Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Software Customer Bill of Rights

Software Customer Bill of Rights

T.N.O

"techie" wrote
> If it says anywhere on the outside of the box that I'm purchasing a
> license, then I don't buy it.

Do you drive?

> I don't know about NZ, but not in the US they don't. Shrink-wrap
> licenses are specifically nullified in many of our states and under US
> contract law it's even doubtful if they're enforceable anyway.

MS offer software liciences online... I read one the otherday before
downloading something(sorry cant think of the link)

> >it is Their IP that went into it - what makes you think that just
> >because you paid for it you own it.

> The marketing and packaging.

<joke>Then I suggest you read the licience that you agreed to when you
install the software. </joke>

> I just tell them it's *my* bag now, but for $1 I'll let them peek
> inside.

Does it work... I would imagine that they'd call the cops.

techie

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 10:32:24 +1200, "T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"techie" wrote
>> If it says anywhere on the outside of the box that I'm purchasing a
>> license, then I don't buy it.

>Do you drive?

I hope you're not going to try the usual lame comparsion between a
driver's license and a software license?

>> I don't know about NZ, but not in the US they don't. Shrink-wrap
>> licenses are specifically nullified in many of our states and under US
>> contract law it's even doubtful if they're enforceable anyway.

>MS offer software liciences online... I read one the otherday before
>downloading something(sorry cant think of the link)

Having to drive home and get on the web to find out what you're buying
isn't "ready access". The term is usually defined such that the
license must be right on the box or posted very close nearby or must
be otherwise obtainable with only a few minutes of effort.

However... the worst that can happen from the software vendor's
perspective is that the consumer who can't get "ready access" to the
license and wants to put up a fight under the law, is still limited by
copyright law and only gets "fair use" of the software. So it's really
a useless law, unless you're nitpicking on Usenet. )

>> >it is Their IP that went into it - what makes you think that just
>> >because you paid for it you own it.

>> The marketing and packaging.

><joke>Then I suggest you read the licience that you agreed to when you
>install the software. </joke>

Licenses presented after money exchanges hands aren't binding.

>> I just tell them it's *my* bag now, but for $1 I'll let them peek
>> inside.

>Does it work... I would imagine that they'd call the cops.

Usually those people have instructions not to get too pushy unless
they have a real reason to suspect something. They're there more to
intimidate shoplifters by showing that the store has security than
because every last bag needs to be inspected. It's the human
equivalent of those fake plastic video cameras with the big flashing
red lights that all the stores used to use, or Walmarts frantic
"security, we have a code 24 in section 3" announcements over their
speaker systems.

Here in the US, some department stores actually hire shills to play
the part of shoplifters who get arrested. With shoppers looking on
they "get caught in the act", put on a pretty good performance of
shame and regret, are handcuffed and led off in tears by a
stern-looking cop. Then they both drive to the next store, the actor
goes in first, and after a little while the cop is summoned in to
arrest them.

Steven H

> Does it work... I would imagine that they'd call the cops.

yes it works, the POLICE need a warrant to enter into your private
domain - bags etc..

so sure as hell some dumb **** security guard wont be allowed to search
your bags.

just say NO, if they persist say NO if they still persist leave.

Steven H

Lennier

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:32:00 +1200, Steven H wrote:

>> Because they paid for it

> no you blody well didnt
>
> you pay for a LICENCE that gives you the right to USE the software in
> accordance with the terms and conditions of the licence.

This is why people are increasingly turning to Open Source software.

That way they can truly do what they like with their software.

The future is Open!

Lennier

T.N.O

"Lennier" wrote
> The future is Open!

I said that to my girlfriend in bed, and she thought I was being rude

Lennier

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:39:47 -0500, techie wrote:

>>your argument has no valadity - since when do you buy a licence to read a
>>book.

> Exactly. Nor do I buy a license to use software. The license isn't what's
> marketed in advertising or on the packaging.

True!

Lennier

Lennier

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:20:46 +1200, Steven H wrote:

>> They own the copy of IP that they purchased.

> no they Own a Licence to use the IP - any lawyer will tell you that.

They purchased software - not a licence.

The packaging sells software - not sells a licence.

The only place where anything about licencing is mentioned is usually as a
part of the installation routine.

Usually at no time during any stage during the process of purchasing said
software is anything about purchasing a licence mentioned.

Lennier

Lennier

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:20:46 +1200, Steven H wrote:

> no contract can let a supplier contract out of what is local law

FYI, "local laws" are known as "by-laws" and are enacted by
town/city/regional councils.

National law is known simply as "The Law" and is enacted by Parliament and
endorsed/approved by Elizabeth Windsor or her representative.

Other than the Common Law - common to all nations who derive their law
from ancient British law there is no other kind of law applicable in NZ.

The future is Open!

Lennier

Lennier

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:20:46 +1200, Steven H wrote:

> you do not "Own" Software - you own a right to use it in accordance with
> the licence. the only person who "owns" software is the person or persons
> who made it.

This is only true when speaking of proprietary closed-source software.

In the case of Open Source software, or software that is now in the public
domain, no one "owns" it. Everyone is able to use it and to modify it and
to distribute the modified versions in whatever manner they want - so long
as they too publish the source code.

The future is Open!

Lennier

Lennier

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:54:52 +1200, T.N.O wrote:

> "Lennier" wrote
>> The future is Open!

> I said that to my girlfriend in bed, and she thought I was being rude

The future is also an as yet unwritten page...

Lennier