Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Too Vulnerable

Too Vulnerable

archierob

PROBLEM

My pal who owns a printing shop has all his reproduction machines hard wired
up to 1 computer. As this recent virus attack proved he is far too
vulnerable and it has caused him/me much grief. All is well now thanks to
Stinger and patch.

He has 3 identical spec comps performing various functions only 1 is wired
up to machines. The people that downloaded the various progs to control
these printing machines charged him loadsa cash to install them - the less
YOU know the more THEY charge!. He has a 250 meg zip drive attached to the
comp also.

QUESTION

What would be the best plan for getting all the relevant stuff that drives
and controls those reproduction machines on to a zip disk so they can also
be downloaded to the 2 other comps.

Where exactly do I look for all this stuff? What exactly should I copy?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

If the drivers and things are installed then you may have problems. Perhaps
something like Ghost - you could create an image of the current machine and
replicate it on the other two. Good for restores in the future too.

I'd put a link in but the Norton site seems to be down. Try starting here
http://www.norton.com/ and having a look.

Alan

"archierob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj6q4r$p9t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> PROBLEM
>
> My pal who owns a printing shop has all his reproduction machines hard

wired
> up to 1 computer. As this recent virus attack proved he is far too
> vulnerable and it has caused him/me much grief. All is well now thanks to
> Stinger and patch.
>
> He has 3 identical spec comps performing various functions only 1 is wired
> up to machines. The people that downloaded the various progs to control
> these printing machines charged him loadsa cash to install them - the less
> YOU know the more THEY charge!. He has a 250 meg zip drive attached to the
> comp also.
>
> QUESTION
>
> What would be the best plan for getting all the relevant stuff that drives
> and controls those reproduction machines on to a zip disk so they can also
> be downloaded to the 2 other comps.
>
> Where exactly do I look for all this stuff? What exactly should I copy?
>
> Thanks in advance.

stumped

The august APC magazine has a utility on cd1 that extracts all drivers on a
windows PC to any destination. The result is a folder with sub folders for
each driver. This includes printer drivers.
Excellent tool for the price of a mag.

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QZF5b.1183$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the drivers and things are installed then you may have problems.

Perhaps
> something like Ghost - you could create an image of the current machine

and
> replicate it on the other two. Good for restores in the future too.
>
> I'd put a link in but the Norton site seems to be down. Try starting here
> http://www.norton.com/ and having a look.
>
> Alan
>
> "archierob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bj6q4r$p9t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > PROBLEM
> >
> > My pal who owns a printing shop has all his reproduction machines hard

> wired
> > up to 1 computer. As this recent virus attack proved he is far too
> > vulnerable and it has caused him/me much grief. All is well now thanks

> > Stinger and patch.
> >
> > He has 3 identical spec comps performing various functions only 1 is

wired
> > up to machines. The people that downloaded the various progs to control
> > these printing machines charged him loadsa cash to install them - the

less
> > YOU know the more THEY charge!. He has a 250 meg zip drive attached to

the
> > comp also.
> >
> > QUESTION
> >
> > What would be the best plan for getting all the relevant stuff that

drives
> > and controls those reproduction machines on to a zip disk so they can

also
> > be downloaded to the 2 other comps.
> >
> > Where exactly do I look for all this stuff? What exactly should I copy?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

bt

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:19:36 +1200, "stumped" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The august APC magazine has a utility on cd1 that extracts all drivers on a
>windows PC to any destination. The result is a folder with sub folders for
>each driver. This includes printer drivers.
>Excellent tool for the price of a mag.

Cool.

What is the name of the tool, does it have a web site, etc ?

Any chance of a copy ?

Brendan (Avatar)

--
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

stumped

http://www.jermar.com/

Last utility on first page.

"bt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:19:36 +1200, "stumped" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The august APC magazine has a utility on cd1 that extracts all drivers on

> >windows PC to any destination. The result is a folder with sub folders

for
> >each driver. This includes printer drivers.
> >Excellent tool for the price of a mag.

> Cool.
>
> What is the name of the tool, does it have a web site, etc ?
>
> Any chance of a copy ?
>

> Brendan (Avatar)
>
> --
> `,,`,,`,,`, ,`,
>
> Check out my cool Water Cooling Project!

http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

> Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
> My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

Ray Greene

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:16:09 +1200, "stumped" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.jermar.com/
>
>Last utility on first page.

It's an excellent utility too, I've used it a number of times.
However it doesn't appear to work with Windows 95. Also be aware that it only
backs up the actual drivers, not any extra software utilities that might have
been installed along with the drivers.

Ray Greene.