Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Memory cards

Memory cards

shark@tack.com

I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
expansion card or a SD memory card.

Which is the best card to use and why please.

TIA

max

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:33 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
>expansion card or a SD memory card.
>
>Which is the best card to use and why please.
>
>TIA

Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're paying
sony tax on.

The Other Guy

Isn't Memory Card (MC) limited to 128MB unless you get the Pro or
'switchable' variety?

SD is presently available in 256MB size (maybe 512MB), and 1GB by the end of
the year.

A 256MB card should cost you about $130+GST, I recently saw them advertised
in a catalogue (100%?) tor substancially more than this.

I can't tell you the difference between the two. SD is available in larger
capacity, which alone is reason to buy. SD cards also have locks to prevent
them being overwritten (or at least mine does, my MMC card does not).

The Other Guy

"E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
news:bj90cr$iis$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
> > expansion card or a SD memory card.
> >
> > Which is the best card to use and why please.
> >
> > TIA

> Sony Memory Stick - can have a good size memory for it's small size.
>
> It might help saying what brand of camera you've got while still kepping

the
> model a secret if you really want to.
>
> E. Scrooge

Brett Moffat

max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:33 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
>>expansion card or a SD memory card.
>>
>>Which is the best card to use and why please.
>>
>>TIA

> Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
> different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
> Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're paying
> sony tax on.

Why don't you guys RTFQ, he's asking about the difference between SD Cards
and Multimedia Cards.

Max, here's a link that may help
http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

max

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:10:00 +0000 (UTC), Brett Moffat
<eeek!@mouse.com> wrote:

>max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:33 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
>>>expansion card or a SD memory card.
>>>
>>>Which is the best card to use and why please.
>>>
>>>TIA

>> Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
>> different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
>> Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're paying
>> sony tax on.

>Why don't you guys RTFQ, he's asking about the difference between SD Cards
>and Multimedia Cards.
>
>Max, here's a link that may help
>http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

Both formats are on the way out and aren't really worth considering.
SD will last longer than MM(according to my camera shop).

Nicholas Sherlock

max wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:10:00 +0000 (UTC), Brett Moffat
> <eeek!@mouse.com> wrote:
>
>> max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
>>> different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
>>> Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're
>>> paying sony tax on.

>> Why don't you guys RTFQ, he's asking about the difference between SD
>> Cards and Multimedia Cards.
>>
>> Max, here's a link that may help
>> http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

> Both formats are on the way out and aren't really worth considering.
> SD will last longer than MM(according to my camera shop).

"I have a digital camera that will accept EITHER a MMC or a SD card". He's
not asking what is the best kind of memory out there. He can have EITHER MMC
or SD. He can't use anything except for MMC or SD. Got it?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

max

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:54:21 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>max wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:10:00 +0000 (UTC), Brett Moffat
>> <eeek!@mouse.com> wrote:
>>
>>> max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Why don't you guys RTFQ, he's asking about the difference between SD
>>> Cards and Multimedia Cards.
>>>
>>> Max, here's a link that may help
>>> http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

>> Both formats are on the way out and aren't really worth considering.
>> SD will last longer than MM(according to my camera shop).

>"I have a digital camera that will accept EITHER a MMC or a SD card". He's
>not asking what is the best kind of memory out there. He can have EITHER MMC
>or SD. He can't use anything except for MMC or SD. Got it?
>
>Cheers,
>Nicholas Sherlock

OK I haven't come across that type of digital camera before, must be a
low spec or older model one. The ones I have seem accept almost all
formats apart from the Sony mem stick.

Mainlander

says...
> I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
> expansion card or a SD memory card.
>
> Which is the best card to use and why please.

SD = secure digital, that is the newer standard that the industry has
brought in.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:33 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
> >expansion card or a SD memory card.
> >
> >Which is the best card to use and why please.
> >
> >TIA

> Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
> different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
> Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're paying
> sony tax on.

He didn't say his camera had a memory stick or compact flash slot in it,
duh!!!!

Also there are several third party manufacturers of memory stick, which
is very cost competitive with other types of media.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:54:21 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >max wrote:

> >> Both formats are on the way out and aren't really worth considering.
> >> SD will last longer than MM(according to my camera shop).

> >"I have a digital camera that will accept EITHER a MMC or a SD card". He's
> >not asking what is the best kind of memory out there. He can have EITHER MMC
> >or SD. He can't use anything except for MMC or SD. Got it?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Nicholas Sherlock
> >

> OK I haven't come across that type of digital camera before, must be a
> low spec or older model one. The ones I have seem accept almost all
> formats apart from the Sony mem stick.

Rubbish, there are hardly any cameras (if any at all) that come with
slots for all the formats (about 6 or 7). They all fit one or two
compatible types.

SD is very common and is supported by a wide range of manufacturers with
among the big names Panasonic and JVC. SD is a collaboration between
Matsushita, Toshiba and Sandisk.

Your claims about it being an old format on the way out are also
nonsense, it is a newer format similar to Magic Gate Memory Stick /
Memory Stick Pro being designed to offer content copyright management.