Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Time Server

Reply
Thread Tools

Time Server

 
 
Fred the Fish
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
Anybody know if something has happened to

truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz

my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt

and it's not responding to pings


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
-{-astrae-}-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
Same here.

Are there any other server in NZ to use?


"Fred the Fish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ixk5b.960$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody know if something has happened to
>
> truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
>
> my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
>
> and it's not responding to pings
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ewen McNeill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
In article <Ixk5b.960$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fred the Fish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anybody know if something has happened to
>truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz


Yup. They closed off public access to it. As of the end of July:

-=- cut here -=-
From: Kim Shepherd <(E-Mail Removed)>
To: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:52:30 +1200
Subject: [nznog] Notification: Disable Seconday Public (Stratum 2) NTP Service


The University of Waikato will cease to provide public stratum 2 NTP service as
of 31st July, 2003.

A list of alternative stratum 2 servers is available at the URL below:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

Regards,

Kim.
-=- cut here -=-

The stratum 2 server list (URL above) lists several others in
New Zealand, but it'd be even better if everyone asked their _ISP_ to
make a time server available (several ISPs already do). Otherwise
the other New Zealand ones will just get too much traffic and decide
not to do it either.

Ewen

--
Ewen McNeill, (E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Olson Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003

"Ewen McNeill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj4n40$883$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The stratum 2 server list (URL above) lists several others in
> New Zealand, but it'd be even better if everyone asked their _ISP_ to
> make a time server available (several ISPs already do). Otherwise
> the other New Zealand ones will just get too much traffic and decide
> not to do it either.
>
> Ewen
>
> --
> Ewen McNeill, (E-Mail Removed)


time.paradise.net.nz works


 
Reply With Quote
 
pbs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
Ewen McNeill wrote:

> The stratum 2 server list (URL above) lists several others in
> New Zealand, but it'd be even better if everyone asked their _ISP_ to
> make a time server available (several ISPs already do). Otherwise


VISP's server: ntp.iconz.co.nz {aliased e0.ts17.ak.iconz.net.nz}

 
Reply With Quote
 
Olson Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003

"-{-astrae-}-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1Bk5b.962$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Same here.
>
> Are there any other server in NZ to use?
>
>


time.paradise.net.nz
ntp1.actrix.co.nz
ntp2.actrix.co.nz
tk1.ihug.co.nz
tk2.ihug.co.nz
tk3.ihug.co.nz
ntp.massey.ac.nz
ntp.iprolink.co.nz
ntp.public.otago.ac.nz


 
Reply With Quote
 
T-Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2003
In article <Ixk5b.960$(E-Mail Removed)>, fred@not-
really.co.nz says...
> Anybody know if something has happened to
>
> truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
>
> my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
>
> and it's not responding to pings


You're a telstraclear customer? - why don't you use the TS time
server? ..

time.paradise.net.nz

(or maybe, time.clear.net.nz)

--
Duncan
 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred the Fish
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2003

"T-Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <Ixk5b.960$(E-Mail Removed)>, fred@not-
> really.co.nz says...
> > Anybody know if something has happened to
> >
> > truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
> >
> > my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
> >
> > and it's not responding to pings

>
> You're a telstraclear customer? - why don't you use the TS time
> server? ..
>
> time.paradise.net.nz
>
> (or maybe, time.clear.net.nz)
>
> --
> Duncan


I've been using the waikato NTP server for much longer than i have been with
Paradise and up till now had no reason to look for an alternative. If it's
not broke...

BTW I looked for and failed to find any reference to a time server on the
paradise site.


 
Reply With Quote
 
T-Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2003
In article <c_D5b.1147$(E-Mail Removed)>, fred@not-
really.co.nz says...
>
> "T-Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > In article <Ixk5b.960$(E-Mail Removed)>, fred@not-
> > really.co.nz says...
> > > Anybody know if something has happened to
> > >
> > > truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
> > >
> > > my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
> > >
> > > and it's not responding to pings

> >
> > You're a telstraclear customer? - why don't you use the TS time
> > server? ..
> >
> > time.paradise.net.nz
> >
> > (or maybe, time.clear.net.nz)
> >
> > --
> > Duncan

>
> I've been using the waikato NTP server for much longer than i have been with
> Paradise and up till now had no reason to look for an alternative. If it's
> not broke...
>
> BTW I looked for and failed to find any reference to a time server on the
> paradise site.


Don't worry - I can't remember where I found it

--
Duncan
 
Reply With Quote
 
Olson Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2003
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 21:55:29 +1200, Fred the Fish wrote:

>
> "T-Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
>> In article <Ixk5b.960$(E-Mail Removed)>, fred@not-
>> really.co.nz says...
>> > Anybody know if something has happened to
>> >
>> > truechimer1.waikato.ac.nz
>> >
>> > my freesco is reporting 'no server' on update attempt
>> >
>> > and it's not responding to pings

>>
>> You're a telstraclear customer? - why don't you use the TS time
>> server? ..
>>
>> time.paradise.net.nz
>>
>> (or maybe, time.clear.net.nz)
>>
>> --
>> Duncan

>
> I've been using the waikato NTP server for much longer than i have been with
> Paradise and up till now had no reason to look for an alternative. If it's
> not broke...
>
> BTW I looked for and failed to find any reference to a time server on the
> paradise site.


Does the Waikato site still work ?

The information you didn't find on the paradise site is here
http://paradise.net.nz/standard/page...f/paradise.pdf

HTH

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is time.time() < time.time() always true? flamesrock Python 8 11-24-2006 06:51 AM
Re: interpreting the fractional portion of time.clock() vs time.time(0measurements Peter Hansen Python 0 02-22-2006 02:02 PM
Re: interpreting the fractional portion of time.clock() vs time.time()measurements Peter Hansen Python 0 02-22-2006 12:03 AM
time.clock() or time.time() peterbe@gmail.com Python 8 08-05-2005 01:51 PM
delta time = time stop - time start engsol Python 2 01-26-2004 12:06 PM



Advertisments