Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ....another idiot criminal

....another idiot criminal

Russell Smithies

from comp.risks:

"A man stole a $2500 GPS-based computerized home-detention tracking device
that had been temporarily left outside the home of the woman who was
supposed to be wearing it. By the time she reported the loss, prison
officials had already rounded up the thief. [Source: AP item 1 Sep 2003]"

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...evice,0,401537
4.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

Miche

In article <CBO5b.137579$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> from comp.risks:
>
> "A man stole a $2500 GPS-based computerized home-detention tracking device
> that had been temporarily left outside the home of the woman who was
> supposed to be wearing it. By the time she reported the loss, prison
> officials had already rounded up the thief. [Source: AP item 1 Sep 2003]"
>
> http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...evice,0,401537
> 4.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

Well DUH.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

techie

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:06:45 +1200, Miche <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <CBO5b.137579$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> from comp.risks:
>>
>> "A man stole a $2500 GPS-based computerized home-detention tracking device
>> that had been temporarily left outside the home of the woman who was
>> supposed to be wearing it. By the time she reported the loss, prison
>> officials had already rounded up the thief. [Source: AP item 1 Sep 2003]"
>>
>> http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...evice,0,401537
>> 4.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

>Well DUH.

I used to have a friend with hundreds of "dumb criminal" jokes
accumulated during his career as a prison psychologist. I've forgotton
most, but one was a bank robber who'd written his hold-up note on the
back of a deposit slip taken from his own checkbook.

In prison, this is known as "stupid in a no-stupid zone". )

Another of his clients got caught when he and his cohort left their
unattended getaway car in a tow-away zone right in front of the bank.
By the time they'd worked up their nerve, robbed the bank, and got
back to the street with armed bank guards in hot pursuit and a few
dozen police cars closing in, their getaway car had been towed off.

I also recall a holdup in the US a few years ago in which the bank
teller told a drugged-out crook that he'd have to fill out a pile of
withdrawal slips because the computer would only dispense $500 at a
time into her cash drawer for each withdrawal slip. He was still
filling out the slips, and she was handing him $500 for each one, when
the police arrived.

Oh, and there was one in the news a few months ago where a
convenience-store robber nervously pulled out his gun. Problem was, he
hadn't planned things too well and still had his wallet in his other
hand. So when the proprietor started handing him the money he dropped
the wallet on the counter for a moment so he'd have a hand free to
stuff the money in his pockets - then ran off, forgetting the wallet
containing his picture ID with his home address. The police were
waiting for him when he got home a few hours later, still not
realizing he'd left his wallet behind.

Luthien

Russell Smithies wrote:

> from comp.risks:
>
> "A man stole a $2500 GPS-based computerized home-detention tracking device
> that had been temporarily left outside the home of the woman who was
> supposed to be wearing it. By the time she reported the loss, prison
> officials had already rounded up the thief. [Source: AP item 1 Sep 2003]"
>
> http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...evice,0,401537
> 4.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

HAHAHAHA! That is SO funny!

Col^

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:21:28 -0500, techie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:06:45 +1200, Miche <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <CBO5b.137579$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> from comp.risks:
>>>
>>> "A man stole a $2500 GPS-based computerized home-detention tracking device
>>> that had been temporarily left outside the home of the woman who was
>>> supposed to be wearing it. By the time she reported the loss, prison
>>> officials had already rounded up the thief. [Source: AP item 1 Sep 2003]"
>>>
>>> http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...evice,0,401537
>>> 4.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

>>Well DUH.

>I used to have a friend with hundreds of "dumb criminal" jokes
>accumulated during his career as a prison psychologist. I've forgotton
>most, but one was a bank robber who'd written his hold-up note on the
>back of a deposit slip taken from his own checkbook.
>
>In prison, this is known as "stupid in a no-stupid zone". )
>
>Another of his clients got caught when he and his cohort left their
>unattended getaway car in a tow-away zone right in front of the bank.
>By the time they'd worked up their nerve, robbed the bank, and got
>back to the street with armed bank guards in hot pursuit and a few
>dozen police cars closing in, their getaway car had been towed off.
>
>I also recall a holdup in the US a few years ago in which the bank
>teller told a drugged-out crook that he'd have to fill out a pile of
>withdrawal slips because the computer would only dispense $500 at a
>time into her cash drawer for each withdrawal slip. He was still
>filling out the slips, and she was handing him $500 for each one, when
>the police arrived.
>
>Oh, and there was one in the news a few months ago where a
>convenience-store robber nervously pulled out his gun. Problem was, he
>hadn't planned things too well and still had his wallet in his other
>hand. So when the proprietor started handing him the money he dropped
>the wallet on the counter for a moment so he'd have a hand free to
>stuff the money in his pockets - then ran off, forgetting the wallet
>containing his picture ID with his home address. The police were
>waiting for him when he got home a few hours later, still not
>realizing he'd left his wallet behind.

We have our share of stupid criminals in NZ too. One robbed at knifepoint the
coffee bar on the interisland ferry . Duh !!

One walked into the bank at Marton handed a note over and fled on his pushbike
with a couple of grand. When the police arrived they asked for a description.
One teller said "not necessary. We know him. He has an ccount here."

LOL

--

Col

Col's law.
Thinly sliced cabbage..

Col^

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:06:45 +1200, Miche <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <CBO5b.137579$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> from comp.risks:
>>
>> "A man stole a $2500 GPS-based computerized home-detention tracking device
>> that had been temporarily left outside the home of the woman who was
>> supposed to be wearing it. By the time she reported the loss, prison
>> officials had already rounded up the thief. [Source: AP item 1 Sep 2003]"
>>
>> http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...evice,0,401537
>> 4.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

>Well DUH.
>
>Miche

It doesn't surprise me that that happened to that crowd . They slapped a home
detention bracelet on one guy in NZ. Only trouble was he had an artificial
lower leg . And you guessed it. They stuck the bracelet on that leg .

--

Col

Col's law.
Thinly sliced cabbage..

T.N.O.

"Ralph" wrote
> Darwin Award candidate.
> Or do you have to die to be nominated?

yeah you gotta die... pity.

Miche

In article <bj8lgt$bnn$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ralph" <(E-Mail Removed)6.com> wrote:

> Darwin Award candidate.
> Or do you have to die to be nominated?

How is he a Darwin Award candidate? He didn't die or do anything else
to take himself out of the gene pool.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Miche

In article <bj8nd6$g10di$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Ralph" wrote
> > Darwin Award candidate.
> > Or do you have to die to be nominated?

> yeah you gotta die... pity.

Taking yourself out of the gene pool (ie genital or other reproductive
injury sufficient to preclude procreation) is sufficient.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

T.N.O.

"Miche" wrote
> Taking yourself out of the gene pool (ie genital or other reproductive
> injury sufficient to preclude procreation) is sufficient.

It seems I missed reading the rules... mind you, I dont really want to play
the game, so yeah.