network

Reply
Thread Tools

Advice needed on a small network

 
 
kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003
Hi all

I run a small business and I want to connect together around 6 Windows
computers for sharing files and a couple of printers. What is the best
type of server/software to use. I also need to have connection to the
Internet for e-mail and web browsing, over a dial-up line, which
won't be used that regularly.

Thanks
--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003
Get an 8 port switch (about $60) connect all computers to this and have the
computer with the modem in it setup Internet Connection sharing. This will
supply the other computers with DHCP (ip numbers). Also i think there is an
option to allow "dial on demand", so that when one of the computers that is
connected needs to access the internet, the host computer automatically
starts connecting.



<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I run a small business and I want to connect together around 6 Windows
> computers for sharing files and a couple of printers. What is the best
> type of server/software to use. I also need to have connection to the
> Internet for e-mail and web browsing, over a dial-up line, which
> won't be used that regularly.
>
> Thanks
> --
> To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
> (E-Mail Removed)



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:26:57 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>I run a small business and I want to connect together around 6 Windows
>computers for sharing files and a couple of printers. What is the best
>type of server/software to use. I also need to have connection to the
>Internet for e-mail and web browsing, over a dial-up line, which
>won't be used that regularly.
>

There's the Microsoft approach (read - lot's of license fees) and
there's the Open Software approach (read- need for a bit of knowledge)

That's the first decision.

You say that you need a dial-up connection to the Internet for email
and web-browsing. While it is possible to run this way, be prepared
for the usage to skyrocket, especially in the email area.

You could either set up a peer network or have a dedicated server
(Win2003 if you go the Windows route, Linux RedHat as non-Windows).

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
that the conspiracy is working.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rupert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003
As you are already running Windows go for this option - just means that the
machine that connects to the internet must be Win98SE or higher.

Have this setup in my home office for 3 machines and works a treat - just
make sure you have a firewall of some sorts - even the built in MS one at a
pinch!

Also don't get a switch or routher that supports 100MB - not much more
expensive as when file sharing a 100MB network is much faster!



"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d286b.3788$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Get an 8 port switch (about $60) connect all computers to this and have

the
> computer with the modem in it setup Internet Connection sharing. This

will
> supply the other computers with DHCP (ip numbers). Also i think there is

an
> option to allow "dial on demand", so that when one of the computers that

is
> connected needs to access the internet, the host computer automatically
> starts connecting.
>
>
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all
> >
> > I run a small business and I want to connect together around 6 Windows
> > computers for sharing files and a couple of printers. What is the best
> > type of server/software to use. I also need to have connection to the
> > Internet for e-mail and web browsing, over a dial-up line, which
> > won't be used that regularly.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
> > (E-Mail Removed)

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2003
"Enkidu" wrote
> There's the Microsoft approach (read - lot's of license fees) and
> there's the Open Software approach (read- need for a bit of knowledge)


If he already has the machines, what licience costs will there be?

In saying that, I'd suggest going for a dedicated Linux distro ah-la
IPcop/smoothwall


 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2003
"Enkidu" wrote
> If he decides to use a server...


For 6 users? well I guess, but it would probably be a bit of overkill.


 
Reply With Quote
 
mnm snr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2003

dont forget about backing up the shared data (even if its only a
re-writable cd initially) and anti-virus software.

re-iterate: email (& web browsing) will be used regularly once your staff
& clients become aware of its existence in your business. especially when
you start expecting sales enquiries and email replies.






On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:26:57 +1200, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I run a small business and I want to connect together around 6 Windows
> computers for sharing files and a couple of printers. What is the best
> type of server/software to use. I also need to have connection to the
> Internet for e-mail and web browsing, over a dial-up line, which won't be
> used that regularly.
>
> Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2003
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:39:43 +1200, "T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Enkidu" wrote
>> If he decides to use a server...

>
>For 6 users? well I guess, but it would probably be a bit of overkill.
>

Oh, I don't know. You can only have 10 connections on a workstation,
and if they share files a lot, then they could easily reach 10
connections. Also a file server would simplify and rationalise file
storage and backup, authentication, security and lots of other things.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
that the conspiracy is working.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Uncle StoatWarbler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2003
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 06:51:40 +0800, Rupert wrote:

> As you are already running Windows go for this option - just means that the
> machine that connects to the internet must be Win98SE or higher.


Sure - if you don't mind being a magnet for every script kiddie out there.

Get a separate dialup box. Either a dedicated hardware firewall, or an old
pentium running Linux smoothwall.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small cameras getting too small? GRL Digital Photography 50 02-03-2006 03:12 AM
Small Square with small red X Peter Coddington Computer Support 4 01-03-2006 06:58 AM
Advice for Switch and Router solution for small office gegidio@spamhole.com Cisco 5 09-19-2005 04:40 PM
Microsoft small business server 2003 - help needed to understand what is needed to use it Dima Computer Support 5 10-20-2004 08:27 PM
Needed: Advice on Film Scanning, Or Website Which Has This Advice Larry R Harrison Jr Digital Photography 0 09-06-2003 01:00 AM



Advertisments